Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting a c# application onto a server

Options
  • 27-06-2006 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

I've got a small application working on properly on
    http://localhost/Application/IntroPage.aspx
    But when I try to set it up on a server and access it I'm told

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error
    Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Unfortunatly this error appears for all .aspx filenames I enter, wheteher they exist or not.

I've been struggling with this for a while now and nothing I've managed to dig up has helped me. Does anyone have any tips or hints?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

check the IIS virtual directory settings , for a test make sure its read / read / browse / execute.

do you have asp.net installed ? as IIS throws up all sorts of errors when its no installed .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

there is a setting the web config file you can change to get more verbose errors. Can't remeber what it is though
    does the ASP.Net worker process have access to your IIS folder?

Narrow down the possabilities, the first thing I would do is to make sure the code is running fine on the server , so goto the server and try the site.

When that works fine properties the directory in IIS and goto the security tab and make sure annoymous access is check and also down at the bottom make sure integrated windows security is checked.

Then from your machine login as administrator and try access the site. At this point you should get access. Now log in under your account and try again. If you are still getting this error, the problem lies with your accounts access levels.

If the above doesnt work , look at your web.config file and make sure it says :

<authorization>
    <allow users="*" /> <!-- Allow all users -->
    </authorization>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Like smoggy said, try to browse to it on the server itself, you may get a better error message that way. Also if you just created a folder in the wwwroot and copied the file in there, you may need to go into the Internet services manager, or IIS administrator or whatever it's called, browse to that folder and go to it's properties. Here you can enable read and write and give execute permissions for scripts, and also create an application if there isn't one already, that'll let you into some more configuration options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

Do exactly like it says in the error message and turn on verbose debug mode. Do this by adding: <compilation debug="true" /> into the system.web section of your web.config file. It should tell you exactly what is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Do any of you guys above work with C# web apps at all?

OP: First things first, do as the error says and turn off custom error messages.

Go into your web.config and scroll down till you see the CustomErrors section, it will be set to RemoteOnly most likely. Change this to Off and you will get a far more valuable error from your application which should let you find the problem.

Advertisement