Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CRT TV's and HD

• 27-06-2006 1:35pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've started to look around for a HDTV and before I started I thought you could only get HD with LCD or Plasma.

I've since come across a Samsung CRT HDTV as discussed here and a reading this thread Philips are set to launch a CRT HDTV as well.

Whats the state of play when you comepare CRT -v- Plasma & LCD? I was always under the impression the CRT gave a nicer image but is that still the case with HD Plasma & LCD?

What would people recommed?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

crt's can natively do 1080i, they're not fixed pixel resolutions, which was one advantage over plasma and lcd, but the new batch of flatscreens looks to be addressing that..

i have a 48" HD rear projection CRT i brought back from the states with me whan i moved back...it has a better picture than most flatscreens on HD material, and 480p material for that matter. SD stuff is dependant on the source, goods source and it looks good..bad source and well..it looks bad..

the problem with them is the space..mine is big...but if you can take that, that might not be a problem..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

mossym wrote:
    crt's can natively do 1080i, they're not fixed pixel resolutions, which was one advantage over plasma and lcd, but the new batch of flatscreens looks to be addressing that..

What does that actually mean? I dont know alot about TV's and only getting into it now.
    mossym wrote:

i have a 48" HD rear projection CRT i brought back from the states with me whan i moved back...it has a better picture than most flatscreens on HD material, and 480p material for that matter. SD stuff is dependant on the source, goods source and it looks good..bad source and well..it looks bad..

the problem with them is the space..mine is big...but if you can take that, that might not be a problem..

I saw a lovely Sony one a while back for €1k and was gona get it but didnt have the funds. Size isnt really an issue (pushing it up the stairs might!) but genearlly arent RVP very expensive? The one I saw was on sale

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

kearnsr wrote:
    What does that actually mean? I dont know alot about TV's and only getting into it now.

there's tons of pages on the web explaining that...better to do your research before you buy...try this one

it's from the USA, but the basics are the same
    http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108580-3.html?tag=main.understand

check out the resolutions part...
    kearnsr wrote:
    I saw a lovely Sony one a while back for €1k and was gona get it but didnt have the funds. Size isnt really an issue (pushing it up the stairs might!) but genearlly arent RVP very expensive? The one I saw was on sale

no idea about here...rptv's aren't as popular in Ireland as they are in the US. They were the big thing (no pun intended) before the flatscreens came along, so there was lots of models availabe. Here, not so much from what i've seen.

for the price you mentioned, are you sure it was hd? you can get big rptv's that'll only do 480i..not saying it wasn't..just make sure...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

mossym wrote:
    there's tons of pages on the web explaining that...better to do your research before you buy...try this one

it's from the USA, but the basics are the same
    http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-5108580-3.html?tag=main.understand

check out the resolutions part...

no idea about here...rptv's aren't as popular in Ireland as they are in the US. They were the big thing (no pun intended) before the flatscreens came along, so there was lots of models availabe. Here, not so much from what i've seen.

for the price you mentioned, are you sure it was hd? you can get big rptv's that'll only do 480i..not saying it wasn't..just make sure...

Not sure if it was HD. At the time I wasnt really looking out for a HD tv then I got an xbox 360 and thought to myself it maybe worth while.

Thanks for the link. I'll give it a read now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

A CRT doesn't have to interpolate the image like a flatscreen does. It just scans what it's given at the input and lets the shadow mask sort it out. An LCD/DLP/Plasma has to do maths on the image to work out what to put into each pixel when you feed it a resolution different from its native one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement