Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting365 BB

Options
  • 27-06-2006 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/business/2006/0627/hosting365.html

Internet infrastructure company hosting365 and partners Azotel and Motorola today announced a new initiative for entrepreneurs to extend broadband reach in Ireland.

The solution, branded Azotel, enables wireless internet service providers to deliver broadband from as low as 30 users to several thousands of users.

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Lets hope his H365 broadband works better than the one they were going to offer years back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The voice of Azotel on the radio today was none other than John O Hare from Amocom , one remembers him fondly around these parts justifying Amocoms sky high prices on occasions over the past few years

Hopefully his franchise scheme is better value for money :p Basically its a GBS in a box you can buy from Azotel/Amocom/Hosting365 ...whatever.

I can never follow what the hell O Hare is at. He has 4 Websites in 'different' bits of Cork with 'different ' names .

There is Azotel . Its customers are Amocom Airwave and AHC and with different bosses it seems . All begin with A and are in Cork but can anyone see any other glaring similarities ???

I'll sell him airminger.com and anyoulname.com and the estimable arrayerraGOwan.com if he send me a polite PM with an offer ....OK ?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

azotel.com. A IN 21600 217.74.49.75
    inetnum: 217.74.48.0 - 217.74.51.255
    netname: CORKBIC-PUBLIC
    descr: Cork BIC at the National Software Centre Ireland

amocom.com. A IN 86400 217.74.49.51
    inetnum: 217.74.48.0 - 217.74.51.255
    netname: CORKBIC-PUBLIC
    descr: Cork BIC at the National Software Centre Ireland

airwaveinternet.net. A IN 298 81.17.248.4
    inetnum: 81.17.248.0 - 81.17.249.255
    netname: IE-BLACKNIGHT-SHARED-WINDOWS

ahcnetworks.com. A IN 3600 212.69.204.174
    inetnum: 212.69.192.0 - 212.69.207.255
    netname: DSVR-TELECITY1
    descr: Hosting network at TeleCity Manchester

very curious.
    damien.m wrote:
    Lets hope his H365 broadband works better than the one they were going to offer years back.

Doesn't ring a bell, do tell???

John

Looks like the first 2 are the same operation and the other 2 are franchisees . The plan appears to be more of same. The 4 sites are almost identical.

H365 BB rings no bells in here either. I hope nobody is accusing them of peddling Vapourware :D

http://www.register365.ie/services_broadband.php

There was big talk of it a few years back, they were reselling someone elses product. The great DeVore even talked about Boards.ie doing the same. Another failed master plan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I'm fairly sure they did a bitstream reseller stint. I never heard anything bad about it or indeed much anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

The solution is a combination of back-end management systems and software, backhaul links, IP transit, hardware (network and cpe), financing (from BOI) and additional services, that allow any small business / entrepreneur to establish a WISP without all the usual pains that come with it.

It is available in a franchise or ASP model for existing wisps, and anyone interested can drop in to us here for a chat about what it does and how it works. Equally, I'm happy to answer any questions here.

To add, there is some information here: http://www.hosting365.com/solutions-wisp.php

Not the worst idea ye ever came up with Steve. Ye should regional roadshow ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

Things that would be of concern to me off the top of my head (in no particular order of importance)

Backhaul or lack thereof...If I want to set up a wisp in balldenobackhaul am I snookered?

Franchise cost, rate of return, yearly/monthly percentage or static charges

Length of franchise contract

Setup costs

Buyout costs

Exclusivity / overlaps

RF licences

Masts

BoI (just on general principles)

I assume you have some models worked out for the franchise.

This probably isn’t the best venue for this so I’ll sit down and compose a more reasoned list of questions and PM you if that’s all right?

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

I sent them a message earlier today along similar lines, be interested to know the costings of this etc ... and whether it is financially viable for rural areas or a bit pie in the sky ... but i'm not knocking it ...its another potential..so we will wait and see

Hi Sponge Bob - yes, we've a raft planned - Cork in 2 weeks, Limerick 2 after that, etc, etc. Just had the Dublin one last night. More will be on the website asap.

On the specifics, its a 5k 'buy in' which includes the Azotel WIB client device and all set-ups. Thereafter its a small percentage of gross revenue (single digits). Contract lengths are flexible, and the system can also be supplied in a simple ASP model.

The motorola canopy gear is specifically designed for unlicensed bands, so no licenses required for spectrum.

Masts, high sites, winning and installing customers are all down to the local wisp (with our help of course).

What we so is take the pain out of, and professionalise, the networks, provisioning, backhaul, crm system, cash collection, marketing, 24/7 support, monitoring, etc, etc.

Basically, a local wisp, with a national reach.

I wonder if the wireless broadband industry really needs more service providers with little or no experience. The established players with significant RF skills can often not get it right and they're usually operating in the licensed bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Canopy gear is well made but has very poor spectrum efficency. It isn't specifically designed for "unlicensed" but for
    low density rural deployment on licenced and unlicenced bands.

Just for anyone interested, we have on 11th July next, a roadshow in Cork, followed by Limerick two weeks later.

If anyone would like an invitation and/or information pack, pm or email me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

5K initial costs is just for software & software setup, right? There's no on-site visits, or physical equipment, or consultancy included in that, is there? If it's 5K for software, then thas seems expensive for your entry level of a 30-user community.

5k includes business manual, contracts, collateral, website, software, azotel WIB client (physical device) and all set-ups, including initital onsite meetings and survey. It's basically a figure set to show intent.

The only other thing you need to buy is the wireless access network hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Perhaps I'll better appreciate it when ye get the 1st customer / case study.

There are already a few customers running on the system (3 in fact), and we're more than happy to give one on one demo's / meetings to discuss the full features.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

whereabouts are these customers located ? would be interested to find out more from them

Drop me a pm Robxxx7 and I can organise to send you out an info pack, with case studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

The solution is a combination of back-end management systems and software, backhaul links, IP transit, hardware (network and cpe), financing (from BOI) and additional services, that allow any small business / entrepreneur to establish a WISP without all the usual pains that come with it.

It is available in a franchise or ASP model for existing wisps, and anyone interested can drop in to us here for a chat about what it does and how it works. Equally, I'm happy to answer any questions here.

Good initiative and I can only applaude it.
    However shame that you have decided to use Motorola Canopy hardware for it...

E.

Any particular reason mayhem# ?

Blaster99 wrote:
    I wonder if the wireless broadband industry really needs more service providers with little or no experience. The established players with significant RF skills can often not get it right and they're usually operating in the licensed bands.

Who are you referring to?

E.

Any particular reason mayhem# ?

Nothing other than what has already been mentioned above.
    While Motorola's canopy hardware is easy to setup for companies with little or no experience as a WISP it also is prone to cause channel interference.
    A proliferation of Canopy hardware will just clog up the spectrum and make life harder for any other companies using the same frequencies. In the end no-one benefits from that.

E.

mayhem# wrote:
    Who are you referring to?

E.

All of them.

Blaster99 wrote:
    All of them.

I think that the problem with most WISP's in this country is not the level of their RF skills but it seems to be more due to the business/sales planning.
    Most POP's are hopelessly oversold on capacity as well as coverage. The concept of high capacity micro-cells seems to be something that is alien to these companies....

E.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

Isn't it a tad naughty to use..
    Ireland off line's DSL coverage map without source credit and in such a way as to imply that it represents MAN network coverage
    http://www.hosting365.com/solutions-wisp-backhaul.php

Or perhaps this WISP in a box solution advocates using contended DSL as 'wholesale' backhaul?

.brendan

• Advertisement

Hmmm.

Advertisement