Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Navteq Maps

Options
  • 27-06-2006 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Im travelling across europe in september for the student gumball rally and i want to get a satnav system.

I like the look and features of the navman and tom tom units but am i right in saying that the maps are poor?

I will want to be able to use the unit when I get back and it looks as though garmin are the only company that have coverage in ireland using navteq mapping system. Am i right?

Any recommendations on this, looking at the c320 & c330 by garmin if that is the case.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've used Navteq in a VDO nav system here in Ireland and in Europe back in 2001. I've also used TeleAtlas here. I found both quite good, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭cooper_man

thats the strange thing. Tom Tom seem the MOST recommended systems out there but according to teleatlas they have 0 coverage in ireland. Poeple also have said it is poor in europe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Garmin are the best for Ireland I believe. Though you can get re-furbed Navman 510's for €250 on the navman site. I would really like a Navman 550, they look the bees knees. I'm shortly moving to Europe, so I bought a cheap Goodmans GNAV10 with complete Europe maps on ebay over the weekend. Hopefully it's ok for Dublin at least

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

zuutroy wrote:
    Garmin are the best for Ireland I believe. Though you can get re-furbed Navman 510's for €250 on the navman site. I would really like a Navman 550, they look the bees knees. I'm shortly moving to Europe, so I bought a cheap Goodmans GNAV10 with complete Europe maps on ebay over the weekend. Hopefully it's ok for Dublin at least

Are they the re-branded PDA type units?

I prefer the look of the Garmin Nuvi 300; at the pricier end at over €400, but looks like a very neat package.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Tom Tom is considered to be right up there for continental Europe. They don't do Ireland though atm, so it won't be any good to you upon your return

For Ireland you need any package that uses the latest Navteq maps for full coverage! Ireland has only been fully covered for the first time a few months ago. Older maps / software are generally ok for main roads only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I just got a Medion GoPal PNA500 at the weekend - it uses Navteq maps. For Ireland, the maps are very good ! According to the website (can't remember the URL but it's international version of www.medion.co.uk) you have to pay €99 for additional maps.

The PNA500 seems quite good - cost me STG£175 in Belfast.

http://www.completegps.co.uk/medion500.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

i rember when i was looking to do this i couldnt find maps for one country . cant rember which one it was but its one of the later ones . gl in the race

rember donkeys own the roads

Advertisement