Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice about a kitten please.

Options
  • 27-06-2006 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    We seem to have got a new edition to the family. A kitten appeared last night. I'd say its only around 6 weeks, its trying to suckle, although it did finish the chicken that was down for my cats.
    What should I feed it?
    Someone said not to give it cows milk, but I'm not sure. Will it need worming soon.
    Its a shame if someone dumped it as I think it should still be with its mother.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I would bring the kitten into the vet for the once over just incase it has any problems, they will also advise you what is best to feed it.
    Dogs and cats dont have what it takes to break down the sugar in milk, if you wanted, give it milk in very small doses. Some cats can tolerate it and others cannot.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

if it's eating solid food, just the solid food and water, definitely no milk.

if it won't take solid food, get some milk replacer from the vet, goats milk will do in a pinch.

definitely see a vet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Thanks very much, I will do that. He seems to be eating solid food OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

most cats are lactose intolerant so I would not give the kitten cow's milk. as Garth said lactol or royal canin kitten milk, failing that goats milk. a vet check is definitely recommended, as the kitten may need to be de-flea'd & wormed, and the vet can advise on the exact age & when vacination will be required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

Wonderfull that you adopted the kitten. Great.

At six weeks kittens eat already vast food, so you don't have to worry about bottles ect. They will also start to eat dry food. Don't give it milk, not even the cat milk. For a treat now and then, no problem, but not on a daily basis. Water is perfect. If you use a littertray for your other cats just put the kitten on it once or twice and it will know what to do next time.

As you don't know if the mother has been vacinated, you have to do it. The booster will be in two steps. Have it vacinated and checked now, and in a few weeks time you have to get the second vacination. Have it vacinated on a yearly base. That should happen with every cat anyway.

Good luck.
    Mariejeanne

• Advertisement

Thats for all the advice. We actually gave him water in a little toy bottle last night, I know he can eat but I felt so sorry for him trying to suckle.
    The way I look at it, I already have 2 cats and one more won't make a difference, although I was hoping that the others would like him and they are both growling and hissing at the moment.

Don't expect your other cats to accept the new one just like that. It will take some time.
    We have 10 cats ourself and they all get on very well with each other. The oldest is 23 and the youngest 1 year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I have 10 cats & 1 kitten & the 10 are not keen but in a week its getting better at least my youngest cat & the kitten will now sleep on my bed together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

you'll get some fantastic advice here:

www.kittenadoption.ie

Very informative site,

I will put a link on our website to this one.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that website, its great.

Advertisement