Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm Torn Between Friendship and Opportunity

Options
  • 27-06-2006 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi everybody! I've been lurking around these parts for a while now I've decided to become a member! So hi, all! It's great to be a part of Boards.ie! :)

My post today is in seeking advice or perspective from those who may have a clearer and wiser view of my situation than I do... :)
    I attend a secondary school in Limerick and I've just sat my Junior Certificate. I'm quite academic and take pride in my school work and hope to do very well in my Leaving Certificate- to attain enough points to study medicine (>580 points).

My current school, however, hasn't pleased my parents so far in any respect. We did not finish the Maths curriculum for the Junior Cert 'til perhaps a week before the exam, and had no time for class revision. I had a hopeless Science teacher whom showed no interest in teaching, in his students or in my own (or others') interest in Science. Then he left for a “break” and we were left with two entirely different teachers, teaching us in rotation for our last (and most crucial) half of Third Year! They were so much better than the original teacher, but the damage our previous teacher had done was irreversible. In Science, we also hadn't covered the course until the very last possible moment and it took a lot of personal striving and effort to make a decent attempt at the paper and actually revise the topics we had very poorly “covered” with our original teacher. As I intended on doing medicine, I knew the sciences were essential... hence, this was a huge disappointment for me.

The school itself has let its students down in several ways. The authorities of the school are not student-orientated and are quite condescending to parents and students alike. Some teachers were also disappointing, some far more than others. Most teachers are average and quite acceptable, some are extremely gifted and provided me with a truly comprehensive learning experience, some however, were truly careless and not motivated towards the success of their students, whatsoever. This is what my parents saw as extremely unacceptable. You see, if I'm going for extremely high marks in my LC, a poor or unmotivated teacher could make the difference that keeps me from reaching my full academic potential.

My parents, outraged and upset by my school's performance, sought another option. It was then that they contacted a private school in my area, a finishing school, which guarateed us that they would give as much effort towards my success as I intended to give and that their main goal was my reaching of my full potential. At first, I thought that it might be the opportunity that would lead me to achieving my very best, as well as being academically nurtured. I went to the interview and was accepted into the school. Without delay, I accepted my place in the seemingly flawless institution.

Later, I started to feel great anxiety about leaving the things in my current school that made my last 3 years wonderful. I have a close circle of marvellous friends that I would be lost without and a boyfriend that I've loved since my first year... I knew it would be hell for me without them, academically stimulated or not. I knew I could get on without my favourite teachers whom I've grown to respect and idolize, however I wondered if my sanity would be called into question if I was left without my best friends in the world.

And so, I told my parents I wasn't going... That I would stay at my current school. I acknowledged that they were wonderful for giving me the opportunity, but told them how I'd be truly better off in my current school with my friends. They've tried everything in their power to convince me that going would be best for me, that I could maintain my relationships, but I held out. I told them to cancel my registration.

So I prepared myself for an amazing year in Transition Year with my friends, going on trips, having a laugh and engaging in all the things I haven't had time to do this year due to my JC studies. I was quite ecstatic, and my friends were delighted that I wasn't going...

Today I received my 5th Year booklist from the private college. My parents (clearly) haven't cancelled my registration and I'm wondering if I really have made the right decision... I have a feeling that TY will be academically fruitless and not stimulating and as a very academic person, I wonder if I will be frustrated. I'm not interested in sports, which are a very prominent aspect of TY and in general, I'm accustomed to structure and working towards something (an exam, for example).

Should I take a leap out of my familiar waters, trust my parents and go to the private college? Or should I stay where I am, being with the people I love every day and finish school at a slower pace, in three years time, but with them....?? Honestly, I don't know what I want anymore... I hope I've outlined the pros and cons as I see them well enough for you to see how truly torn I am.
    Any advice from anybody with any opinions on the subject or anyone who has had any experience like this would be most appreciated, because at this point I'm in some need of impartial perspective...
    Thanks for reading! :)

Z-bunny ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

Put it this way. If you are determined to do well then you will do well no matter what school you go to. It could be easier in Private School to get the marks but you will be under more pressure because you won't be with your frinds and boyfriend. You may make more friends in the private school too though.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Z-bunny wrote:
    Should I take a leap out of my familiar waters, trust my parents and go to the private college?

Without a shadow of doubt you should take the leap.
    Through our whole lives we take leaps all the time.
    You have been given a wonderful oppertunity by your parents, grab it and do what will bring you to the college you want and your future.
    If your friends are truly that, then it won't matter where you are, you will still see them.
    I know you probably don't want to hear this, but friends come and go all the time. In twenty years you probably won't even see most of them anymore, but you will have new ones, and a medical cert ;)
    best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

If your determined enough to succeed then it won't matter where you go. Your current school will lead to a happier education where if you go to private college you might regret it. Its a piity you dont get JC reults til september coz they'd would give a good indication. I dont know what you should do nut don't let your parents influence your decision. You should decide yourself where to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 smilydude

Its very obvious from reading your post that you are academically gifted and very articulate. In my personal opinion it is important to be happy socially as well as academically. While your parents have offered you an excellent opportunity, you have to ask yourself what will make you happier?

In my own experience I was somewhat similiar, getting A grades throughout my school experience, then when Junior Cert was over, I said to myself its time to relax a bit and I tried Transition year. It nurtured me in other areas, socially aswell as academically. What people sometimes don't realise is that its equally as important to be socially competent as it is to be academically competent.

I did what made me happiest despite what other thought was good for me. We had the same situation with teachers, there will always be invariably a mix as you say, I perservered and worked my hardest and overcame these 'troublesome' teachers and went on to do extremely well in the Leaving Certificate. Personally from reading your comment I believe with some work and dedication you will have no problem achieving your targets!!

Overall do what makes you happiest, if you think leaving your friends for this new private school will make you unhappy and affect your results, say this to your parents. Being unhappy socially will distract you from your studies. You need the right mix.

Best of luck with what you decide to do and with your studies :)!

By the way. It's kinda weird the way your just finished the Junior and taking the whole school thing so serious. lol!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Well it depends.

You do have an oppurtunity with this private school. Btw is it a boarding school?
    Anyway i would think that if your friends and your boyfriend who you have now would still be your friend even if you do go to a private school. If they are your true friends then you should still be in contact with them and see them often. Just because you dont see them during school hours doesn't mean that you wont be friends with them anymore

Now on the other hand you could stay in the school with all your friends and just get grinds in the subjects that you are having trouble in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

hhmm

firstly, i think all that "if they truly are you feinds" blah is a bit... meh..
    people drift apart when they separate, whether they intend to or not..

but you would make new friends too of course, and probably stay in touch with SOME if not all of your "old" friends.

bad teachers... meh..

it depends again on which subjects you choose.. i can only speka from experience, but history/geogrpahy/physics are grand with only the books.. you can teach yourself. i would've hated if i had a bad english teacher for example, because i wouldnt know if i was doing it right or wrong.. but i had a brilliant one, who was really really good, and it made all teh difference.

but with a lot of subjects, if you put the effort in, ta-daaa, you'll be flyin.

Overall, i'd say stay where youre happy now.

Transition year? aah its a relaxing year.
    Academically mind numbing, but i really changed as a person (sounds HORRIBLY cliche'd..!), and made a few new good friends, making my final 2 years a good bit more enjoyable, considerign i really hated it up to 4th yr.

but thats just my experience..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

How badly do you want to do medicine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

NADA wrote:
    taking the whole school thing so serious

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

if you're a model student like you claim to be, you won't do TY and will grab that private college with both hands.

you want 600 points? you go to the best school possible.

you want a normal, -D-I-Y- 600 points, stick with your present school.

don't be attracted by flash marble hallways and cushioned chairs. you'll regret it once you're surrounded by strangers in a library talking about how many holidays they have a year, how many cars they have etc...

• Advertisement

(do some people really get cushioned chairs??! oooh )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Look at it this way. What do you want to do, and what do all your group of friends want to do.

If you want to study medecine and they're planning to take up a trade after their Leaving Cert, then you'll end up seperating from them anyway, after (potentially) damaging yourself academically.

But if they're also aiming to do high range courses, you might be better sticking in your current school. The teachers is only a small part of it, if you;re in an environment of friends who are working as hard as you and supporting you, it's a lot easier to succeed.

My €0.02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

You want to get a job in the future, right? Well you MUST do TY, if anything for your own personal development. At the minute you are concentrating to hard on the academic side of things and you are missing the bigger picture. TY gives you a whole new perspective, and gives you skills that you can not teach in a classroom. Answer me a few questions - Have you ever stood up in front of room of 50 - 100 people and given a speech or put across your point of view on a topic? Have you ever worked in a team? Have you ever started up a business and created a product for sale? These are the sort of soft skills TY aims to give students like yourself. As the end of the day, you maybe academically brilliant but if you don’t have the soft skills to complement your academic side you won’t get far. It’s up to you what you want to make of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

stepbar wrote:
    You want to get a job in the future, right? Well you MUST do TY, if anything for your own personal development. At the minute you are concentrating to hard on the academic side of things and you are missing the bigger picture. TY gives you a whole new perspective, and gives you skills that you can not teach in a classroom. Answer me a few questions - Have you ever stood up in front of room of 50 - 100 people and given a speech or put across your point of view on a topic? Have you ever worked in a team? Have you ever started up a business and created a product for sale? These are the sort of soft skills TY aims to give students like yourself. As the end of the day, you maybe academically brilliant but if you don’t have the soft skills to complement your academic side you won’t get far. It’s up to you what you want to make of it.

Not all schools have a TY like that

In ours it is a complete dos of a year. Pointless

Garret wrote:

seconded

*gets memories of setting up mini company*
    ahahahahaaaaaa.
    oh god TY.
    i hated it up to Christmas, but then lightened up a bit..

what i did in TY:
    -completed my ECDL
    -set up mini company
    -got the balls to perform in front of a crowd
    -found a new friend

that was about it.
    im glad i did it, but i dont think you miss out on THAT much if you dont.

Rockerette wrote:
    -completed my ECDL
    -set up mini company

my TY. :rolleyes: :mad:

i dreaded going into school in TY. worst year of my education by far. complete waste of time. people will say all this rubbish about improving skills and getting a taste of the real world etc...

all rubbish. we live in the 21st century, we aren't locked up in rooms all our lives. nowadays, communication is at it's finest and people interact more than ever.

TY is out of date. it's a 'doss' year and de-rails your focus on school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Z-bunny

Thank you everybody for your replies so far, I've been given a lot to think about... :) In fact, I think I'm getting a headache ;)

If you are determined to do well then you will do well no matter what school you go to.
    - NADA

I'd like to believe that's completely true! But I do think that the quality of teaching really contributes to one's ability in any subject... Determination is a great fuel, that's for sure, but I believe some schools would make the process of succeeding far more accessible than others... :-/
    Through our whole lives we take leaps all the time.
    - Beruthiel

Indeed.. :) In fact the song "Breakaway" by Kelly Clarkson was secretly quite inspirational for me (in the time that I had decided to go, that is!)... :rolleyes: Of course, the decision of whether it's a good leap or a bad leap is the biggest question and I'd hate to leave a place where I'm happy, just to seize an opportunity that may not be all I hoped it to be! "Leaps", I guess, could be positive or negative... Perhaps caution before the leap minimizes the true nature of 'leaping'! :-/ Whatever the case, I'd like to know where it is I'm going to land before I take a leap, you know what I mean?
    Your current school will lead to a happier education where if you go to private college you might regret it.
    - Whassupp2

Yup, I may regret it! That's a very clear possibility... but then again, if I don't do it and stay comfortably where I am, will I not wonder "what if?"…. Who’s to say it wouldn't lead me to happiness? [I'm sceptical about that, but it's a possibility, isn't it??]
    Its very obvious from reading your post that you are academically gifted and very articulate.
    - smilydude

Why, thank you smilydude! How flattering... ;)

What people sometimes don't realise is that its equally as important to be socially competent as it is to be academically competent.
    -smilydude

And I certainly agree with that! Social skills are immensely important, however, if I were to move what toll would that really take on my social competence? Would the more academically-based school really deprive me of the said competence? As for TY's contribution to social skills, that I can't judge. I know a lot of skills are nurtured in TY in my school (team work, study skills ...) but really I think we're quite under informed as to what TY really incurs and what it would do for us! Honestly, if I thought my school could provide academic-excellence as well as an enriching social experience, that would be wonderful and there'd be no issue. The problem arises, however when the academic side is let down.
    By the way. It's kinda weird the way your just finished the Junior and taking the whole school thing so serious. lol!
    -NADA

Yup, I see what you're saying. But the way our system works is that I need to make decisions now that will ultimately affect what I will end up doing with my life... for medicine, for example, I need to decide before the end of 3rd Year that I'm doing two science subjects in my Leaving as well as being prepared to reach top points. In fact, I think it's terrible that to have the undergraduate option of medicine open to me in the future, I need to know NOW that I want to do it, at 15 years old. So really... I think my "taking the whole school thing so serious", is just a bit necessary.

Btw is it a boarding school?
    - Limerick Dude

Nope it isn't, Limerick Dude (I'm a Limerick dudette btw ;)) It's a purely academic "finishing school". Though the hours are different to regular schools. Each school day ends at 5pm and there is a half day on Saturday (for 5th years) and a full day on Saturday for 6th years... :o

Now on the other hand you could stay in the school with all your friends and just get grinds in the subjects that you are having trouble in.
    -Limerick Dude

That's a very practical suggestion...! :-) Though I tried that with JC when my teacher hadn't finished the Maths course, it was helpful, but not a substitute for having done it in the first place :-/
    people drift apart when they separate, whether they intend to or not..
    - Rockerette

That's very true, and what I'm afraid of. Also, my best friend has been so since playschool, we've been together, joined at the hip, since the age of 3. We share everything and he's really my world and always has been.. leaving him would be most painful. Would changing schools be very damaging to our very long and very strong relationship, do you think...??

Academically mind numbing, but i really changed as a person (sounds HORRIBLY cliche'd..!), and made a few new good friends, making my final 2 years a good bit more enjoyable, considerign i really hated it up to 4th yr.
    - Rockerette

I'm really not liking the sound of 'mind-numbing' but the other stuff sounds nice... :) I know I'd benefit from some personal growth at this point in my life... I'd just be worried that I'd lose out in other ways while I was strolling along "getting to know myself" for a year! :)

How badly do you want to do medicine?
    - Dagnir Glaurung

Badly enough to be considering changing my life to be assured it'll be possible for me... I've bounced the idea around my head for years, knowing I wanted it so badly, but dismissed it because I was sure it would be impossible.. now I'm at this point, where I'm accepting I could do it, that I can, but my decision lies on whether I'm capable of getting 580-600 points essentially on my own, or whether I need or want the constant back-up of a school dedicated to my success.
    if you're a model student like you claim to be
    -smemon

I would never say that. That would be a pompous and big-headed proclamation, don't you think?
    don't be attracted by flash marble hallways and cushioned chairs. you'll regret it once you're surrounded by strangers in a library talking about how many holidays they have a year, how many cars they have etc...
    - smemon

Again, you have me all wrong. There are no marble hallways in the school which I'm discussing, and by no means is the building 'flash'. I have never seen any school to provide cushioned chairs to all the students and as for your insinuation that all the students would be wealthy... perhaps some would (as with any school), but this college is where people who are driven to succeed academically go, not those who have holidays and cars on the mind.... in fact, if you've anything else but academics in mind while you attend, you're dismissed- simply put. And, also... there is no library. I see the point you're making, but it really isn't relevant to this situation.
    And isn't EVERY 600 points "do it yourself"? Who, but yourself, sits the exam?
    if you;re in an environment of friends who are working as hard as you and supporting you, it's a lot easier to succeed.
    - Raphael

I really believe that :) ... however, my friends work hard, yes, but of course there are others that are less enthused and simply don't want to try, and hence leads to problems within the classroom and hindrances in the teaching of the course.
    you MUST do TY, if anything for your own personal development. At the minute you are concentrating to hard on the academic side of things and you are missing the bigger picture.
    - Stepbar

But in Ireland, when applying for university through the CAO only the points attained in the LC are considered, aren't they? Correct me if I'm wrong :)
    Assuming University was the "bigger picture" you spoke of... I would assume that University itself would be the best preparation for the 'outside world' and your chosen career?

Answer me a few questions - Have you ever stood up in front of room of 50 - 100 people and given a speech or put across your point of view on a topic? Have you ever worked in a team? Have you ever started up a business and created a product for sale?
    -Stepbar

I see how the said feats could be beneficial... You're clearly a true advocate for TY :) But is TY like a "practice run" of 'real life'? And is it directed only at those that feel they need preparation?

you maybe academically brilliant but if you don’t have the soft skills to complement your academic side you won’t get far.
    -Stepbar

In the context of going from university into a career and writing your CV, this is very relevant, I think... but again I say that the CAO form isn't interested in that from us. I think it's a pity, absolutely, but academics are, in Ireland's case, the sole focus of secondary education as far as getting into university is concerned.

-Garret

That's a fear of mine... having not been informed adequately (I think), I'm at a loss as to whether TY will really be worth spending a year on. What if the pace is so laid back that the TY 'course' or whatever could be covered in a matter of weeks at a normal pace? That would lead me to severe frustration and mild insanity.

i dreaded going into school in TY. worst year of my education by far. complete waste of time. people will say all this rubbish about improving skills and getting a taste of the real world etc...
    - smemon

See, now THAT's what I need to avoid at all costs... PROPAGANDA. My school is bloody full of it and I'm wondering if this will be the same. I've been told wonderful things from the TY teacher guy in school, but he would say that since.... he's the TY teacher guy!! Sigh... frustration... :mad:

ANYWHO! Thanks everyone for all your insightful responses thus far! Sorry for the ridiculously long post!! :eek: :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Z-bunny wrote:
    I really believe that ... however, my friends work hard, yes, but of course there are others that are less enthused and simply don't want to try, and hence leads to problems within the classroom and hindrances in the teaching of the course.
    I know, my entire year was full of those types, bar 2 guys (Out of 16). I probably would have left the school but for the friends I had in other years who cared about education and who I could hang around with and not feel like that guy who actually cares about learning, what a freak. What a bad sentence =/

Good luck with your decision anyway, I'm sure you'll get it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭homeOwner

If there is a chance that staying where you are will effect your chances of getting into medicine then you have no choice but to move.

On the other hand I think the sort of brains that medicine tends to attract will do well whereever they are. If you have a bad prof in college (and they do exist) what are you going to do? In the end its up to you to learn the material,

Have you thought about doing grinds to help you in the subjects with weaker teachers - it will be alot cheaper than private school and you'll be able to stay where you are.

• Advertisement

Z-bunny wrote:
    See, now THAT's what I need to avoid at all costs... PROPAGANDA. My school is bloody full of it and I'm wondering if this will be the same. I've been told wonderful things from the TY teacher guy in school, but he would say that since.... he's the TY teacher guy!! Sigh... frustration... :mad:

yes of course in theory you have loads of time and get out working, meeting people, taking on projects etc... in reality it's a load of rubbish. teachers don't have the time/ give the time to taking 4th years anywhere and they're reluctant to miss classes on the back of 4th years.

it's seen as a doss year by teachers too and everything is too relaxed. classes are messed up because you've people doing different things and away on trips etc... and the teacher wont teach with half a class as it's not worth it in their eyes.

dont do it. take a year off after 6th year and you'll appreciate it much more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Well are you going to a city centre school now ? (laurel hill maybe)

and is the private school you are going to a city centre school also (tutorial maybe)

because if they are both in the city centre then you can just meet up with your friends in town after school, like most people do anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Shrimp, why don't you shut the hell up.

Anyway, For the points you are going for, I'd go private to be honest. While it is possible to get it in a public school you will be distracted by people who haven't got the same goals as you, while students in a private school would be on a similar level so to speak.

oh god school on a saturday?!
    don't do it to yourself pet...

and I'd see hte "bigger picture" as a lot more than University.. Theres much more to life :)

Overall, i'd stay in your school..

TY really depends on your school, ask 5th years or 6th years about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

I reckon do TY, then feck off to private school. For me, anyway, 5th year was awful. Day after day grind with no end in sight. At least in 6th year, I had college to look forward to. :D:D

I regretted not doing TY. But if you want really high points, it's the little details that make the difference, and in this respect, an academically focused school, even a grind school, makes all the difference. That's my opinion. But it's still possible for you to do absolutely anything yet.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭fearcruach

I would say stay at your current school. The points you get depend on yourself not anyone else. Example: I stopped listening to the History and Biology teachers around Christmas. I'm confident I'll get 550 +. It's definately the work you put in, not the teaching, that will define your grades.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

fearcruach wrote:
    I would say stay at your current school. The points you get depend on yourself not anyone else. Example: I stopped listening to the History and Biology teachers around Christmas. I'm confident I'll get 550 +. It's definately the work you put in, not the teaching, that will define your grades.

For 600, though, you need good, well-resourced, teachers. Work is the most important thing, but it's not the only factor in getting really high points.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

i just wish i was that f*cking smart when i was 15!!! Jesus, you are a shoe-in for medicine!

I think it has all already been said, but you know what?! I'm gonna go ahead and say it again anyways!

For me, TY was the biggest waste of time of my life! it was slow, to the point of mentally-retarding, the teachers all tried quite hard, but the student body just wasn't motivated to work, I know I wasn't after the JC!
    BUT, I went on a trip to China, tried out some new subjects and did some community service, which was nice, and quite beneficial. As has been said, TY is what i make of it, as long as its run well, which i guess is another days work...

I had a friend, HAD, i stress, who was in the very same predicament as you, although nowhere near as intelligent! anyways, he compromised, and skipped TY, went into 5th year but stayed in the same school( which wasnt really an option for most of the school, but they made an exception). He got on with his life, a year ahead of all his friends.. Not trying to scare you, but now he has none at all, my year didnt like him as it stood, but even his friends kinda turned on him... Not me tho, i'd never do such a thing!! ;)

He wanted to do medicine, and thought he needed the extra year to get the points, so he had planned to repeat 6th year after his first go at the leaving. I Don't really see his logic but whatever. He never got the points, and is now doing science in ucd, i think... but i wouldnt know..... We aren't friends anymore!

I think my friend made the wrong choice, he didnt get the points, but still claims he's happy. I amn't convinced...

So! don't do what he did! do it all or nothing at least make a definite choice..

For me, i would have liked 600 points, dont think its going to happen, but pharmacy is for me, so luckily i wasn't under THAT much pressure!! :p

I think i could have done better in a grind, or finishing school, and at times i really regretted not going. But retrospectively, i am very happy i didnt go! the friends u make in the last years of school are the best friends you will ever make, i have been told, but am yet to experience life after school and so amn't fully informed i guess. And now that its over, i'm really happy with the friends i have, i know i wouldnt be so happy if theyd f*cked off!

well i started this off, thinking that you'd be better off leaving your school. But now i'm not so sure.... Sorry i don't think ive made that any clearer! even for myself.... It really is a choice that you're going to question in either case.. and it all really does come down to, "friendships or opportunity". CRAP! :eek:

u seemed to have worked that out for yourself and everything! I think you'll be fine in either scenario!

To pick one side of the fence, id say stay. Sorta. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Brods

what was i thinking.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Z-bunny

... everything is too relaxed. classes are messed up because you've people doing different things and away on trips etc... and the teacher wont teach with half a class as it's not worth it in their eyes.
    - smemon

That is the academic concern that I have. Are the teachers really going to care if the class does homework or not? Are they going to care if the class moves quickly enough to cover a substantial amount? Really, I don't think so.

From what I pick up in my school, TY is a wonderful year for the sports people. My bf, for instance, plays basketball for the school team and many other teams outside school too. It's his passion and he's incredibly dedicated and talented. HE can't wait for Transition Year. The 4th years get to spend a full day a week in a university sports arena with excellent facilities - playing sports! There are other options during that day for the minority that don't want to go, too, and I'm sure it could be otherwise enriching.. But the point is, academically, it WILL be 'too relaxed', as you pointed out and will be focused on other interests... Isn't SCHOOL, by its very nature, supposed to be primarily an academically focused institution...??
    dont do it. take a year off after 6th year and you'll appreciate it much more
    -Smemon

I think that's possible... If, for example, I didn't do TY (and all my friends are) and I got my points in my first sitting of the LC I could spend a year doing whatever took my fancy- "broadening my horizons". Then by the time I'd done that, my friends would be ready to head off to university too... In an ideal world, I guess.. :)
    Well are you going to a city centre school now ? (laurel hill maybe)

and is the private school you are going to a city centre school also (tutorial maybe)

because if they are both in the city centre then you can just meet up with your friends in town after school, like most people do anyways.
    - Limerick Dude

Nope, I'm not in a city-centre school... In fact I'm as far away as you could get from the city!! :rolleyes: My current school is in the middle of the country, despite me being a suburban dweller myself ... (but I won't name names since I've been so specific about teachers etc.). And the private school I'm referring to is indeed the Tutorial in Limerick city.. hence, there would be a big difference in lifestyle for me. But, my friends and I would usually meet up in the city or nearby anyway... so I'm thinking it may even be more accessible for me to arrange for meeting them etc... :)
    For the points you are going for, I'd go private to be honest. While it is possible to get it in a public school you will be distracted by people who haven't got the same goals as you, while students in a private school would be on a similar level so to speak.
    - Giblet

Very true... Distracted by students, and distracted by teachers who don't have the same goals for their students that I have for myself... As in, from the point of view of my Maths teacher, he must have thought it was okay to not finish the course for JC ‘til the week before the exam and not revise it with us... That's not the most favourable anecdote for the school :-/
    What if he's my LC maths teacher? Should I take it for granted that he'll be more dedicated for LC? Isn't that a bit of a risk to be taking?
    and I'd see hte "bigger picture" as a lot more than University.. Theres much more to life
    -Rockerette

I agree with you. But the question is, is a Transition Year experience really going to benefit the 'bigger picture'? As in... will I really look back at the age of 30 and say "Gee, I'm so glad I did x and y in TY!" ? Giving up the opportunity of TY with ultimately lead me to more opportunities in other ways...

I reckon do TY, then feck off to private school
    - nedward

I did consider that, nedward :) In fact, I had settled on the idea of "TRYING" TY for the year and then revaluating the situation... but I'm wondering would it be worth spending a year to just "see if I like it"? :o

For 600, though, you need good, well-resourced, teachers.
    - nedward
    Absolutely true :-)

Jesus, you are a shoe-in for medicine!
    - Brods

That's very sweet of you, Brods :) It means a lot to me that you'd say that... especially after doubting myself for so long, it's very refreshing. ;)
    For me, TY was the biggest waste of time of my life! it was slow, to the point of mentally-retarding, the teachers all tried quite hard, but the student body just wasn't motivated to work, I know I wasn't after the JC!
    - Brods

Do you think that's a country-wide scenario? :-/ I do think that people wouldn't be very focused/determined, because some tend to think "ah, sure, it's just transition year, why bother?" worrying....

he compromised, and skipped TY, went into 5th year but stayed in the same school( which wasnt really an option for most of the school, but they made an exception). He got on with his life, a year ahead of all his friends.. Not trying to scare you, but now he has none at all, my year didnt like him as it stood, but even his friends kinda turned on him
    - Brods

Well personally, if I'm going to not be in the same year as my friends I'd just jump into the deep end and go to the private school. It's either my school+TY or the private school... I don't think simply skipping TY would be an advantage in my school. In fact, I'd definitely feel I'd NEED an extra year in my current school!

And as for his friends turning on him... well, that's a pity for him, really it is. But thus far I've broken news to my friends that I may have to move - they held my hand. I've told them I'm leaving for sure- they held my hand. I told them I had to rethink it- they held my hand. I told them I'm staying, again- they held my hand... and now I may have to tell them otherwise... every time they were the same loving, supportive people that they've always been and I know that they'd stand by me whatever I do.. I'm so very lucky to have them... and to have the freedom to know they're always here for me... :)
    He wanted to do medicine, and thought he needed the extra year to get the points, so he had planned to repeat 6th year after his first go at the leaving.
    - Brods

A classmate of mine suggested this to me ... :-/ I don't understand that logic either to be honest! Wouldn't you PLAN to get it right the first time around? That's what I want to do... I want to do my thinking now and be sure that when I get to my LC I've made the ultimately right decision… I would never plan for failure!
    the friends u make in the last years of school are the best friends you will ever make
    - Brods

I know that... I've seen it in the friends I have now. But I do think, also, that if they are the best friends I'll ever make (which I believe they are), then not seeing them everyday won't change our friendships... And who's to say there won't be friends in the private school too.....? Maybe... :)
    well i started this off, thinking that you'd be better off leaving your school. But now i'm not so sure....
    - Brods

I think you've caught what I have ... fickle-itis!!! ;) It's contagious you know! :rolleyes: hehe... :)

Thanks again, everyone... I'm so much less lost than I started out :)

Advertisement