Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef Jerky anyone?

• 27-06-2006 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭

hey all,

Just curious to see has anyone here ever tryed to make beef or prok jerky, with any success?

~ Idgeitman

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

Idgeitman wrote:
    hey all,

Just curious to see has anyone here ever tryed to make beef or prok jerky, with any success?

~ Idgeitman
    Yes, I made up a load of this last year for a hiking trip, it turned out really well, very tasty, easy to pack and kept us going when we needed energy. It was also surprisingly easy to make, the only time-consuming part was the drying.

The best instructions I came across were here: http://www.alljerky.com/wwwboard/wwwboard.html.

I used some good lean sirloin, read a few recipies then came up with my own concoction for the marinade, I forget exactly what it was but included red wine, garlic, and some soy sauce.

The important things to remember are - trim off all the fat leaving only the lean red meat, also try to stick to the size they recommend for the slices. It shrinks down a fair bit to less than 1/3 of its original size / weight so keep that in mind when buying your meat. I used toothpicks threaded with 2-3 strips to hang it from the oven rack for drying, remember to leave the oven door ajar when drying to allow the moisture to escape. Also don't be tempted to turn up the heat on the oven to speed up the process - just follow the directions on that website and you can't go wrong.

Advertisement