Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what ways to make use of 2nd ip

Options
  • 27-06-2006 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

currently have 20pc's going into switch into router on a line with a fixed ip.
    I was hoping to declog the line a bit by using a second fixed ip on the same line which i have unused at the moment.
    is this logicaly corect thinking or will it actually benifit if i manage to get 10 machines to each ip-

the problm here i think is maybe the poor litle old router is still getting hamerd by the same 20 units?

any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

jasperok wrote:
    currently have 20pc's going into switch into router on a line with a fixed ip.
    I was hoping to declog the line a bit by using a second fixed ip on the same line which i have unused at the moment.
    is this logicaly corect thinking or will it actually benifit if i manage to get 10 machines to each ip-

the problm here i think is maybe the poor litle old router is still getting hamerd by the same 20 units?

any ideas?
    Using the 2nd IP address isn't going to change things.

What sort of "clogging" are you seeing? Is it not just that 20 machines are saturating the capacity of the line? (Even if the downlink capacity isn't saturated, the uplink capacity may be. If a "client" can't send a request or an acknowledgement to a server, then the server won't sent the next packet, even if the downlink is empty. And uplink capacity is usually anything from a quarter to a 10th of uplink capacity).

If most of the usage of network is web browsing, consider setting up a proxy server. You don't necessarily need a dedicated machine, you may be able to use one of the existing workstations, if it it's a fairly recent machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.rpdb.multiple-links.html
    may help may not.

whats your traffic usage like? What type of applications are being used?
    Whats the upload/download of both links?

Have you concidered traffic shapeing to prioritse traffic thats important?

This is going to sound a little weird but whats ur latentancy/ping lime is it >100ms (doubt it but there is a tcp bug for mtu)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

3mb up 3mb down
    no file transfers just browsing and msn for the kids to talk to their friends back home.
    Alot of the time pages are coming back half loaded and you have to refresh to get the full page to load - or else it says page cannot be displayed but again if you hit refresh it loads up.
    maybe its the 20 machines into one switch

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

Are you 100% sure that there is no file sharing - bit torrent etc running on the network.

What type of connection is it - dsl, cable, wireless or satellite.

100% certain there is zero file sharing or downloading of files
    web browsers only
    irish broadband isp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭digiking

jasperok wrote:
    irish broadband isp

Why didn't you say - theres your problem - look in the broadband forum, You'll find many other people with problems with irish broadband

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news:)
    Digiking

What do you mean
    Speedtest ie always shows good results
    pings are good too
    12:1 contention

Please clarify as to why this is my problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Id need to get a packet sniffer on ur network to figure it out and even then it wouldnt be an easy job if ur getting half web pages.

Irish broadband could be ur problem but i doubt it unless you have heavy users. Thoug i have noticed that if the antenna can move when it gets windy connection can get choppy.

20 users on a switch is nothing iv seen 20 users survive in an office on eircom business package with little or no problems.

In the mean time run a speed test and some traffic analysis to see is it bandwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

jasperok wrote:
    maybe its the 20 machines into one switch
    There's a simple test for that - do you get the same problems when all 20 aren't using it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Foxwood wrote:
    There's a simple test for that - do you get the same problems when all 20 aren't using it?
    Good idea.
    Try and power them all down too, if you can and test just one.
    What type of switch is it? What sort of latency do you have from PC to PC?
    Whats sitting between the switch and the radio unit?
    Have you changed PC names/NICs recently?
    What is the network setut like i.e what Class subnet are the PC's using internally, mask etc.?

If your router can (which it should) the easiet thing to do would be to disallow all traffic from the LAN interface except the following:
    TCP Port 80
    TCP port 443
    TCP port 53
    These 3 ports should allow the PCs to browse the internet and nothing else (no POP email, messager, VOIP etc) At least then you could test it for an hour or so to see if it is definiatly not any service connecting from the LAN to an external source. (You may even want to disallow SSL, I have recently seen some apps reverse connecting through an open SSL port, clever enough really if there is no authentication, due to the "encrpytion")

• Advertisement

Will try that thanks
    yep still happens with one pc in use - though havent tried with rest powered down
    thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Using two seperate IPs on the same line is not going to improve anything.
    jasperok wrote:
    Speedtest ie always shows good results
    pings are good too
    12:1 contention

None of the above necessarily mean your line is fine for web browsing. Connect a single PC directly to the router (either with a crossover cable if necessary, or on its own through the switch) - if the same happens, the problem is not on your end. Welcome to Irish Broadband's internet experience :(

Advertisement