Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Abbey Fishermen

Options
  • 27-06-2006 3:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭

Putting the last pieces of my thesis on them together and need to find out what happened to them after 1938. I have most of the men accounted for but there are still a few missing.
    The families were Clancy, Hayes, McNamara and Shanny all of whom lived in the Abbey area of the city (except the Shanny's who lived in Park)
    A list of the men I am looking for is here:
    http://www.limerickslife.com/theabbeyfishermen.htm#67192579
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Is that your website? I've come across it before. It's absolutely excellant. Keep up the good work on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭scrattletrap

Yes, that is my website, thank you for the comment, I hope to have more updates on it soon, after I have more of this darn thesis done !!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

It's amazing that Irish people, and in many instances Limerick people have little or no knowledge of the history of their own area, apart from some vague 800 hundred years of oppression. Hopefully your website will dispell some of the ignorance.

Good luck with the thesis.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Abbey Lass

Hi Scrattletrap, great site. I am from the abbey, the McNamara's being my family on my mother's side. We lived for a lot of years at 2 Glue Yard lane, then moved to Long Lane and finally to Sir Harry's Mall ( we were never big mover's lol ). The Clancy and Hayes family's were our neighbour's and great friends. It's funny to see the nicknames now as they have not been heard in donkey's years, mainly because as the years went by, they didnt want to be refered to by those name's.
    If you need help in your research on the fishermen, some of their extended families are still living in or around the Abbey and are easy to find. Unfortunately when the new bridge and road went through most of the families moved out, including myself.
    Another person who might be able to help you would be Denis O Shaughnessy he write's for the Limerick Leader and has published some books of stories about the Abbey.
    I wish I could be of more help to you, but keep up the great work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭scrattletrap

Thank you for that information, Abbey Lass, I have been in contact with Denis and he has been a great help.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement