Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNS Testing tools

Options
  • 27-06-2006 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hey All,

Does anyone know of any decent DNS testing tools I wish to fully test both my Internal and External DNS

Something is not right somewhere.. I cant figure out where though.

Ive tried DNSreport for the external which is nice for what it is but I need more information, I also think something is definatly up with my internal configuration, which works at the moment.. but I just get a bad feeling about it. Ive prayed to all the network gods and tried some network voodoo but to no avail.

Any DNS guru's out their? What tools do you use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

http://www.dnsstuff.com

not sure if its what your after tho?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

dig ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Ill check those and get back to you, see what I can find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

when you say something is not right but everything is working fine at the moment.. what do you mean?

I mean when I run DNSReport I get the following errors

WARN Glue at parent nameservers
    WARN Mail server host name in greeting
    FAIL Connect to mail servers
    WARN Acceptance of abuse address
    WARN SPF record
    INFO Nameservers versions Your nameservers have the following versions:
    158.43.129.67: No version info available (refused).
    158.43.193.67: No version info available (refused).

also I cant ping google.com but I can ping the IP address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Can you get out on port 53 for transfers etc to the external site(s)? Or more importantly can you internal NS get to the outside on 53?

azzeretti: Thanks Im just looking into that at the moment. Running ISA 2000 in cache mode, which might be causing some trouble still working on that piece of the puzzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Ah yes, ISA2000! Its been a while, but you should be able to disable the cache temporarily, and I also have nice batch file for completely clearing it, although this will mess up any reports you might have.

Let us know if you manage to sort it!

Advertisement