Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working the Galway Races

Options
  • 27-06-2006 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

I know this is a work issue but since it's pretty much just in galway i thought it could go here. Move if required.

just wondering if anyone on here is going working up in the races this year?

going for an interview for bar work later today.

anyways just wondering.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭qwytre

I worked in the races back in 2001, not behind the bar though but as part of a "crew" who didnt different labour intensive things like stocking the bars with kegs and crates of drinks, loading and unloading stuff from trucks, supervising the young guys who collected empty glasses from around the course etc etc.

They were long days but good money and a good week. Some of the managers were assholes but I get you get that everywhere. The bar staff were crazy busy as you know the bars are thronged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭thenakedchef

jabberwock wrote:
    I know this is a work issue but since it's pretty much just in galway i thought it could go here. Move if required.

just wondering if anyone on here is going working up in the races this year?

going for an interview for bar work later today.

anyways just wondering.
    Ill be there working................wearing just a smile lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I'm applying this year. Worked last year as in a chip van... worst experience of my life.

Trying to get some bar work or at worst, bottleboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

I worked there during the summer of 2003, 2004 in the car park and repairing the track respectively. Car park was fine but crap pay ( good though that we finished once the car park was full and would then get into the track for free to bet our pay).

Track was boring and involved carrying a bucket of sand around filling in all the holes left by horses. Pay wasnt as good as i though it would be either.

Bar work is fine, but you'll be ran off your feet. That place is crazy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 emma-ry-ah

I worked there in the summers of 1993 and 1994!! I was a 'bottle boy' as they called it (even though Im female!) in the Owners and Trainers bar! You got paid £100 for the weeks work, although I did make about £200 a day in tips skipping the queue for people getting them drink! Plus you got great tips in the O & T bar and with a tote inside you couldnt lose! Plus all the fleecing of the mini bottles of vodka was great!!

:eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement