Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Intel 2200BG wireless adapter works under Linux, but not under Windows... help!

• 27-06-2006 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

Hi:

I know a lot of people will be doing a double-take at the subject of this one, as it's usually the reverse that's true, but there you go. I'm trying to figure out a weird problem with a dual-booting Dell Latitude D610 (XP Pro/Ubuntu 6.06). This has an integrated Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG, which works just fine under Ubuntu.

Under XP, however, it's a different story. I can see the available networks, connect to them just fine (in so far that it says "Connected" in the Intel PRO/Set Wireless tool) but it refuses to get an IP or any other details over DHCP, and even when I set them all statically nothing happens.

(Before anyone asks, the network in question uses 128-bit WEP, and yes, I re-entered the password a number of times to ensure that it wasn't entered wrong - also, DHCP registration and all that stuff works 100% fine on the wired Ethernet adaptor under XP and Ubuntu - it's plug and play, as you'd expect. In both cases, the DHCP server is sitting on the wireless router - a Netgear DG834G v2 running the most recent firmware, but this hasn't been updated in months - also, we can connect fine with other laptops)

The wireless event viewer thing that comes with the Intel tools also references not being able to initialize XIXA - I've googled for this and am coming up empty. I've run Spybot over it come up empty. Registry seems to contain no references to "XIXA" either. Currently running a full virus scan.

Just in case, I should point out that it's running the latest Intel drivers as offered by Dell themselves (9.0.4.13).

Anyone have any ideas? I'm stumped...
    Cheers,
    Gadget

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Since it runs ok under linux but not windows it's obviously not an hardware issue but a software one. I'd download the latest drivers for the card from the intel site. Uninstall the current ones, restart, then install the intel ones. See if that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

According to http://support.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-010623.htm, the Dell version has exactly the same versions of the utility and driver installed, so you could say I've already done this :(

Thanks for trying though...
    Gadget

And did you uninstall and reinstall the drivers?

Yep... uninstall, restart, reinstall, restart... no change.

If you set a static ip address, can you ping router? Or any external sites via domain name or ip?

• Advertisement

No and no. Have tried that. :(
    Weird thing is, I put in the password wrong (on purpose) and it does exactly the same thing...?

What if you switch off WEP and test it then? Just trying to rule out all the possibilities here....

Will do, but can't right now. Will look at it tomorrow morning, thanks for your help.
    Gadget

Right, just got back to checking this infernal contraption again.

Disabled encryption - works
    Re-enable encryption at router and enter WEP key (the numeric one) - works
    Enter Passphrase instead - crunch. Nothing

Gah!
    Gadget

Well then just enter the numeric number so. ;)

Perhaps the passphase is not being translated by the intel software into the correct corresponding network key.

• Advertisement

That's my guess. It's damned annoying when travelling and because, well, it used to work, and then just stopped...

Thanks though.
    Gadget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

intel wireless cards are not supported under windows xp sp2 that could be your problem

intel wireless cards are not supported under windows xp sp2 that could be your problem
    What are you basing that gem on?

says it on the website

direct link?

theyve updated the page since i last looked at it and "supposedly" supports sp2 but i wouldnt believe that tbh

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/cs-013915.htm

you must have last looked about 3 years ago so. ;)

Intel wireless cards work fine under SP2. Sure if it didn't anyone with a Centrino laptop would be fucked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Ahhh rick_(!)fantastic

:o

*sigh* I'm embarassed to say I got that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

lol knew you would/!

• Advertisement

yeah its been a while since i checked the site. my bad :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

My 2c worth - just had a pain in the ring with the same card in an nx7010 - just BSOD'ed every so often.
    Spent many many valuable minutes seraching the web; for drivers etc. etc....

Eventually found this gem
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00586598&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

I know you're working on a Dell (spits out!) but maybe this problem is common across the different manufacturers.

Advertisement