Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Once upon a time I was officially an Atheist....

• 27-06-2006 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

I remember one day i was watching an episode of some TV programme. I dunno what its called [ill try find out]. I think it was some Law programme, but anyway...

This episode was about a REALLY devout Christian man and a really devout Jewish woman, who just seperated and were battling over the custody of thei little girl, the Father claiming he had to save her soul

So anyway, in the end the Dad won, as he was a rich business man,and, Oh yeah, would save her soul

So the woman who was the Mother's Lawer went to see the little girl, and the little girl said

I know my Mommy won't go to Heaven
    Because there is no Heaven
    and theres no Hell, and no God
    Because if there was a God, he would'nt do this to me and my Mommy

That was one of the biggest eye-opening statements, in general, I have ever heard, and I agree 100%

People shouldnt waste time praising what doesnt exist [I can say God doesnt exist because he doesnt, theres no proof, and in my eyes proof = existence]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

so should people who live in really hot deserts not believe in ice or water falling from the sky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

That's just stupid, ye know what I meant

There has never been any proof of God, EVER, AT ALL, ANYWHERE!

Desert people can see rain, and Ice, and go to other countries and see it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

abetarrush wrote:
    You can't see there isn't a god either. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

Exactly

Tot I said that

That's what I'm like, I don't try to convince people theres no God, and I'm not sayin there ISNT, I just seriously doubt there is

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm converted!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

There has never been any proof of God, EVER, AT ALL, ANYWHERE!

but that's the point, atheists have as much ability to go to the spiritual 'place' that theists go to to find 'proof'.. we just have to will ourselves to, or have something really horrible happen to us I suppose.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

For me religion is the first real theory of existence. However science has allowed us to develop new theories about all the aspects of our universe. Theories are updated, replaced and are constanted evolving. God on the other hand has dug itself in by not allowing itself to be replaced, Its built on the premise that you can never understand it or disprove it. But so is the idea that the answer to life, the universe and everything is 42. It cannot be tested and yet we can accept this as fiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

You can't see a floating banana. Does one exist? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

abetarrush wrote:
    I know my Mommy won't go to Heaven
    Because there is no Heaven
    and theres no Hell, and no God

While I see the point, I beg to differ. I myself am agnostic,
    but I like to think that everything happens for a reason. Not because 'something' made it happen but simply because is was 'meant' to happen.

I use to call myself atheist but I found myself wondering about...well, gods I suppose. It took me a long time to figure everything out, but now, it just seems right to me.

Now I'm open 100% to other peoples thoughts, this is just mine. I can't understand how someone can say, 'I'm now atheist/agnostic, whatever. I just don't understand it! Sure it might make you question your religion, but can something like that really change your mind completely?? Now as I said before thats just MY opinion and anyone can disagree with me. For that would be their personal opinion and I respest that,
    Matty

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SonOfPerdition

Nehpets wrote:
    You can't see a floating banana. Does one exist? ;)

does the floating banana in my mind exist?

• Advertisement

Doomspell wrote:
    While I see the point, I beg to differ. I myself am agnostic,
    but I like to think that everything happens for a reason. Not because 'something' made it happen but simply because is was 'meant' to happen.

I use to call myself atheist but I found myself wondering about...well, gods I suppose. It took me a long time to figure everything out, but now, it just seems right to me.

Now I'm open 100% to other peoples thoughts, this is just mine. I can't understand how someone can say, 'I'm now atheist/agnostic, whatever. I just don't understand it! Sure it might make you question your religion, but can something like that really change your mind completely?? Now as I said before thats just MY opinion and anyone can disagree with me. For that would be their personal opinion and I respest that,
    Matty

cool . .if you have it figured out can you share with the rest of us mere mortals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

I have a dream ... a dream of a better world ... a dream where my children and your children can live and play in peace ... a dream where every second post on the atheist forum doesn't decend into rants about the logic of being an agnostic over and atheist ... oh yes, I have dream today!

To abetarrush, welcome to the Atheist forum, please leave your logic at the door :D

Wicknight wrote:
    I have a dream ...
    I really thought this was going to be something more noble. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

I really thought this was going to be something more noble. :D
    Don't encourage him, he might just put it to music:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

People shouldn't waste time praising what doesn't exist [I can say God doesnt exist because he doesnt, there's no proof, and in my eyes proof = existence]
    Proof? You, nature in general and the universe, how much more proof do you need? Have you a better explanation for how a universe so perfect came about?

Maybe the traditional view of God is wrong but that doesn't mean there was no creator or that something specific caused this universe to come into existence. If you don't restrict your view of God to the religions God could be practically anything from an event to an equation.
    For me religion is the first real theory of existence.
    That's the way I look at it too and as theorys go it was preaty good considering it was completely imagined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Wicknight wrote:
    I have a dream ... a dream of a better world ... a dream where my children and your children can live and play in peace ... a dream where every second post on the atheist forum doesn't decend into rants about the logic of being an agnostic over and atheist ... oh yes, I have dream today!

To abetarrush, welcome to the Atheist forum, please leave your logic at the door :D
    It should become a banning offence - get it in the charter Mr Atheist!

We should have one stickied thread to debate the philosophical hair splitting about who's an atheist and who's agnostic and why we should be one rather than the other.

I think this must be a cunning plan by a Divine Being, to divide and conquer the non-believers, they're so busy splitting hairs and arguing amongst themselves to have a go at the theists!!
    - Muwahahahahaha!!!!

Either that or we need *both* an agnostic and an atheist forum - obviously clumping such opposing beliefs in a single forum is just asking for trouble :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yes, it should just be stated in the charter that we all know that it is more logical. ;)

ScumLord wrote:
    Proof? You, nature in general and the universe, how much more proof do you need? Have you a better explanation for how a universe so perfect came about?

Maybe the traditional view of God is wrong but that doesn't mean there was no creator or that something specific caused this universe to come into existence. If you don't restrict your view of God to the religions God could be practically anything from an event to an equation.

That's the way I look at it too and as theorys go it was preaty good considering it was completely imagined.

<playing devils advocate>
    proof of the existence of nature and the universe relies on the fact that our senses aren't lying to us. . but thats an assumption and in itself can't be proved .. so nothing can be proved.

we're all figments of the deranged mind of a rabid turtle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

pH wrote:
    It should become a banning offence - get it in the charter Mr Atheist!

We should have one stickied thread to debate the philosophical hair splitting about who's an atheist and who's agnostic and why we should be one rather than the other.

I think this must be a cunning plan by a Divine Being, to divide and conquer the non-believers, they're so busy splitting hairs and arguing amongst themselves to have a go at the theists!!
    - Muwahahahahaha!!!!

Ah well, at least we're not quite as bad as the theists themselves, and they seem to have time left over to attack atheism/agnosticism...

in the manner of a fruit drink,
    Scofflaw

Yes, it should just be stated in the charter that we all know that it is more logical. ;)
    But how can you be sure. I mean it might not be... or maybe it is... I mean isn't... ohhh I just can't decide!
    in the manner of a fruit drink
    LOL

• Advertisement

But how can you be sure. I mean it might not be... or maybe it is... I mean isn't... ohhh I just can't decide!
    I have decided that I define everything, and that what I believe is always right, this makes things easier. (:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MrB

ScumLord wrote:
    Perfect, the only way you could say the Universe is perfect is by closing your eyes to all the imperfections!
    Actually I don't really see the Universe as being perfect or imperfect, I just see it as being. It is everything so there is nothing to compare it to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

ScumLord wrote:

Define "perfect" in that context? Perfect compared to what?

As MrB points out the universe is full of weird things, things that aren't quite right, and things that just don't work very well.

How is a black-hole ripping apart a star considered "perfect"

It seems rather silly to consider the universe perfect or imperfect, since we have nothing to compare it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

ScumLord wrote:

Millions of years of evolution? The world 4-5 billion years old. That's 4 thousand million years btw. Now that is unimaginable for a human. Our average life spans is around 70 years. Not even the tiniest blip on the chart of time. In fact 4 thousand million years in almost timeless if you think about it.
    Animals and insects throughout time and through generations evolve to suit their habitats, so everything is constantly changing, balancing.
    That is our perfect world, thousand of millions of years of balance.
    scumlord wrote:

The theory of a god is just about the weakest and most pathetic explanation of the universe. It a hopeless catch all idea born out of ignorance and superstition the very antithesis of evolution. And it cetainly wasn't original even in biblical times, there many other well known recorded supposed gods so they derived a variant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Wicknight wrote:
    Define "perfect" in that context? Perfect compared to what?

As MrB points out the universe is full of weird things, things that aren't quite right, and things that just don't work very well.

How is a black-hole ripping apart a star considered "perfect"

It seems rather silly to consider the universe perfect or imperfect, since we have nothing to compare it too.

Even if we had something to compare it to it would pointless, as perfect is a word, a human idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

abetarrush wrote:
    Interventionist God.

God.

Two different things.

I hope this TV show isn't the whole basis for your eyes being 'opened' or your atheism. There are many Theists who are Theists for idiotic reasons and generally out of ignorance and there are just as many Atheists who are Atheists for idiotic reasons and out of ignorance. So, like Doomspell said, be quick to question your beliefs, but don't be so utterly impressionable so as to be entirely swayed one way or the other so easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭babyvaio

abetarrush wrote:
    Exactly

Tot I said that

That's what I'm like, I don't try to convince people theres no God, and I'm not sayin there ISNT, I just seriously doubt there is

Just dropped by ;)
    Hmm, this is fun. First u were 100% convinced, and then in one the next posts u have certain doubts about the same thought....hmmm hmmm hmmm :cool:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> There are many [...] Atheists who are Atheists for idiotic reasons and out of ignorance

Could you give us an example of some atheists who are atheistic for idiotic reasons or out of ignorance? Name or reasons would be good!

I'm talking about reasons that would more politely be termed 'unsound'. Okay, I'll attempt to do so. Before I do, I'm wondering: do you believe there are no atheists who have arrived at Atheism by unsound logic?
    Am I to assume you contest not that there are also Theists who do the very same thing?
    Sorry buddy, nice try, but I shan't be naming names. Some of these people are friends of mine. Others are people I've had one-off debates with; many strangers on forums.
    Okay, some people, for what to me are irrational reasons, suddenly decide 'there is no God'. And that's very well and good - more power to 'em. But for me, the thinking is often unsound.
    Here is the most common example. A friend of mine's mother died of cancer several years ago. Up until this point my friend was your average catholic teenager (in that they didn't have any specific doubts about being christian, but nor would they have been unusually devout or anything; it wasn't a huge part of their life*). Anyway, it's not a subject we often discuss, but the next time we did, some months later, they were atheist. Apparently because no God would have taken their mother like that. I asked if there were other reasons and there weren't. It was the typical (if understandable) difficulty in believing in an omnipotent benevolent God. But the absence of an omnipotent benevolent God is not necessarily the absence of any God. So this alone doesn't add up to Atheism. Yet this person believed that Atheism was correct. I want to make clear that my atheist friend is no idiot and I respect them and their choice of religion, but I still maintain that their expressed reason for said choice is logically unsound.
    If this is not enough for you, I think I've a suitable CSL quote lurking around somewhere...

*You might well argue that if they had, at this point in time, taken the time to examine their faith, they might've then also arrived at Atheism. But A) They didn't and B) If it were for the same reason they ultimately did, then I still say the logic is unsound. You may contest "unsound" if you want, but I stand by what I've said. You asked for the reasons, you got 'em.

I understand that your skeptical leanings require you to at least see evidence for something before you believe it, but you'll learn fast that I'm no bluffer. Do you yourself really believe that no-one's reasons for Atheism (or any other -ism) are unsound? And does your Atheism so much outweigh your skepticism that it would not matter to you whether you or anyone else arrived at an Atheistic perspective through flawed logic/thinking, so long as they did, as an end, arrive at Atheism?

• Advertisement

robindch wrote:
    > There are many [...] Atheists who are Atheists for idiotic reasons and out of ignorance

Could you give us an example of some atheists who are atheistic for idiotic reasons or out of ignorance? Name or reasons would be good!
    "angstheists", usually teens
    Although I suppose they don't really count

Apparently because no God would have taken their mother like that. I asked if there were other reasons and there weren't. It was the typical (if understandable) difficulty in believing in an omnipotent benevolent God. But the absence of an omnipotent benevolent God is not necessarily the absence of any God. So this alone doesn't add up to Atheism. Yet this person believed that Atheism was correct. I want to make clear that my atheist friend is no idiot and I respect them and their choice of religion, but I still maintain that their expressed reason for said choice is logically unsound.
    That seems like a sound reason to begin. I'm sure his reasoning went beyond his own immediate situation. I'd imagine a death like that calls for a lot of reflection. The pain and suffering that exists in world today is (for me) a very big reason to believe there isn't a benevolent god watching over.

And atheism isn't 'correct' or 'incorrect' - it's simply what you believe. Your friend had no doubt been told since he was tiny about the one and only real God. When he concluded that this God could be not reconciled with the world that he now knew - why should he be anything other than atheist? Should he immediately seek a replacement god?

Once his default religion has been rejected, unless he takes up a new one atheism is what you are left with - at least as far as a benevolent god is concerned. Ultimately we are back to where we were a couple of days ago - the definition of 'god'. Your friend looks like he isn't interested in entertaining the "anything we don't understand" as god, and I can respect that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

We know that the existence of pain/evil/Westlife is in fact one of the things that exercises religions quite a bit. So the fact that a personal experience might spark someone's thoughts in a particular direction does not strike me as irrational. Not everyone will necessarily have either the habit or inclination to talk about these things in a neutral manner. But they still may have the essential thrust of a valid argument.

I know there are some theologians who have speculated that the existance of evil can best be explained by saying either god is not all good or god is not all powerful, and opt for the second as they feel the idea that the universe is subject to a morally flawed god is too uncomfortable a concept to deal with. That said (going way beyond my knowledge) I think there was some philosphy - Manicheism? - that suggested we are cast adrift in an evil, pain filled universe. That outlook probably made a lot of sense if you were living through the Black Death.

All of which is a long way round to pointing out that, as I understand it, both Christianity and Islam would maintain that god is good, just and all powerful. Hence, your friend reflecting through personal experience that this is not consistent with random death and misfortune, and surmising that this means mainstream religions are hokum looks sound to me. I don't see any particular need for him to seek out some weirdo sect that venerates pestilence just to cling to a theist conception of creation.

That seems like a sound reason to begin. I'm sure his reasoning went beyond his own immediate situation. I'd imagine a death like that calls for a lot of reflection. The pain and suffering that exists in world today is (for me) a very big reason to believe there isn't a benevolent god watching over.

Indeed - contrary to the standard quote about foxholes, a large number of those who went to the trenches in WWI as Christians came back as atheists. Many soldiers found it impossible to reconcile the inhumanity of the slaughter with the idea of a benevolent God, let alone a benevolent interventionist God.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

And atheism isn't 'correct' or 'incorrect' - it's simply what you believe.
    Well, if you look at what I said, you'll see that I phrased it as "They believed that Atheism was correct". I know full well that it's simply what one believes.
    Your friend looks like he isn't interested in entertaining the "anything we don't understand" as god, and I can respect that
    You make it sound as if that were every Agnostic's (or more believing person's) thinking. That "anything we don't understand" must be God. I suppose I shouldn't be suprised if you do seek to portray agnosticism as being so irrational. Whatever. The fact is, the world being, for us, such an 'evil' place does not rule out the possibility that some God exists, whether he be benevolent, omnipotent, pestilent, or whether he be Galactus®: The Eater Of Worlds! You just can't know.
    wrote:
    I don't see any particular need for him to seek out some weirdo sect that venerates pestilence just to cling to a theist conception of creation.
    Haha, I hadn't thought of this. And why wouldn't they, if they thought the universe was really being run by some all-powerful, evil force?
    'Clinging'. Now there's an apt word, folks. This word is essential to what I'm talking about, re: people holding certain beliefs for the wrong reasons, whether it be Theists or Atheists.

A question for you, if you don't mind: Do you still believe that you yourself have an open mind with regard to Atheism/Theism? I mean, if new evidence came to your attention that could somehow potentially change the whole ball-game, do you really believe that you yourself could face up to giving that evidence due, objective consideration, with whatever belief-shaking implications it might carry with it?
    Something to ask yourself / think about.

A question for you, if you don't mind: Do you still believe that you yourself have an open mind with regard to Atheism/Theism? I mean, if new evidence came to your attention that could somehow potentially change the whole ball-game, do you really believe that you yourself could face up to giving that evidence due, objective consideration, with whatever belief-shaking implications it might carry with it?

Not sure if your question was intended generally, but I've been an alatrist/atheist for over 30 years, and I certainly think I'm open to new evidence. Unfortunately, so far all the evidence I've been presented with requires what geologists call the "eye of faith" - you have to want to see God in it.

The recent flooding of New Orleans is an excellent example - there are plenty of people who are happy to present that as evidence of an interventionist deity...a notion that, in the absence of faith, is really rather unpleasant, as well as absurd.

It seems to me that if there were evidence for God that could be accepted without faith, there would be no unbelievers. There would also be a camera crew, documentaries, etc etc.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

You make it sound as if that were every Agnostic's (or more believing person's) thinking. That "anything we don't understand" must be God. I suppose I shouldn't be suprised if you do seek to portray agnosticism as being so irrational. Whatever. The fact is, the world being, for us, such an 'evil' place does not rule out the possibility that some God exists, whether he be benevolent, omnipotent, pestilent, or whether he be Galactus®: The Eater Of Worlds! You just can't know.
    Two things. I never deemed agnosticism as irrational - the difference between that and atheism boils down to your definition of god. I have mine - others have theirs. Secondly I haven't ruled out any type of god - I just don't believe any exist. Why should I? Just because so many people are fixated with the belief that gods exist can I not believe they don't?
    'Clinging'. Now there's an apt word, folks. This word is essential to what I'm talking about, re: people holding certain beliefs for the wrong reasons, whether it be Theists or Atheists.
    Still waiting on a "wrong reason" for atheism.
    Good question. Admittedly it would be very tough to come up with something to change the ball game, so-to-speak. The evidence would have to be good, very good. Something that couldn't be mistaken for anything other than an unequivical message. (Or possible to be done by man).

I gave an example in the Christianity forum of one day all the planets of the solar system suddenly aligning themselves, in conjection to a message delivered to every person on earth, in every language. Now that would be god-like.

Thats the kind of sign that gives somebody creator kudos. A tortilla that looks like Jesus won't cut it.

While I'm ranting, let me ask you a question. If we found out from that message that aliens planted the seeds of life on earth a billion years ago, and left us alone; are they gods?

So basically this is once again coming down to 'how irrational an atheist is', 'agnostics are the only ones with any sense' type argument. Quel surprise

Anyway I'm way above all this atheist/agnostic twaddle now I've become an ignostic. If only we could have a forum where ignostic ideas could be discussed without being attacked by closed minded agnostics ...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> I'm wondering: do you believe there are no atheists who have arrived at
    > Atheism by unsound logic?

I'm sure there are some who've done this. Perhaps even plenty!

> But the absence of an omnipotent benevolent God is not necessarily the
    > absence of any God. So this alone doesn't add up to Atheism.

No, but you'll be as familiar as I am with the huge number of people -- on this board and elsewhere -- who say that god *is* benevolent, and he's omnipotent and omniscient and all the rest. It's quite easy to see that what's described by these good people, and proclaimed by preachers from pulpits throughout the land, is imbued with a slew of heroic, but completely contradictory, qualities which verge on the schizophrenic. It's not a great step of logic to say, "nah, that's rubbish, that is!" and that's the atheism which I subscribe to.

> it would not matter to you whether you or anyone else arrived at an
    > Atheistic perspective through flawed logic/thinking, so long as they
    > did, as an end, arrive at Atheism?

I don't care whether or anybody else is an atheist or not, and if they are, I don't care how they arrived there. This is a personal issue for them and I've no interest in it one way or the other.

But it's interesting that you ask the question, because it suggests that you view atheism as a competing religion whose only interest is in gaining converts, presumably at the expense of your religion, and thereby suggesting that group-size is an important consideration to religionists. It's not like that. Actually, it was put well by a poster some months ago: "Atheism is just another religion like not-collecting stamps is just another hobby".

robindch wrote:
    But it's interesting that you ask the question, because it suggests that you view atheism as a competing religion whose only interest is in gaining converts, presumably at the expense of yours. It's not like that. Actually, it was put well by a poster some months ago: "Atheism is just another religion like not-collecting stamps is just another hobby".
    Yes - and some of those people who are not collecting stamps are not collecting stamps for very unsound reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭Schuhart

pH wrote:
    Anyway I'm way above all this atheist/agnostic twaddle now I've become an ignostic. If only we could have a forum where ignostic ideas could be discussed without being attacked by closed minded agnostics ...
    Non-Believer. Persecute the heretic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭CatStevens

abetarrush
    what about the following story:)
    This episode was about Uncle Tom and mother Lisa, who just were battling over the custody of thei little girl, Tom claiming he had to save her life 'cause her mother wants to marry another guy, her husband died, So the woman who was the Mother's Lawer went to see the little girl, and the little girl said
    I know my Mommy won't save my life Because she isn't my mother
    Because if she was my mother, she would'nt do this to me and marry another guy!
    Does it make sense?
    Who said that we are living in a perfect life? life with no problems no violence or whateva? we are not living in paradise, this life wasn't created to be perfect, why to believe in god life must be perfect yet god couldn't be perfect when created an imperfect life? :)
    Peace & Love
    Yours Sincerely
    CatStevens

Advertisement