Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Years Resoultions

Options
  • 27-06-2006 5:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Inspired by Kevin's little explosion of hypocrisy and misguided facts and the replies that followed I got to thinking what I'm going to do different from September onwards

With regards college itself I promise I WILL go to more lectures should I pass my exams and go on a year. Otherwise its party time.

With regards boards Ill laugh at all the fools who get roped into any SU thread rather than become furious at the nonsence.

What are everyones resoultions for their new year in college?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I'll be living near to campus so studying in library more is one. Study more in general.
    Also, go to the L&H events this year as boyf is on committee.
    That's it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Grimes wrote:
    What are everyones resoultions for their new year in college?
    Not to be here for a new term....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Most importantly, don't fail exams.
    Spend less time wasting time online when in the labs and spend more time doing actual work...
    Go to more TKD training sessions than I have been doing over the last while, and to join the gym.

In other words, the exact same resolutions I've made at the start of every semester for the last 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Eat more pie.

I think it's a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

That IS a good one!

Spend less time playing counter-strike when I should be working on projects...Damnit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Show Trinity how to party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

IF..(big IF) I make the MA program I'm goin' to spend less time at the Wall smokin' and stuff. I might even go to that mythical place with the books in it.*

*Ruled by that deity Librocop, scourge of the Barbarians.

I hope to see yis all, if not... *wipes a little biddy tear from his eye...*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I'll try to actually go to lectures that are on before 11. I'll also actually do assignments, I skipped some of them last year because they were too easy :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Go to all my lectures, all the time, no excuses.
    Hand in all my essays, on time, no excuses.
    Make a effort to make a good impresion on someone in the English dept so I can get a good reference.
    Study loads, all year, achieve potential, get a good degree, avoid bringing shame on the family.
    Quit my crap job that I hate by Easter at the latest.
    Research MA options.
    Have fewer but better nights on the piss.
    Join the gym.
    Smoke less.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Waltons wrote:
    That IS a good one!

Spend less time playing counter-strike when I should be working on projects...Damnit!
    Now replace CS with World of Warcraft and you've got one I should definitely stick to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

bully the english department into letting me do a phd.
    bully irchss into giving me money.
    read books.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

I'm going to get fluent in German. By necessity and not by choice. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

rain on wrote:
    bully the english department into letting me do a phd.
    bully irchss into giving me money.
    read books.

I dont know if I could stick another 3(-4?) years in UCD, thatd make a total tally of like seven or so, which cannot be healthy!!

I'm already in two minds as regards a PhD anyway, its hard enough motivating myself for the MA! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I'm going to change. This is the last of this sort of thing. I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm going to be just like you: the job, the family, the fúcking big television, the washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electrical tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisurewear, luggage, three-piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption, clearing the gutters, getting by, looking ahead, to the day you die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

scop wrote:
    I dont know if I could stick another 3(-4?) years in UCD, thatd make a total tally of like seven or so, which cannot be healthy!!

I'm already in two minds as regards a PhD anyway, its hard enough motivating myself for the MA! :eek:
    well it's that or get a job, and i've heard too many bad things about jobs to ever want one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

1. Take an active interest in my courses, even if I hate them (Medieval history I'm looking in your direction!), and think about them from the perspective that I'm actually improving myself, rather than it's somethin I have to do.

2. Only join societies and clubs that I'm gonna take part in -- and then take part in them!!!

3. Join the gym and build up the muscles

4. Go to college social things

5. Go to my first boards beers!!! Although if that camping thing in July actually happens then that'll be my first

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

griffdaddy wrote:
    I'm going to change. This is the last of this sort of thing. I'm cleaning up and I'm moving on, going straight and choosing life. I'm looking forward to it already. I'm going to be just like you: the job, the family, the fúcking big television, the washing machine, the car, the compact disc and electrical tin opener, good health, low cholesterol, dental insurance, mortgage, starter home, leisurewear, luggage, three-piece suite, DIY, game shows, junk food, children, walks in the park, nine to five, good at golf, washing the car, choice of sweaters, family Christmas, indexed pension, tax exemption, clearing the gutters, getting by, looking ahead, to the day you die.
    +2385627826 rep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

rain on wrote:
    well it's that or get a job, and i've heard too many bad things about jobs to ever want one of them.

I agree, its the staying in UCD bit that grates me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

NOT to join the gym. Joined in september (such a fresher mistake) and haven't gone once.

Seriously, DON'T DO IT, just join a couple of sports clubs instead. They're cheaper and (not that I know, having not gone to this "gym") more fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

dajaffa wrote:
    NOT to join the gym. Joined in september (such a fresher mistake) and haven't gone once.

Seriously, DON'T DO IT, just join a couple of sports clubs instead. They're cheaper and (not that I know, having not gone to this "gym") more fun

Haha I did that too in first year, spent about 120 quid on the gym and used it about 3 times because I suddenly realised I don't like exercise or generally being fit and healthy! :o

Yeah resolutions: loads of booze, sex and drugs. That'll do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Spend more time studying, doing the reading and also try to strike a balance between my work and the union and societies.

To be more relaxed having my work paced out and having my essays done at least one day before the deadline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

dajaffa wrote:

Nah, you haven't put me off it. I like working out, I just never have time for it because I spend aobut 12 hours a day on campus. But if I could go to the gym on campus... ah

Also I wouldn't join a sports club in a fit, I used to run cross country competitivly(which I'm sure will come as a shock to anyone who sees how much I smoke, but this was back in the day) and it put me off any kind of competitive sports for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

Just want to make it clear that most of the teams in ucd are anything but seriousy competitive.... generally the drinkies after match/training are what matters. I found that one out the hard way, actually wanted to play competitivley, but it turned out to be more of a fun thing.

Sure if you do join this "gym", best of luck with going n stuff, I started out the year with such good intentions... quite frankly the closest I got was the room called the gym in the health sci building. Oh wait, I did go to the changing room once cause my friend had to get thir bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Get radsoc up and running.

Get a place on Erasmus in Malta - go to Malta and have fun.

Work harder than last year - counting towards degree and all.

Get my research published.

Get drunk at every Archaeology coffee morning with Keith.

Go out more with rads.

Enjoy single life in college (a relatively new experience).

Convince my class that coppers is not the greatest club in the world and get them to come to crawdaddy more and maybe once Doyles.

Join a sports club and maybe actually go.

I think i'm spreading myself a little thin with this plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Pythia wrote:
    go to the L&H events this year as boyf is on committee

Really?

I plan on keeping up the studying, enjoying myself and generally making the most of the college experience. Working 9-6 at the moment and I've realised how much we need to value our college days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Participate in Lawsoc and L&H debates, should be great fun.Also run for Class Rep.

Advertisement