Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Complaints - Please post here

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭surveys

Earthman wrote:
    netscape...
    You mean firefox or mozilla?

No its not IE-dont be so ridiculous.
    I cant log onto their site today either.
    It takes an age loading the bt ireland dot com page and when you go to log in it just hangs...

So much for their IT
    No, I mean Netscape 7.2 !! AND its not so ridiculous either. Unless you work for MS :)

magick wrote:
    ive been with bt now for more than 6mths, i signed up in november and paid the 120 euro that they assured me would b refunded to my account after the 6 month contract , 6 months have passed and no payment into my bank acc has been made :mad:

Did you contact them and ask for your money ?
    If you did then what did they say. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

surveys wrote:
    No, I mean Netscape 7.2 !! AND its not so ridiculous either. Unless you work for MS :)

Doesn't work with Opera, IE, or Firefox. Actually its working today, but it doesn't give you much faith in their servers or their Sys Admin if it falls over on a regular basis like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭conical

Already a BT phone customer, ordered broadband on 31 May (from utterly useless foreign salesperson #1) ... still waiting

Called sales dept after their "15-20 day" (:eek: ) timeframe to be told by utterly useless foreign salesperson #2, that their "target date" was now 3rd of July :confused:

got transferred to utterly useless irish "customer care" rep, who told me their was "an error" which was spotted on 6 June and resolved on 16 June (:eek:) and proceeded to blame eircom for something-or-other

...and if I wanted to cancel that any other company would have to wait 'til that date too for eircom to do whatever it is they have to do.

I asked him to make some attempt to speed the process up and to call me back with any information ... still waiting

I'm trying to buy their product, why does it have to be such an ordeal?
    The service I've experienced is an embarassment to the company.
    I can't see what answers I'm expecting from posting here but however
    ...roll on July 3rd

-C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

clubcrown wrote:
    Doesn't work with Opera, IE, or Firefox. Actually its working today, but it doesn't give you much faith in their servers or their Sys Admin if it falls over on a regular basis like that.
    The server didn't "fall over" - a number people have reported that they were able to connect (including me). The servers weren't able to respond to all the requests they received in a timely manner (because BT apparently don't stagger their bills).

You can't really blame their SysAdmins for that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

this is a recent problem IMO. It must be that people check their BT bills as a matter of course nowadays. Must ring ma :D

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭cassette50

Yes, received broadband from this shower last year, never managed to get a service as the line was faulty despite being told by BT it was fine . BT in there wisdom still charged me an installation fee plus 3 months payment in advance for a service I never received.

I was told it was not possible to be refunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭clubcrown

Foxwood wrote:
    The server didn't "fall over" - a number people have reported that they were able to connect (including me). The servers weren't able to respond to all the requests they received in a timely manner (because BT apparently don't stagger their bills).

You can't really blame their SysAdmins for that.

Yeah I can; we regularly release new content to large groups of people for a couple of days at a time. Our servers can cope because we plan for it; maybe for BT that means staggering the bills, or maybe it means they should plan more carefully when their max audience is likely to be hitting their website.

Either way this is a large multinational corporation whose website slows down under increased traffic on a regular, predictable basis. Thats not acceptable - I'd be fired if I allowed that happen in my workplace.

My conclusion is that BT probably don't have a clue that its happening. Thats why I raised it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

What is frustrating about BT is that their services are good value for money and in about 18 months I never had a single outage. (Quite an improvement on the IOL business they bought out, where at one stage about 10 years ago you simply couldn't dial in at all, because the contention rates were so high).

On the other hand, there was the billing. Originally I had a dialup account - one of these no-bills situations which took me about 2 to 3 months to sort out. I upgraded to BB a few months later and the problems largely vanished, aside from a DD being presented twice on one occasion, which my bank sorted out for me.

Then I came to cancellation. Apparently they cancelled my account but didn't close the billing account, so I got charged again. I've been told they will send me a cheque in 3 weeks time so it remains to be seen. I've cancelled my DD with the bank anyway just in case. I have yet to come accross a billing dept as chaotic as BT. As a result I've decided not to go with them again, even though I liked the service a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭demosuzki

shoegirl wrote:
    I have yet to come accross a billing dept as chaotic as BT. As a result I've decided not to go with them again, even though I liked the service a lot.

i agree.

i had a horrible expirence (documented elsewhere on boards)

they claimed i didn't close my account and kept billing me.
    along the way they said the account managment site didn't work so they couldnöt be sure if i closed my account so they settled for an amount they made up. took them over ayear to send me that money. despite many calls & email.
    i believe they still owe me money.

i had months of no replies to email, endless voicemail and no returned calls.
    i actually believe it is on purpose following the lowest standards of cutomer care... "don't deal with them and they give up"

i wouldn't advise anyone to use the service based on customer care.

because of input on boards.ie there was a recent 'get in touch' to fix it.
    but they seemed to ignore my email.
    even with i a promise to "reply in 24 hours" form letter.

i think 'surveys' has been let up the garden path by these people who havn't changed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

I've an opposite condition, my last bill was in March. I rang today to see why I haven't been billed and I was told mine was 'rare' case and it has been logged to the global helpdesk for resolution. As explained I'll probably not now be billed until August when I'll get 5 months billed together!

Shameful really.
    Cheerio
    Howard

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

clubcrown wrote:

My conclusion is that BT probably don't have a clue ..........

Precisely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 GregusManus

As far as billing period is concern I seem to be different to everybody else. I get billed from 8th April - 8thJune, 8th June - 8th August, and so on and so forth.

I noticed i could not access the BT website yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

very long story, but signed up for their 6mth contract half way through a years lease in a house,
    1)got over charged every time
    2)never got the free upgrade that everyone else got
    3) didnt get the right package, still got billed from eircom
    4) rang them 3 times explained the story and got it fixed every time
    5) finally got rid of eircom billing, but still only a 1mb line
    6) moved out 6 months later and the new people in the house are using the phone and i am getting billed for it, about 30 phone calles and 50 emails later, and it says that my account is still active on their site

i look forwad the the new bill next week!

don't ever deal with BT

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭conical

conical wrote:
    Already a BT phone customer, ordered broadband on 31 May (from utterly useless foreign salesperson #1) ... still waiting

Called sales dept after their "15-20 day" (:eek: ) timeframe to be told by utterly useless foreign salesperson #2, that their "target date" was now 3rd of July :confused:

got transferred to utterly useless irish "customer care" rep, who told me their was "an error" which was spotted on 6 June and resolved on 16 June (:eek:) and proceeded to blame eircom for something-or-other

...and if I wanted to cancel that any other company would have to wait 'til that date too for eircom to do whatever it is they have to do.

I asked him to make some attempt to speed the process up and to call me back with any information ... still waiting

I'm trying to buy their product, why does it have to be such an ordeal?
    The service I've experienced is an embarassment to the company.
    I can't see what answers I'm expecting from posting here but however
    ...roll on July 3rd

-C

PM'd surveys my account number, 3 hours later BT are on the phone to say the line has been enabled and to expect the router by courier on monday/tuesday :D

That's only a day or two ahead of time, but the difference on this occasion is that
    1)the rep actually keeps the customer informed
    and
    2) sounds like he has some sort of knowledge/sense/understanding of what is going on.

It is a bit rediculous that a company of this scale should be relying on a member of the public to sort out customer complaints ... but it works.

Surveys, Thank you. If they're not already paying you, they definitely should be (though from what I read it may be a while before you get the cheque:p )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭demosuzki

out of my recent contact with surveys

i got contacted by BT and told that they are sticking with thier notion of events.

i believe that thier managment of customer care via a system of 'ignore them and they go away' is policy and viewed as a profit centre.

karma will get them in the end.

-ds

conical wrote:
    PM'd surveys my account number, 3 hours later BT are on the phone to say the line has been enabled and to expect the router by courier on monday/tuesday :D

That's only a day or two ahead of time, but the difference on this occasion is that
    1)the rep actually keeps the customer informed
    and
    2) sounds like he has some sort of knowledge/sense/understanding of what is going on.

It is a bit rediculous that a company of this scale should be relying on a member of the public to sort out customer complaints ... but it works.

Surveys, Thank you. If they're not already paying you, they definitely should be (though from what I read it may be a while before you get the cheque:p )

Thank 'you'. :-)

I'm delighted. !

I would just like to add a suggestion for all those who post on this thread because of a complaint with BT. After posting could they please send me a PM with their BT account number. This will speed things even more and will reduce my own work load by getting rid of the need for me to contact them and ask for their account number..
    If someone posts, but does not send any PM I will presume they do not want to take it up with BT....
    For those who have 'already' posted a complaint on here and want to take it up with BT, please send me a PM.
    Thanks..:)

Surverys with the best will in the world this system is nonsense.

Why cant BT provide a proper number for people to ring who have problems?

As a previous poster pointed out it is ludicrous that they are depending on you and in fairness to yourself totally unrealistic to expect you to be acting on their behalf.

If they are as serious as they claim it is time that they got their act together and set up a properly staffed system with a deadline to get outstanding issues sorted out once and for all!!!.

If you recall they previously claimed that they could not deal with problems posted on boards!!!!:rolleyes:

dub45 wrote:
    Surverys with the best will in the world this system is nonsense.

Why cant BT provide a proper number for people to ring who have problems?

As a previous poster pointed out it is ludicrous that they are depending on you and in fairness to yourself totally unrealistic to expect you to be acting on their behalf.

If they are as serious as they claim it is time that they got their act together and set up a properly staffed system with a deadline to get outstanding issues sorted out once and for all!!!.

If you recall they previously claimed that they could not deal with problems posted on boards!!!!:rolleyes:
    Yes, amazing isn't it. However, whats the harm ? Does it 'bug' you ? Suppose those members of Boards who have a BT problem get it resolved fast, is there a problem with that ? Will it not be a good thing ? Has any harm been done ?

As for the tel number, there 'is' a dedicated freefone number which every time I tested it out worked perfectly. ! However, there have been possibly hundreds of groans and moans on Boards about BT, "but" when a dedicated Thread is set up to help with their problems only four (yes, four) have so far responded and acted. ! We are a Nation of Grumblers, you should know that, but when it comes to taking action about our Grumbles that seems to be a 'step too far'. ! Eddie Hobbs highlighted all that is going on (and wrong) in this Country but will the public do anything. ? Never ! Being 'Couch Potatoes' seems to be much more attractive. :)

• Advertisement

surveys wrote:
    Yes, amazing isn't it. However, whats the harm ? Does it 'bug' you ? Suppose those members of Boards who have a BT problem get it resolved fast, is there a problem with that ? Will it not be a good thing ? Has any harm been done ?

As for the tel number, there 'is' a dedicated freefone number which every time I tested it out worked perfectly. ! However, there have been possibly hundreds of groans and moans on Boards about BT, "but" when a dedicated Thread is set up to help with their problems only four (yes, four) have so far responded and acted. ! We are a Nation of Grumblers, you should know that, but when it comes to taking action about our Grumbles that seems to be a 'step too far'. ! Eddie Hobbs highlighted all that is going on (and wrong) in this Country but will the public do anything. ? Never ! Being 'Couch Potatoes' seems to be much more attractive. :)

Indeed it does bug me because of the total unprofessionalism of it and their 'use' of youself. It bugs me that people have been mistreated by Esat for so long and this is their response - it bugs me that a dossier compiled by yourself and sent to the Chief Executive in London mysteriously found its way to Dublin and that you afaik have never received a written acknowledgemnt of this - the misdirection of documents intended for a Chief Executive would in many organisations result in at least an investigation and in many cases disciplinary action.

How much publicity have Esat given to that number? Boards is a small audience remember.

It also bugs me that there is nothing substantive in anything you have reported back to the effect that Esat have done anything at all about their billing system.

dub45 wrote:
    Indeed it does bug me because of the total unprofessionalism of it and their 'use' of youself. It bugs me that people have been mistreated by Esat for so long and this is their response - it bugs me that a dossier compiled by yourself and sent to the Chief Executive in London mysteriously found its way to Dublin and that you afaik have never received a written acknowledgemnt of this - the misdirection of documents intended for a Chief Executive would in many organisations result in at least an investigation and in many cases disciplinary action.

How much publicity have Esat given to that number? Boards is a small audience remember.

It also bugs me that there is nothing substantive in anything you have reported back to the effect that Esat have done anything at all about their billing system.

You actually only responded to one part of my post and ignored the rest. ?
    If it 'bugs' you then why worry. ? Does it actually affect you, thats the important point surely ?
    To reiterate "if its helps just one member" whats wrong with that ? Where is the harm in all of this ? BT's image ? Why should we worry about that, thats their problem. !
    You seem to me to be against all this ? Why ? Are you actually against helping people. ? How do we know what changes they have made to their billing system ? Bills were issued this week but I don't see any complaints being posted ?
    Anyway, I am only here to help people. If thats wrong, then so be it.
    I am not going to reply again to any negative posts. Positive posts are helpful and to be encouraged, but negativity never got anybody anywhere.

surveys wrote:
    You actually only responded to one part of my post and ignored the rest. ?
    If it 'bugs' you then why worry. ? Does it actually affect you, thats the important point surely ?
    To reiterate "if its helps just one member" whats wrong with that ? Where is the harm in all of this ? BT's image ? Why should we worry about that, thats their problem. !
    You seem to me to be against all this ? Why ? Are you actually against helping people. ? How do we know what changes they have made to their billing system ? Bills were issued this week but I don't see any complaints being posted ?
    Anyway, I am only here to help people. If thats wrong, then so be it.
    I am not going to reply again to any negative posts. Positive posts are helpful and to be encouraged, but negativity never got anybody anywhere.

I think your obsession with postive posts and negative posts is competely unrealistic this is not Mary Poppins or Oprah Winfrey and thinking positive is not going to change EsatBT one whit. Thinking realistically whether it seems positive or negative to you is hopefully what I try to do. If Esat BT were serious about addressing issues via boards they would have nominated an employee to come on here and ask for people who have problems to contact them - its that simple. And I explained in my previous post why their behaviour bugs me.

When a company behaves consistently in the way Esat have behaved it affects all bb users - it lowers the standards of the entire bb market as competition rather than being intensified is lessened because there is one less company that can be recommended. And low business standards should apall us all!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

surveys wrote:
    We are a Nation of Grumblers, you should know that, but when it comes to taking action about our Grumbles that seems to be a 'step too far'. ! Eddie Hobbs highlighted all that is going on (and wrong) in this Country but will the public do anything. ? Never ! Being 'Couch Potatoes' seems to be much more attractive. :)

If you take the time to read the posts you will see that people have made their complaints in the prescribed fashion. People have done something and in many cases have reams of documentary evidence - far from being couch potatoes. In my own case I have twice received written assurances that my issues had been resolved and twice received phone calls from BT honchos telling me that all was well. The first two times they were lying. I await my next bill to see if they are still lying.

I would strongly recommend that if people have a problem with BT they log it via their complaints address. Without the resulting reference number you'll have no chance of chasing them.

If I was cynical I'd say that this is an attempt by BT to circumvent having to log complaints received and suddenly they'll look so much better.
    surveys wrote:
    How do we know what changes they have made to their billing system ? Bills were issued this week but I don't see any complaints being posted ?

My bill isn't due for another few weeks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

parsi wrote:
    I won't see anything on my credit card from BT until next week at the earliest, but my latest bill was available from their website last monday. Are you waiting for the charge to show up on your credit card or bank statement, or on BTs website?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Foxwood wrote:
    I won't see anything on my credit card from BT until next week at the earliest, but my latest bill was available from their website last monday. Are you waiting for the charge to show up on your credit card or bank statement, or on BTs website?

I'm waiting for my bill which is due on 24 July...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I signed up with BT in Jan 06 ,transferring my Line Rental Broadband and calls from Eircom.
    I told BT that I had a modem and didnt need one .
    3 weeks later I had heard nothing so I rang them up.
    They said that they had never received my forms and that I would have to resend them .
    I was away on business so I didnt get a chance to resend them.
    Around a week later I woke up to find that I couldnt connect to the internet anymore.
    Later that day I received a modem in the post.
    After 4 hours on the phone to BT and going in circles through the different departments I eventually discovered that I had been transferred over to BT ,how I have no idea.
    I reconfigured my modem and I was able to connect to the internet.
    On my first bill at the ned of March I was charged a connection fee because I didnt provide my own modem :rolleyes: and i was overcharged by 40 euro as I was billed seperately for line rental and broadband.
    I rang up and was told a mistake had been made and that I would be discounted in my next bill.
    End of May and my bill was 33 euro too high and no discount had been credited .
    I rang up and was told that I would be credited the amount on my next bill :rolleyes:
    There is still a discrepancy over the overlapping period between Eircom and BT of around 14 days where I seem to be double charged for Line rental.
    All in all BT owe me about 90 euro.
    If I am not credited it on my next bill i'll stop the direct debit as this type of service isnt acceptable.

parsi wrote:
    If you take the time to read the posts you will see that people have made their complaints in the prescribed fashion. People have done something and in many cases have reams of documentary evidence - far from being couch potatoes. In my own case I have twice received written assurances that my issues had been resolved and twice received phone calls from BT honchos telling me that all was well. The first two times they were lying. I await my next bill to see if they are still lying.

I would strongly recommend that if people have a problem with BT they log it via their complaints address. Without the resulting reference number you'll have no chance of chasing them.

If I was cynical I'd say that this is an attempt by BT to circumvent having to log complaints received and suddenly they'll look so much better.

The coach potatoes was a reference to those who have complained bitterly on Boards about BT, and have said they are owed money, or still owed something but when invited to complain and have their case looked at immediately, just disappear. ! It was 'not' a reference to those, like you, who have not complained on here before. This thread is not meant to circumvent the standard BT complaints proceedure. That proceedure can still be used, its open to all customers. This thread is only an addition to those proceedures, for those who ask for help and feel that it might speed things up if they use it, such as 'conical' who used it and seems to have had a good experience. ?
    He is not the only one. Letters have gone out to some, and phone calls made to others, by BT, as a direct result of contact made here.

surveys wrote:
    The coach potatoes was a reference to those who have complained bitterly on Boards about BT, and have said they are owed money, or still owed something but when invited to complain and have their case looked at immediately, just disappear. ! It was 'not' a reference to those, like you, who have not complained on here before. This thread is not meant to circumvent the standard BT complaints proceedure. That proceedure can still be used, its open to all customers. This thread is only an addition to those proceedures, for those who ask for help and feel that it might speed things up if they use it, such as 'conical' who used it and seems to have had a good experience. ?
    He is not the only one. Letters have gone out to some, and phone calls made to others, by BT, as a direct result of contact made here.

The proof of Esat's good intentions will be seen in their actions but it does not appear to bother you for some strange reason that they managed to stop your dossier getting to the top in London - and they now have someone who at one stage felt strongly enough to compile that dossier - and not trusting the Esat management enough here in Ireland - felt compelled to send it to London actually doing some of their work for them!!!!!! Isnt that some accomplishment on their part?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dub45 wrote:
    The proof of Esat's good intentions will be seen in their actions

Thats essentially it. I recommend that BT be given this one last chance to sort things and be seen to sort things.

Then maybe they can have a person picking stuff up in here before a cock up descends into the sort of farce and anger that we know about only too well .

Go with surveys suggestions for a while is my inclination . I care not how these issues are sorted as LONG as they are sorted Dub45 . Sorted they must be.

Advertisement