Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom: Going over allowance? How lenient.

• 27-06-2006 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭

I'm quite a substantial amount over my allowance at the moment (Around 60gigs or so in total, when I had 20). I've heard that eircom never charge, but I've never gone over by this much, only usually about 5-10. How much do you have to go over before they notice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

I've just looked at my stats and was surpised to see I've not been over in the last two years - the only data they display. I suspect the total download limit has been upped in that time and that I was over substantially in the past and I've never been billed/contacted about it.

Having said that you are WAY over, so I'd be careful over the next few months.

TBH with that level of downloading, Eircom should probably be the least of your concerns since my suspicious mind suggests they are not all legit downloads you're doing there !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

m_stan wrote:
    I've just looked at my stats and was surpised to see I've not been over in the last two years - the only data they display. I suspect the total download limit has been upped in that time and that I was over substantially in the past and I've never been billed/contacted about it.

Having said that you are WAY over, so I'd be careful over the next few months.

TBH with that level of downloading, Eircom should probably be the least of your concerns since my suspicious mind suggests they are not all legit downloads you're doing there !

The morality Police....oh no!....Run for it!!!!!!

trust me - that aint me. My download queue is as bad as anyone elses in terms of it's content but I don't go as far as 3 times my download limit ! Just warning the OP to be careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Eircom have not charged anyone as far as I'm aware, however, they could very well disconnect you if you go over by a lot. 3x the limit kind of pushing it. I went four times over my cap with BT one month and got disconnected for a day. I've been much more carefull with it since then though. I'd try to keep it below double the limit and if this is a problem then up to the next package which has a 30G cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Well, it's not just me. There are 5 PCs, an Xbox 360, an XDA Mini and a PSP using the wireless network. I know my brother downloaded about 10 Xbox demos and the GRAW update, which is the bones of 10gigs.

I'll just have to make sure a few PCs are idle next month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Yeah thats allot over if u ask me. I say me and my bro go over about 10gigs per month on the 20gig limit. We are a bit scared to go any more but maybe we should not!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

They don't really do anything unless you really take the piss. Back when the allowance was 4gigs, I'd go over every month by about double that at the very minimum, and I never heard anything about it.

A friend of mine uses Eircom and he seems to be literally downloading movies, game and similar large size stuff 24/7, always running torrents and such, but he hasn't heard anything about it in the last few months he's been using them...I'd estimate he's gone over his cap by almost 3x at least each month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

HavoK wrote:
    They don't really do anything unless you really take the piss.

They dont do anything when you do really take the piss either.

I go 10x over the limit and have never even been warned

Phew. That's a relief. Thanks, WellyJ. Going to seriously consider going to Magnet though. 60quid a month for an 8meg connection, 150gig limit and TV/phone as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Here's some further relief for all those worried,

http://img252.imageshack.us/my.php?image=crazy5xr.jpg

Not going over as much as i thought lately but you can clearly see months of 150GB +

With the peak at 178GB in November

I've never even been contacted let alone charged,

So happy d/ling Eircom users!

• Advertisement

You are after giving me so much relief, mate. Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Jeez thats a relief! I was getting nervous going 4 or 5 GB over my 20Gig allowance.

At the risk of sounding like a stick-in-the-mud, I'd still avoid going too much over the limit. If too may people start downloading excessive amounts, we'll all be hit with throttling, cut-offs, etc. eventually! We all signed the contract!

That or just move to Magnet and it's 150gig limit for the same price :)

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Haha! Good point!! :D

Well, for those of us lucky enough to have the option anyway!

WellyJ wrote:
    Here's some further relief for all those worried,

http://img252.imageshack.us/my.php?image=crazy5xr.jpg

Not going over as much as i thought lately but you can clearly see months of 150GB +

With the peak at 178GB in November

I've never even been contacted let alone charged,

So happy d/ling Eircom users!

holy cow. Good thing you don't live inn Spain mate !

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Woody_FX

Omg you guys do abuse the system. Now i know why sometimes my connection seems to be suffering! Cause you guys are download every piece of crap you can find on the internet >.<

Would be nice if a company made an ISP or package for games with super pings. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

For the year or so that I had it I exceeded and almost doubled my download cap each month. I was not charged once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

read the terms and conditions. eircom reserve the right to retrospectivly change people for going over the allowance. just wait untill the new owners come in !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

gordonnet wrote:
    read the terms and conditions. eircom reserve the right to retrospectivly change people for going over the allowance. just wait untill the new owners come in !!!!

When did this happen ? They bought out yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I love these "dont worry about it threads". I need to be convinced every now and then, especially this month... damn ghost whisperer, damn greys anatomy, damn rambo.....

I blame them all....

• Advertisement

gordonnet wrote:

I'd like to see them try. Taking our super high user into account, for every gig he went over, he would be charged 10.24c, compared to the .50c Magnet charge. There would be some fun (and heart attacks) if they charged for all over-limit usage!

Advertisement