Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardening and the North

Options
  • 27-06-2006 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

What is it with Northerners and broad beans, like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

luckat wrote:
    What is it with Northerners and broad beans, like?

where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

It's just that people in DADA FT (Down, Armagh, Derry, Antrim, Fermanagh, Tyrone) seem to grow and eat broad beans much more than those in southern counties.

Used to work with a Northerner who went into a rage every summer because he couldn't buy fresh broad beans in the markets in Dublin - he'd get the train northwards to go to markets and come home laden with bags of them.

And I was reading a book recently where someone's talking about putting in the broad bean rows - again, a northern reference.

(Personally I love the things. Simmered till tender, then served in a tomato sauce topped with sizzled cheese, mmm...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I also wonder if there's that Protestant-Catholic divide on this that so fascinates southerners - like the way "Protestant sandwiches" are cut rectangular and "Catholic sandwiches" cut crossways. Do broad beans have a religio-social alignment?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Benster

I cycled past a field near Ashbourne last week, fullov'em, it was. Must be some entrepreneur looking to break into the Northern market... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭wheelbarrow

Benster wrote:
    I cycled past a field near Ashbourne last week, fullov'em, it was. Must be some entrepreneur looking to break into the Northern market... :rolleyes:

Their great fried....can you get them down here?

Also a severe lack of ruffle bars and beef flavoured mini chips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭solskjaer20

Broad beans are a nordie thing?

I've never heard a nordie go on about.

They're nice, although I've probably only ate them about 30 times in my whole life.

Advertisement