Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tides

• 27-06-2006 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi can someone clear up this little argument i have ,

Are tides in the mediterrenean ALWAYS high in the afternoon and low in the morning ?

My girlfriend thinks this but im 99% sure its like it is everywhere else
    as in it cycles about an hour each day ?

However someone else mentioned that tides were different in the med ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

I don't know much about this.. but I was kind of intrigued so I did a quick google search.. and came across this page..

http://www.lifesciences.napier.ac.uk/teaching/Env/Med4.htm

which says...
    However, the Mediterranean basins are the wrong size to resonate to the Sun amd Moon attractions, and so its astronomical tides are small;
    However, sea-level can change by up to a metre as a result of changes in the distribution of atmospheric pressure. This is called the meteorological tide, and itseffects can be seen on the shore around Marseille;
    meteorological tides are much less regular than astronomical tides; they typically have periods of a few days;

So I guess there is definitely some truth in what your girlfriend says. The effect of the astronomical tides are still there, but it must be minimal compared to other environmental factors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭Sev

i guess it kind of makes sense.. because in order for the sea level in the mediteranean to lower, ALL the water must flood out through the strait of gibraltar which is fairly narrow.

Advertisement