Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spain - France

• 27-06-2006 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭

Really looking forward to this one this evening.

Spain are on fire in the WC this year and hard to see them being beaten by an understrength France, then again France have great pedigree, anyone think France have a chance? (personally would be 70:30 in favour of Spain at the moment).

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Spain ftw, France have the players, but there just god damn terrible, and boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

tough one to call,think it will go to ET and maybe penos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I fancy both matches today to be Draw/Win. Probably Spain and Brazil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Looking forward to this match. I fancy Spain to get through although ET may happen.

One of the lads was telling me Spain have never beaten France in a competitive match. Mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I'm really excited about this one and also slightly nervous as I desperately want Spain to do well. Spain are the better team and should win, but I have this horrible image of them laying seige to the French goal without scoring then Henry nicking it on the break. They've never beaten France competitively, in fact they never seem to beat anyone of note when it counts. I suppose a win tonight could be the turning point for them. Raul and Fabregas are set to start in place of Garcia and Senna, so I'm guessing Raul will be playing out of position and we won't see the best of him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

One of the lads was telling me Spain have never beaten France in a competitive match. Mad!

taken from the BBC website
    Head-to-heads

Spain and France have met 27 times before. Spain have won 11, France 10. Six games have been drawn. This will be their first World Cup encounter. These nations have faced each other three times at the European Championship, with France winning twice (1984 final and 2000 quarter-final) and drawing once (1996 group phase). In fact, Spain have never beaten France in a competitive match.

Their last meeting was a friendly on 28 March 2001, which Spain won 2-1.

The quarter final in Euro 2000 was a classic with Raul missing a penalty in injury time and France winning 2-1. I remember Mendieta had already scored from the spot but unfortunately for Spain he'd been substituted leaving Raul to step up. I'm not sure but I don't think Raul has taken a penalty since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

really looking foward to this. Id love to see Spain win the whole thing. Playing some lovely football at the minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Looking forward to this match. I fancy Spain to get through although ET may happen.

I'm a firm believer that past results mean a lot going into matches like these...I had Spain originally but didn't know this, so I would have to say France have a chance then.

I think it will go to ET...0-0 in the 90 mins. Maybe pens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

if ya can get 7/2 or more for the draw at halftime - Spain fulltime, would be the bet to make here. To win it, France in my opinion would have to score first. I think if Spain have a slight weekness its in defence, and should an on form Henry get space early on its 1-0 France...

gonna stick with Spain though, they deserve it more than France anyways. Undefeated in over 2 years, strongest squad mixed of experience, players at their peek and young raw talent...contenders for the trophy, and my favourites after watching Italy yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Casillas
    Ramos -- Puyol -- Pablo -- Pernia
    Alonso

Fabregas -- Xavi

Raul --Torres -- Villa ----

Barthez
    Sagnol -- Gallas -- Thuram -- Abidal
    Makelele -- Vieira

Ribery -- Zidane -- Malouda --
    Henry

Looking forward to this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

Once it betters last nights match I think we'll all be delighted :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

SofaKing wrote:

Barthez
    Sagnol -- Gallas -- Thuram -- Abidal
    Makelele -- Vieira

Ribery -- Zidane -- Malouda --
    Henry

Looking forward to this one.

As yet unconfirmed I believe but 90% probable. It's the formation that we saw on the training ground Monday evening before they closed it to the press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Mossin

Am really loking forward to this game. On paper it has the potential to be a classic, but the way France are performing at the minute one has to see Spain as the more likely winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm hoping for Spain, but am increasingly thinking this could be an extra time match, as a neutral thats fine by me!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Spain have to fix their offside trap or Henry is sending them home tonight. The Saudis and Ukrainians suffered 6 or 7 incorrect offside decisions between them against Spain, and most of the time the player was in on goal, or very near it.

Raul and Fabregas are the form players so in theory Spain could get even better. There should be a terrific battle for dominance in midfield.

And finally, will Zidane pass to Henry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Will Zidane play? He's a shadow of the player he was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Anam

I think France will win.This could potentially be Zidanes last game,so I expect him to raise his game much like Nedved did in his last game for the Czechs.He will also benifit from having missed that last game.

Of course he may not start,in which case i think Saha should partner Henry up front,but i would be suprised to see him on the bench tbh.This is Henrys chance to deliver for France when it matters,how he plays tonight will be critical to Frances success.

Spain are a good team but i'm not convinced that they will be able to break down the French defense,especially with Makelele protecting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

Spain ftw 2 - 0. France have been absolutely brutal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Spain will win, I think it should be comfortable in the end for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I hope Spain win but fear France will.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Come on France! Do it for Zidane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Damn, allofmp3.com are doing a promotion where balance refills receive 10% extra for guessing the correct outcome of a match and 50% for guessing the correct score. Was going to go 3-0 to Brazil earlier in the day but wasn't bothered in the end. I'm thinking maybe 2-1 to Spain this time, but I'm really not sure. Maybe I should wait until one of the quarter finals which will be slightly more predictable. I'm lookin at Italy 1-0 Ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Yeah, it's a hard one to call alright, I wouldn't bet against France being below par again...but then again there's always the slight chance they might finally turn it on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Dont like Spain for some reason, so I hope France put them ooot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,484 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Come on the Spanish (and their fine supporters ..) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Come on France! Do it for Zidane!

yeah! come on france! bend over and lose, help put zidane out of his misery and save my eyes from watching his ass do nothing for another 90 minutes. bien!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Is Zidane starting? If he is then Spain will win, if he isnt then France will win.

Spain
    01 I Casillas
    22 I Pablo
    05 C Puyol
    15 G Sergio Ramos
    03 M Pernia
    18 F Fabregas
    08 H Xavi
    14 X Alonso
    21 D Villa
    09 F Torres
    07 G Raul

Subs: Salgado, Marchena, Albelda, Reyes, Luis Garcia, Antonio Lopez, Iniesta, Senna, Joaquin, Canizares, Juanito, Reina.

France
    16 F Barthez
    19 W Sagnol
    15 L Thuram
    05 W Gallas
    03 E Abidal
    22 F Ribery
    10 Z Zidane
    06 C Makelele
    04 P Vieira
    07 F Malouda
    12 T Henry

Subs: Landreau, Boumsong, Dhorasoo, Govou, Wiltord, Silvestre, Saha, Givet, Diarra, Trezeguet, Chimbonda, Coupet.

What the hell happened to 1 to 11?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Kingp35 wrote:
    Is Zidane starting? If he is then Spain will win, if he isnt then France will win.

lol, yes Zidane is starting. shows weakness from the french coach. I think (and hope) Spain will win this but its going to be a close one.

that raymond domenech guy gives me the creeps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

spanish fans already disgracing themselves booing the french anthem:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jArgHA

spain asleep, france way on top. oh dear, a penalty to spain out of nothing. that penalty was a beaut

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

spain 1-0 Penalty from Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Ramos was disgraceful, won a penalty and then asks for a card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Definite penalty and yet the ITV commentator is saying 'soft'! Well taken from Villa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭randomname

Come On Spain!!! 2 - 0 :d

• Advertisement

1-1 Ribery

randomname wrote:
    Come On Spain!!! 2 - 0 :d

What game are u watching?

France have definately been more dangerous and deserve at least that scoreline, unfortunately.

Spain having lots of the ball but looking toothless, Raul has been quiet as has Villa, Fabregas is misplacing some passes too. They could do with Joaquin and Reyes supporting Torres methinks.

Enjoyble game so far, but did anyone notice the stony silence from Daragh Moloney and Trevor Stevens when Torres went down clutching his face having been lightly tackled by Makelele or was it Viera? It seems when you are a hot young thing commentators put all critical thoughts on hold.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

It seems when you are a hot young thing commentators put all critical thoughts on hold.

Tell that to Ronaldo.

Every time I watch Makelele the more I'm amazed by him, his primary skill appears to be fouling without getting booked, it's incredible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

France on top despite the Spanish having more possesion. If Spain continue to play this offside trap they are going to concede again.

Torres should have been booked for diving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Game is the best we've seen so far in terms of flowing football

Should persistant offside be booked? It's really quite annoying

Torres just goes down like a total wimp

Spain having a nice spell now, Fabregas is becoming more and more influential. The French are getting some baffling refereeing decisions going their way.

3rd substitution made by Aragones, high risk strategy!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Disgraceful from Henry. Hate that crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PHB wrote:
    Should persistant offside be booked? It's really quite annoying

Are you sepp blatter? I assume your messing?

Should any type of persistant mistake making be punished? 5 mis-placed passes and its a yellow maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Crappy french...

2-1 to France OG Viera looks to be claiming it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

WTF is Henry doing holding his face . Another example of cheating in this comp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

I agree with the free kick but Henry? What a tosser.

Balls.

• Advertisement
Advertisement