Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Display XML in collapsable tree structure

Options
  • 27-06-2006 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭

Aside from writing a scipt/app to do this, does anyone know of a freeware app/util/online script to display an xml file in a collapsable tree structure ?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Not sure but you could give XMLSpy a shot:
    http://www.altova.com/

I use it in work and it's excellent, there's a free home edition. Don't know what view options you have in it, but worth looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Thanks. A colleague recommended this too but when I visited the site I didn't see the free home version and the pay version seems very pricey and probably overkill for this simple task I need.

Since I'm also not a home user, it's a little dodgy to use this so I might just have to write a PHP script to do this, but I'll have a look anyway.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I thought that IE and Firefox display XML files in a collapsable tree structure by default. Obviously you cannot edit the file in this case.

I just opened Firefox's downloads.rdf (an XML configuration file) in Firefox 1.5 on Solaris sparc and it displayed the document in a collapsable tree (with all nodes expanded).
    I did have to rename the file to ".xml". Also, it did have "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below." at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

daymobrew wrote:
    I thought that IE and Firefox display XML files in a collapsable tree structure by default. Obviously you cannot edit the file in this case.

I just opened Firefox's downloads.rdf (an XML configuration file) in Firefox 1.5 on Solaris sparc and it displayed the document in a collapsable tree (with all nodes expanded).
    I did have to rename the file to ".xml". Also, it did have "This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below." at the top.
    That is what i was thinking too lastnight but didn't want to mention it incase i've missed something obvious you've said!

Advertisement