Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2002 Pass Degree

• 27-06-2006 5:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I need some speedy info on this.

If a person who graduated in 2002 was awarded a pass degree, what level of qualification does that equate to in the new system?

Is their qualification the same as a person who gets a pass degree now (The old Diploma).

Ya git me? :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The old diploma=an ordinary degree right now, so a distinction equates to an honours in an ordinary degree.

Passing an honours degree is still regarded as a pass degree, AFAIK. An honours degree is a 2.2 or above, as I am sure you know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

tom dunne wrote:
    The old diploma=an ordinary degree right now, so a distinction equates to an honours in an ordinary degree.

Passing an honours degree is still regarded as a pass degree, AFAIK. An honours degree is a 2.2 or above, as I am sure you know :)

Ah yeah, mine's a 2.1 honours so no issues there, but a mate of mine got a pass degree before the changes were made. He's going for a job where you must have an honours degree... but.. Seen as he has a BA from 2002, does that equate to a modern hons degree or a pass degree.

Im confusing myself here now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

He's going for a job where you must have an honours degree...

Then he needs an honours degree. An honours degree is still an honours degree, that didn't change with the change-over from diplomas to ordinary degrees etc.

Um. Third-class honours degrees do exist, y'know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

claire h wrote:
    Um. Third-class honours degrees do exist, y'know...

His degree cert says Pass on it. Not all colleges award third class honours degrees as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

THe level of the award is different to the award. i.e. you can get a pass in a honours degree and get a distinction in a honours degree.

The new system has 10 levels

10 PhD
    9 Masters
    8 Honours Degree, may be awarded at pass, 2.2, 2.1, 1.1
    7 Degree (Ordinary Degree) may be awardes at pass, merit 2, merit 1, distinction
    6 Higher Certificate

The comparable awards prior to the new system are

8 Degree
    7 National Diploma
    6 National Certificate.

The above might help and some awards (postgraduate) have been left off. If you are unsure if you contact the college where you achieved the award, they should be able to advise. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement