Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any ideas for a portable recording device?

• 27-06-2006 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just wondering if you could help me out with something? I'd like to be able to record my stuff with no hassle. So that I can remember what riffs I've played etc. Just some small portable recording devise - I tried to use a Dictaphone but the quality was terrible, I then tried to use my Jukebox but it takes ages to set up and adjust. Something quick and simple that, I can use to remember my stuff. Any ideas would be very great.

Thanks,

Baggio...:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Do you need a multitrack or just mono?

If mono, someting like a minidisc walkman and a cheap mic would be substantially better than the dictaphone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

It would not have to be perfect quality or anything. Just so I can hear the stuff that I was playing. If I don't record a riff I forget it about 10 mins later (goldfish that's me!!:) .

Mini disk - That's not a bad idea.

Thanks,

Baggio.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

What about getting a few room/overhead mics through a cheap mixer and put the output into a minidisk recorder or mp3 player, something like that?

Hiya,

I really just want something simple and portable. It's pretty much me sitting in the front room with my guitar. I'll be writing the odd tune for the band, so it's just a sketchpad for my ideas.

Thanks,

Baggio...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Hee, I was getting confused with the other Baggio :p

A minidisc recorder with an external microphone should be sufficent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

i have a yamaha mt120s i am trading for anything interesting. sounds perfect for what you want

sei046 wrote:
    i have a yamaha mt120s i am trading for anything interesting. sounds perfect for what you want

Hey,

What's a "mt120s"? You will have to excuse my ignorance. I just scream down a mic. So I'm new to all the techie stuff:D .
    feylya wrote:
    Hee, I was getting confused with the other Baggio :p

There seems to be two Baggio's: I'm the punk/hardcore one - my the names Robert. :)

Cheers,

Baggio...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I use one of these:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/R-1/specs.html

It records onto Compact Flash and the quality is lovely off it, but you'd be talking the best part of €400 for one.

I use one of these:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/R-1/specs.html

It records onto Compact Flash and the quality is lovely off it, but you'd be talking the best part of €400 for one.

Very Nice! But a bit too expensive for what I want.

Cheers anyhoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1705&brandID=4

Same idea but cheaper. They come up on ebay a lot.

• Advertisement

Thanks Bro',

Bagg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 noh showband

Hi, Robert.

I got an MP3 player for around 50 quid that records voice - I hardly ever use it for listening to music, but that's possible too. It's tiny, slips into the pocket, a go-anywhere device for exactly the kind of thing I think you're talking about: Something you can take anywhere and if you get inspired, you can record the inspiration on the spot.

The quality is naff, so you won't be re-mixing it later, but since when does an initial inspiration not need re-working? All this mini-disk jazz is the next stage and frankly, I'd bypass it and go to the four-track portable, like the Zoom MRS4, for around the same price as a servicable minidisk recorder. It's tiny, runs on batteries and will let you check your harmonies and the like wherever you are - I used it on a bus once, just quickly cos I didn't want to wake up the sleeper beside me.

I think anything else is a waste of money, but then I didn't get a DVD player till last year, either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The minidisc is a dying format alright.

The radio station that I work with has used minidiscs for years and it's getting harder and harder to get repairs and replacements.

Just wanted to say thanks for everybodies help - I've got a few decent ideas now.:D

Cheers,

Rob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Kivun Sotilas

I use the record function on my mp3 player then I can shove all the riffs in a folder on my computer for using later.

Advertisement