Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage & Tax relief

Options
  • 27-06-2006 2:15pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible to claim both?

I have just bought a house, however its down the country and I'll be in the house 2-3 nights a week. However I'm also renting in Dublin.

At the moment I have tax relief on my income for rent. Can I continue to claim this and claim mortgage tax relief???

Tox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Mortgage interest relief is only available on your PPR - Principal Private Residence. If you're only living in it 2/3 nights out of seven, I can't see how it would qualify as your primary residence, especially if you're also claiming rent allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It is not true that MIR is only available on your PPR.

On the face of it, I cannot see how living in Dublin weeknights in rented accommodation would prejudice your country seat being treated as your PPR. Loads of people do this in practice and I cannot see it being an issue.

I would think you would be pushing your luck to claim the two allowances. I think they would say that the allowance for rent is only available on the property that is your principal residence. But I don't know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Claiming both is not going to happen.

Claim the MIR instead. Save yourself in cashflow.

Advertisement