Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much? - fixing dents on alloy wheels

Options
  • 27-06-2006 7:43pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭

When i bought the car the two front alloys were slighly dented and scraped. dont really care about the scrapes though

Here's one of them:
    dsc001083ov.jpg
    This is the worst of the two, the other one you can't really see it in a picture its so mild but this one annoys me

On a side note this one almost instantly deflated going at about 80/90km on the limerick road on friday (my guess is its a faulty valve which just by checking it, it fell inside the tyre - which you can see in the picture)

So while im getting the puncture fixed i might aswell see about getting it straightened also, and make sure its safe to use

Anyone have an idea how much straightening alloys costs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Can you straighten alloys? I would have thought you'd need new ones.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Can you straighten alloys? I would have thought you'd need new ones.

You can get alloys straightened/fixed

http://www.daltontyres.ie/alloyrepairs.asp
    At Dalton Tyres and Alloy Wheels, we are experts at repairing damaged alloys, please [EMAIL="info@daltontyres.ie?subject=Information%20Request%20Alooy%20Wheel%20Repair"]contact us[/EMAIL] for more details. We can also arrange to collect your damaged alloy wheel from you and have it delivered once the damage to your alloy wheel has been repaired. Call us for more information
    Dalton Tyres, Clonmel Road, Cahir,Co Tipperary,

Looks like they cut out the piece and reweld it. Which would be ok. Heating and bending seems iffy. I've heard of getting them skimmed and also refinished before.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,083 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

hmmm they look wrecked, no wonder the wheel deflated, car is hardly handling too well, personally id change them

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭dogg_r_69

I got 2 fixed last year from a fella in West Cork. One had a bolt driven up through the middle of it. Had been driving along the road, heard a bang an found a bolt stuck in it. The other was from a pot hole I presume. Was a fair old dent The tyre didn't hold air anyway. he fixed them for €60 a wheell as far as I can remember

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

I just got quoted at €200

€50 to straighten each wheel and €50 each for new 195/50 R15 tyres. That seem a good price for the tyres?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sounds good. Those wheels are in proper sh1te condition.

I now have a problem.

I was told today that one of the wheels broke as they were fixing it and i am being told to buy a new one. WTF! from that i deduce that is they went hammering one of the alloys

The excuse i am given is that the wheel was straightened before and thats why it broke. I know thats bull, but i wouldn't mind some advice on where i stand?

Thanks.

Also can anyone identify which DEZENT Model this is:

dsc001819tt.th.jpg dsc001807rd.th.jpg

Thats the problem with bending alloys.

Why buy a car with such bad alloys? :confused:

Thats the problem with bending alloys.

Why buy a car with such bad alloys? :confused:

I don't know of anyone who has Professionaly broken an alloy while repairing them, you shouldnt even have to worry about breaking one while you work on it

This is how one should repair an alloy:
    http://www.daltontyres.ie/alloyrepairs.asp

under no cicumstance are you to hammer an alloy back into shape, which im sure is what they did?

And to answer your question the car was cheap and i didnt care about what alloys were underneath it, beside only one of them was noticably damaged, from a few feet away you cant see any damage at all, as the pics above show. if you look very carefully at the front one you can barely see it

Can anyone help identify which DEZENT model they are and if they are still available, if the worst comes to worst and i have to buy a new one, they couldnt cost more than €100 each anyway

• Advertisement

Dadly damaged alloys/wheels would have me wondering about the susupension, steering etc.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Dadly damaged alloys/wheels would have me wondering about the susupension, steering etc.

Defo - that wheel is not "slightly damaged" it's proper fu*ked, how is the tracking on the car?
    is it driving straight / braking straight?
    Is there any vibrations in the wheel when getting a bit of speed up?.

And I would get the other alloys checked out too - they mightn't look damaged from a quick look but they could be buckled - the one in the pic is defo buckled.

As for breaking your wheel - are you sure it was not fixed before?
    did they say that they might not be able to fix it or they might break it?
    if not you may have a case for getting them to fork out for a new wheel

Well its all sorted now:

dsc001308gl.th.jpg dsc001319pk.th.jpg

Advertisement