Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Complaints - Please post here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

I had a BT business account for a couple of years (paying quarterly) They never billed me for the first 12 months (despite me ringing them regularly to remind them) then they started and everything was fine until I moved and cancelled the account.

Still got the next bill so I rang them and they told me they had no record of my cancellation to fax them a copy of the letter straight away and they would refund the money. I did that and then 3 months alter got another bill and another direct debit. I went to my bank to cancel the DB so they could not take any more and rang them again. Still no record of my cancellation. Faxed another copy and sent a copy by registered mail.

Sent a bill again 3 months later so I went on the phone and demanded an explanation. Promised a full refund within 2 weeks with a full apology. Nearly 3 years later and no refund (but no more bills either). After numerous calls, letters and e-mails I just gave up.

It was easier to keep my sanity and just loose the money.

The product was excellent, service was brilliant with no issues prompt responses to faults etc. Billing department a nightmare. Will never do business with them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

m8 wrote: »
    Boy oh Boy that mail to Joe Duffy that I CC'd top BT Exec on worked a treat.

BT phoned this morning and are sending a refund by courier to me asap.

I will post back when I get it.

Ok have recovered my money (BT had a courier deliver it today) with a little extra for all the messing but still working on the Data Protection issue ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

m8 wrote: »
    Ok have recovered my money (BT had a courier deliver it today) with a little extra for all the messing but still working on the Data Protection issue ;)

Congratulations, you are probably the first person in Ireland to ever get a refund from BT. You have truly earned a place in Irish Broadband Folklore and History.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Blindpew wrote: »
    Congratulations, you are probably the first person in Ireland to ever get a refund from BT. You have truly earned a place in Irish Broadband Folklore and History.

Wouldn't it be really nice if someone on high in BT asked themselves why a customer had to go to such lengths to get a refund and actually went and did something about the mess:rolleyes: Now that would be one for Broadband Folklore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭zacseph

Howdy all - i've heard with bt you need to give 28 days notice before churning to another provider or they will continue to bill you... along with the new company - is this correct?? cos no other company do this as far as i know when you move you move... ??

• Advertisement

zacseph wrote: »
    Howdy all - i've heard with bt you need to give 28 days notice before churning to another provider or they will continue to bill you... along with the new company - is this correct?? cos no other company do this as far as i know when you move you move... ??

Far be it from me to defend BT but afaik most companies require a months notice of termination of a contract. Such notice would be necessary for all the bureaucratic stuff invovled in closing an account. And besides if you do not tell a company you are leaving how are they supposed to know?:rolleyes:

By the way the 'i.ve heard'' approach is nonsense and asking for trouble. It is up to you to establish the facts for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

These are the terms, it says 14 days notice required. Are you currently a BT customer and looking to move? If so, good luck, you'll need it. If you're thinking of changing to BT, then don't.

To cancel, write to them and send it registered. Cancel your direct debit with the bank, in writing. Keep records and copies of EVERYTHING you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm already dreading the move and the billing cock ups :(
    I'm still fighting with them to refund me for double billing me in January which they admitted...refunded and then took the refund out in the next bill as "arrears" ,then denied on the phone that there was any problem... you couldn't make this stuff up honestly, its just incredible.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

dub45 wrote: »
    Far be it from me to defend BT but afaik most companies require a months notice of termination of a contract. Such notice would be necessary for all the bureaucratic stuff invovled in closing an account. And besides if you do not tell a company you are leaving how are they supposed to know?:rolleyes:

By the way the 'i.ve heard'' approach is nonsense and asking for trouble. It is up to you to establish the facts for yourself.
    I've moved providers a couple of times and never had to tell the previous provider - and basically what happened was i moved myself from eircom to the new vodafone one, and a friend of mine from bt also moved to vodafone - mine's moved over fine and just got my new bill from vodafone whereas my friend got a vodafone bill and a bt bill for the same dates - and i checked with eircom and i'm defo all done with them, but bt gave my friend the 28 days notice dealy - oh, and we were both out of contract at the time too...

I've moved providers a couple of times and never had to tell the previous provider - and basically what happened was i moved myself from eircom to the new vodafone one, and a friend of mine from bt also moved to vodafone - mine's moved over fine and just got my new bill from vodafone whereas my friend got a vodafone bill and a bt bill for the same dates - and i checked with eircom and i'm defo all done with them, but bt gave my friend the 28 days notice dealy - oh, and we were both out of contract at the time too...

If you dont tell the provider how in God's name are they going to know that you have left? How can you expect them not to continue issuing bills without notifying them that you want to cease the service?:rolleyes:

Eircom obviously employ more mind readers than BT.:)

• Advertisement

Well, the way it was explained to me, when you request to move over to a different provider, it has to be approved by the current one - for example, if you have outstanding debts with your current one, it won't be allowed... so, that's how other providers know to stop billing - maybe thats not the case, but it seemed to make sense to me :)
    Has anyone else experienced any double billing from bt - or anyone before??

Well, the way it was explained to me, when you request to move over to a different provider, it has to be approved by the current one - for example, if you have outstanding debts with your current one, it won't be allowed... so, that's how other providers know to stop billing - maybe thats not the case, but it seemed to make sense to me :)
    Has anyone else experienced any double billing from bt - or anyone before??

How can it be double billing if you have not actually cancelled your service with them? Of course they are going to keep billing you until you tell them you dont want the service anymore!

Why is it so difficult to tell an isp that you want to cancel their service? Its not exactly like finishing an emotional relationship or anything.....especially with BT!

Oh honey... Maybe I'll try to explain it again some other time... for now, I give up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Has anyone else on BT had their connection go to this

300836397.png

Been like that all day im on the 3 meg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Kenmare

Davei141 wrote: »
    Has anyone else on BT had their connection go to this

300836397.png

Been like that all day im on the 3 meg.

according to BT ive downloaded 81gb of stuff this month :|

My speed is now 20kb/s downstream, 40kb/s upstream.

You wouldnt believe how long its taken for this page to load..........

As for me downloading 81gb its the biggest load of bull**** in the world. My bloody line cant download that much. Got a call from them yesterday. It was from some indian fella who could barely speak a sodding word of english. He basically told me I was lying and that I had downloaded it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm with BT 3MB, currently 4MB :-

301016040.png

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Kenmare wrote: »

My speed is now 20kb/s downstream, 40kb/s upstream.

You wouldnt believe how long its taken for this page to load..........

As for me downloading 81gb its the biggest load of bull**** in the world. My bloody line cant download that much. Got a call from them yesterday. It was from some indian fella who could barely speak a sodding word of english. He basically told me I was lying and that I had downloaded it :/

If they think that you have downloaded that much are they throttling you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I looked at my usage and it turns out they are throttling me for 93 gigs downloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

I looked at my usage and it turns out they are throttling me for 93 gigs downloaded.

Wow, that's a fair bit above the 30GB cap!!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

http://broadband.iol.ie/cgi-bin/sec/dslhistory

My usage hasn't been updated since march and in the two years previously it tells me that I downloaded 114GB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Kenmare wrote: »

:/
    make shure, u broadband's user name and pass are secure ( or better change it altogther)-- there is a chance that someone know it and use it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

alec76 wrote: »
    make shure, u broadband's user name and pass are secure ( or better change it altogther)-- there is a chance that someone know it and use it :(

Did you give an old modem to a friend or family member that they mightn't have changed the username on? maybe you can ring them and get the password reset just in case?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

OH MY F**KING GOOD GOD!!!

I just logged onto my BT account online. Brought up the latest bill (last month) and only then noticed the old address and phone number on it that we moved out of over a year ago. I had logged onto my old account accidentally using my OLD password and login. Feckers have been charging us 100 yoyos a month for a line and bb service that was terminated over a year ago!!!!

I rang them numerous times at the time of the move and they told me flat out that everything was stopped and the bb was definitely cut off as I tried it.

I am paying the new bill but my wife was paying the old bill. She assumed she was paying the new one sao never mentioned it to me before...FFS. That is over a grand they have taken on a service which was terminated yonks ago.

WELL F*&KING P**ED NOW!!!

Damn customer care line closed ten minutes ago also. They are going to get an earful from me in the morning. Once I get the refund I will switch to eircom immediately.
    I had heard they do this **** but stupidly assumed we were ok as I confirmed numerous times with them that the account was closed and no further payments would be taken and wife never mentioned further payments and I didnt check...I shoulda known better but still...MUPPETS!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

Thats alot
    I've never reached those numbers ever.
    First Login Wed Jun 16 11:30:13 2004  
    Last Login Sun Jul 27 01:19:13 2008  
    Last Login Duration 1440 minutes  
    Logins 3497  
    Offpeak Traffic 1056848 minutes  
    Peak Traffic 422955 minutes  
    Data uploaded 43.24 GB [46431963404 bytes]  
    Data downloaded 543.18 GB [583238838939 bytes]  

July
    Logins 72  
    Offpeak Traffic 27053 minutes  
    Peak Traffic 11214 minutes  
    Data uploaded 1.51 GB [1621427161 bytes]  
    Data downloaded 21.84 GB [23453257116 bytes]  

Ludo wrote: »

etc.

MUPPETS!!!!!

Good luck with this, you'll need it. See this thread for a little more info.

jor el wrote: »
    Good luck with this, you'll need it. See this thread for a little more info.

When I rang them this morning, they agreed immediately that thew screwed up and would refund the money in ten days...I won't hold my breath!

Then.....2 hours later....my phone and broadband on my new account (no link to old account AFAIK) have gone....hmmmmmm...coincidence??????

I can see this degenerating into an almighty mess where I end up out of loads of money and have no phone or broadband for quite a while until they sort it out.

Or maybe it is a screw up by eircom who were upgrading my exchange over the weekend...hopefully!!!

I just logged onto my BT account online. Brought up the latest bill (last month) and only then noticed the old address and phone number on it that we moved out of over a year ago. I had logged onto my old account accidentally using my OLD password and login. Feckers have been charging us 100 yoyos a month for a line and bb service that was terminated over a year ago!!!!

I rang them numerous times at the time of the move and they told me flat out that everything was stopped and the bb was definitely cut off as I tried it.

I am paying the new bill but my wife was paying the old bill. She assumed she was paying the new one sao never mentioned it to me before...FFS. That is over a grand they have taken on a service which was terminated yonks ago.

WELL F*&KING P**ED NOW!!!

Damn customer care line closed ten minutes ago also. They are going to get an earful from me in the morning. Once I get the refund I will switch to eircom immediately.
    I had heard they do this **** but stupidly assumed we were ok as I confirmed numerous times with them that the account was closed and no further payments would be taken and wife never mentioned further payments and I didnt check...I shoulda known better but still...MUPPETS!!!!!

I posted this on 29-07-2008. It is now 11-11-08. Almost 4 months and no refund from BT. They admitted they owe me a few hundred euro and took bank details to refund to. Still no sign of the money and every time I ring them they say "it will take about ten days". Ten days eh...how the f*ck does that translate into 3.5 months!

About to ring them again and inform them of small claims action.
    Then I shall ring Comreg to complain, bt accounts to close my current account with them, bank to cancel all payments to BT and then vodafone or someone to opan a new account. Screw em.

I posted this on 29-07-2008. It is now 11-11-08. Almost 4 months and no refund from BT.

4 months? Sure that's hardly a few micro-seconds in BT land.

Anyway, useful contact info: chris.clark@bt.com (CEO)
    followed by emer.2.kennedy@bt.com (Director of Consumer Division)
    and perhaps complaints@btireland.ie

Then any or all of the following:
    joe@rte.ie, cai@consumerassociation.ie, pricewatch@todayfm.com, Consumerline@comreg.ie, info@comreg.ie, consumer.response@rte.ie and the National Consumer Agency

Tell them to give you your money back, immediately, none of this 10 days BS, or you'll be straight on to your solicitor to start legal proceedings against them.

Thanks...latest update as of yesterday.

1st call...refund issued to a credit card ending in numbers XXX (despite being told originally months ago they could not do that).
    I checked and no refund on card.

2nd call...refund not sent to credit card. Tried to refund to bank account I gave them months ago...transfer failed. Cheque issued to billing address a month ago.
    Erm...I don't live there you morons and told ye that. Can I drop by and collect it from that address? No you muppets...living in Cork...cheque gone to Bray.

So now it will take 10 days for them to cancel that cheque, THEN the refund process will begin again and they will try sending it to my bank account again which will take another 2 weeks. That means at least another month of them having my money.

Time to start making calls.

UPDATE: the email address emer.2.kennedy@bt.com is no longer valid. Guess it was changed due as it was getting too many complaints due to its being published here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

No one ever got anything refunded from BT, the word is not in their vocabulary. Take them to court if I were you, they need sueing.

Advertisement