Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to...

Options
  • 27-06-2006 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

download anime other than limewire

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

japan

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

google.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Frelance

torrents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Frelance wrote:
    torrents.

omgban

Mordeth wrote:
    omgban
    r u a hacer?1!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Graki_Khan

Yeah, torrents are your best and quickest bet.

I use azureus - the bittorrent program- its free.

then my usual spots are;

thejollyroger.org they're a fan sub group that sub unusual good stuff.:D

www.boxtorrents.com - they're good for dloading whole completed series but have a lotta manga (and the occasional art book), films, OVA's and OSTs.

Animesuki.com are good for dloading anime by the episode.... like as its released. They take down any anime once its licenced to a western company for distribution. So if you're iffy about dloadin anime cause you think its stealing - then go to this site, cause you aren't hurtin anyone.

So yeah, never mind what mordeth said and work away.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

haxsploitation:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

zOMG H4X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 CrimsonRaven

EDIT : Links to licensed anime are not permitted.

First warning in the thread.

EDIT : Links to licensed anime are not permitted.

First warning in the thread.

Sorry - didnt know the rule.

But anyway. Theres a lotta unlicenced anime out there thats really good so what to do then? Why not dload it, watch it and show your friends. Geta bigger fanbase for that anime. Surely thats helping everyone.

As for dloading anime in general, licenced or not - i dont see that much of a problem and I'd like to think that my morals are ok.

People in japan get to watch all the anime on TV for free. And we have to pay rediculous money just to check somethin out simply because of geography - that seems stupid. Some really good anime series even get shown on TV here but it aint subbed, so if you want to watch stuff for free craply dubbed its ok but to watch the same thing for free in its origional state is wrong? You must pay?

Plus anime in general is good - There are a good few gems in terms of series that simply MUST BE SEEN, but there also is a huge lump of turd in terms of series. Why not have the choice to check somethin out first, before you buy it? Save your money and support for the actual good animation companies that deserve it? instead of buying anything that has a supposidly "japanimation lookin character on the front"? *sigh*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

The Japanese don't get to watch it for free. The TV networks are very regional, and the subsrciption anime channels aren't always available nationally either.

So while the kids in Tokyo have a good chance of having everything available, as you move further away from the big cities and main islands you stop getting access to it.

AFAIK TV Tokyo, one of the stations familiar to western anime fans, is not available outside the Kanto region (the chunk of Japan around Tokyo) in anything except a limited capacity. So you don't get to see any of that anime if you live in Hokkaido for example.

You do get a limited amount of anime being shown simultaneously on differnet stations, but this is the exception rather than the rule, and strictly mainstream titles.

You like all the cool mature audience anime on Animax? Well move to a city where its available and pay the subsription fee and buy your self a DVR.

If you don't have any of those options, get used to paying 15€ /episode on DVD. Or get yourself broadband and on one of those super-stealthy japanese p2p networks.

The japanese pay big bucks for anime. Way more than us.

sharingan wrote:
    The japanese pay big bucks for anime. Way more than us.

This is the truth, the only rationale for not buying licesnsed anime is that you're too much of a cheapskate.

Watching anime is an expensive interest, mostly for the reason that is is so good and it's animated. It's not cheap to make good anime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭[QJ]Serideth

download anime other than limewire
    Get a job and buy it, I'm getting tiard of reading threads with snot faced kids who first off don't buy their anime, and then are too lazey to look for it on the web so they ask others.

Get a job and buy it, I'm getting tiard of reading threads with snot faced kids who first off don't buy their anime, and then are too lazey to look for it on the web so they ask others.

Well I did think that the point of a board was to discuss things and not everyone is born with the knowledge of where everything is at. The only way to learn stuff is by asking.

I'm not too cheap to buy my anime. I buy it when its worth buying. I disagree with spending a load of dosh on rubbish, which is what a lot of anime DVDs end up being if you go buying DVDs blindly.

And if you're tired of all these threads asking stuff. Just dont click on them! In actuality, this turns out to be even easier than reading something and complaining because it does exactly what it says on the tin.
    And to be honest, I think that if you took out the threads asking stuff, the Anime/Manga section would be a HELL OF A LOT quieter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭[QJ]Serideth

Graki_Khan wrote:
    Well I did think that the point of a board was to discuss things and not everyone is born with the knowledge of where everything is at. The only way to learn stuff is by asking.
    Asking for help on some things is fine, asking for help on something a simple google search could find is bad, asking for help on getting something for free that you should have to pay for is selfish and shouldn't be done.
    Or are you saying we should encourage people to pirate?
    I'm not too cheap to buy my anime. I buy it when its worth buying. I disagree with spending a load of dosh on rubbish, which is what a lot of anime DVDs end up being if you go buying DVDs blindly.
    I'll agree that spending dosh blindly is rubbish, but belive it or not you can read reviews on things and see trailors... not very hard.
    And if you're tired of all these threads asking stuff. Just dont click on them! In actuality, this turns out to be even easier than reading something and complaining because it does exactly what it says on the tin.
    This thread is called "where to..." now I don't know about you, but I can make thousands of thread titles with that, people should have the decensy to at least add I [Download?] tag.
    And to be honest, I think that if you took out the threads asking stuff, the Anime/Manga section would be a HELL OF A LOT quieter!
    So, you would rather have a whole load of kids helping each other to get free media they should be paying for so the place is noisy? Wow, how stupid. (no offence)

Graki_Khan wrote:

No. Research is a far better form of learning. This 'tell me the basics - I am too lazy to read FAQs, stickies or google search results' attitude pisses me off too. You are not looking for education - you are looking to steal stuff and you are too lazy to find your own solutions - you are being very blatant about it. You have raised the hackles of many posters here and some admins by daring to imply that you are even entitled to have your request honoured.

The rules are stated here: no linking or directing users to licensed p2p content. If you don't like those rules, go somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Anime can occansionally be difficult to get into - going out and buying a dvd to find you have just paid 35 euro for an hours worth of 'ok' anime.. it can be demoralising.

If you are new to anime then do check out some of the stuff being released over in japan currently via fansubbers. This is ok mainly cause it boosts the publicity of the anime helping the company sell off licenses to other companys to produce the anime. Once it gets to this stage you should be supporting the company if you enjoy the anime.

If you want to 'check out' to see if a licensed anime is worth buying then sharingan is totally right - check out reviews, look at some of the trailers. After watching some unlicensed fansubs you should hopefully have picked up on what you like to see in an anime and you can then apply this to whatever your considering be it genre, animation or even director.

The simple fact is that there is so much fan chatter out there about various series. Every forum has some kind of recommendations thread. There are multiple anime portals and databases out there, and their recommendations sections, either compiled by staff/reviewers, or voted on by reviewers nearly always result in an agreeable list of recommendations. Personal preference is all that stands in between you and enjoying the titles listed.

A simple google +<anime title> is going to get commentary on virtually anything you spotted in shops, usually in the first hits.

There are also trade magasines who sometimes have reviews of titles. And even magasines that have dedicated anime review sections.

You have to deliberately ignore the entire anime fandom to be duped into buying rubbish for 35€.

In fact who makes 35€ impulse purchases now? Thats not demoralising, thats a stupidity tax.

Scratching my head as to when was the last time I spent 35€ on a single DVD release - the Jin Roh Special edition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 prannigan

It's like this new trend of internet phones. That's not the point of the internet. Like you say it's bad enough that some IDIOTS think it's okay to talk and ask questions on a forum, never mind talking WITH THEIR VOICE!

The best system would be for everyone to put everything they'll ever potentially tell someone on the net and let them just search for it and find it. That way nobody would ever have to interact with anyone ever again.

You're a top banana, shari. Top quality tadipoles.

sharingan wrote:
    Scratching my head as to when was the last time I spent 35€ on a single DVD release - the Jin Roh Special edition?

Funny you should mention Jin Roh. I bought it too, having watched the trailer it looked like an action flick, what with the soldiers with their badass uniforms and the riots...... watched it and was yet again duped into buying some wrongly advertised anime.

So no - i dont trust trailers, i dont like reading reviews from magazines, because guess what? they're paid to say that EVERYTHINGS GREAT! And yes I have mostly ignored irish anime fandom because for the most part, they have no taste - because they haven't seen enough! They're just in it for some elietest fad thing. eg. "How many mangas' have you seen? I've seen 60 whole mangas!" I'm not a DBZ, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach or CLAMP head and I don't like the same ol poo. So yeah, I only trust one person in the world to recomend me anime so, lots of checking stuff out for myself.

All it takes is dloading a load of first eps. I's spend probably 5 mins watching the crap, the potential but not that good seeming would maybe take the 1st and 2nd ep to determine it's poo factor (Eureka Seven :D ) The other series I'll dload the whole thing, watch the whole thing and pass it on to my mates so that they can get into it. Hence spreading the knowledge of good anime and creating a fanbase for it aswell as buying the box set when it comes out (for special features and what not).

I am not cheap. I've spend rediculous money on the fandom of a few worthy series'. All I want is the quality thats associated with spending that much money.

So no **** anime for me thanks.

• Advertisement

Graki_Khan wrote:
    Funny you should mention Jin Roh. I bought it too, having watched the trailer it looked like an action flick, what with the soldiers with their badass uniforms and the riots...... watched it and was yet again duped into buying some wrongly advertised anime.

If you got duped its your own fault. Buying stuff on the basis of a trailer? How lame is that? The first review I found for Jin-Roh called it accurately: a political thriller overlaid with a fairy tale. Hell, the bandai trailer I saw had enough wierdness in it to imply that it wasn't a by-the-numbers action flick. But when I knew that Oshii was involved that it wasn't going to be a straightforward anime in the first place (this is the guy behind Angels Egg after all).
    Graki_Khan wrote:
    So no - i dont trust trailers, i dont like reading reviews from magazines, because guess what? they're paid to say that EVERYTHINGS GREAT!

*sigh* no they are not. Its easy to see which are independent and which are pimping the sponsors line. I know Neo for instance has panned titles on occasion (often unfairly). They are quite independent. Its easy to spot the industry panderers by how much of their review scale they use - if they are not using the bottom half of their score then they are sucking cock.

Theres also plenty of online review sources, some of them are even good.
    Andrew Shelton: http://amr.nextstudio.net, probably one of the best and his review index is huge, expecially for older titles. However he has fallen out of date with recent material and he is practically retired from the scene.

Them Anime: http://www.themanime.org/ aren't bad, their opinions are certainly their own, and there are many cases of sloppy or highly non-objective reviewing (I wish you could search for reviews by the person who did it).

Anime Jump!: http://www.animejump.com aren't bad either, but I find myself not using them much.

Theres also about 10 billion blogs out there which track anime, many of the commentaries there are pretty good - you have to find somebody who likes the same stuff as you though for best effect.

Hop Step Jump: http://anime.jefflawson.net - probably the best, and I like his new summary format, rather than the spoilerific per-episode summary that most other bloggers favour.

Cinnamon Ass: www.ass-no-ryu.com/animeblog/ - I don't often agree with him, but his commentaries and the championing of overlooked series (like Fantastic Children & Jyu Oh Sei) is bang on.

Theres also the various commentaries on animenfo.com, animenewsnetwork.com and the reader activity on the larger forums.
    Graki_Khan wrote:
    And yes I have mostly ignored irish anime fandom because for the most part,

I would say you are ignoring worldwide fandom too. If I encounter a title that I am unfamiliar with, I can find opinions of it within 5 minutes. I am never duped, but there are some titles I own that are unexceptional, but it was still an informed decision.

The fact that you are asking here about where to download stuff, and arguing that you should be entitled to answers, shows that your worldwide fandom exposure is minimal at best. You don't spend long as an anime fan without finding out where to get it. There are loads of forums that will tell you, but this isn't one of them. You will find that the pro-leeching forums are loaded with ignorant leechers and nothing else - fine to visit to learn where all the sites are, and then leave. The proper discussion gravitates to more ethically founded forums, where direct linking is a no-no. People with a proper attitude will usually be informed privately where to go, if asked nicely. But whining leechers are left wanting.
    Graki_Khan wrote:
    they have no taste - because they haven't seen enough!

And neither have you. Some of the most informed anime fans I know are irish, or at least permanently resident here. I know people who are on first name terms with fansubbers, or who have seen every Gundam series made and also what the recommended watching order is, I know people who have seen the early Matsumoto stuff (criminally underfansubbed) and even some of the really old classics like Tomorrow's Joe. I know Irish fans who mix in their popular anime stuff like Bleach, Naruto, Haruhi, Elfen Lied with the obscure stuff thats hard to find, and hard to find fans of to talk about, like Windy Tales, Overman King Gainer, Zipang etc.

The irish fanbase is young, anime hasn't been a big thing here until recently. Personally I have only been a big fan of anime for 3 years - before that I would have been familiar with only some of the basics. THough I think my exposure today would rival any of the worlds hardcore fans nowadays.
    Graki_Khan wrote:
    They're just in it for some elietest fad thing.

Pot, Kettle, Black? You are the one who would avoid an anime because its popular:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=51673148&postcount=14

Thats probably the most damning characteristic of elitist fans.

Graki_Khan wrote:
    I am not cheap. I've spend rediculous money on the fandom of a few worthy series'. All I want is the quality thats associated with spending that much money.

This is a completely independent topic to this one (where to download anime). If you want to figure out whats good to watch or worth buying you will find huge topics dedicated to it on the top forums. You will find the same series topping various user-voted recommendation sites.

You rarely get a good impression of a series from the first few episodes. Great anime doesn't always start out that way, and many shows have great initial episodes before they descend into mediocrity. You have to watch it all to know if it is really good or not, or rely on the opinion of someone who has. So downloading initial episodes still isn't a valid way to determine whether to purchase something or not.

Or the easiest way - find people who like the same stuff as you. This isn't going to happen if you are overwhelmingly negative about anything based on little more than a snap judgement, or where you light up forums with incendary threads demanding that you are entitled to piracy information.

Sure - most fans, even the ethical ones who actually buy anime and manga are also downloading and sharing fansubs and R1-rips. But we don't talk about this on the forums where we come to discuss anime, or link to the results. These forums get indexed by search engines and will be found in any crack down. It will create trouble for the admins and result in the places we come to engage in community anime fandom being shut down, and this will break up communities.

So the issue isn't even about fansub/purchasing ethics, its about being an ass on a forum and going against its rules.

Ah here, just to start, calling me an ass for unknowingly breaking the rule once, appologising and never doing it again, but more so for having different oppinions of which I have oppressed on none of you, I think is a bit much. That said, lets deal with the main bulk of your reply.

Being duped is my own fault. True. Which is why I dload anime and check it out for myself instead of believing misleading trailers and reviews. I could go and buy all of these magazines and cross reference which have accurate reviews and which are just a load of bull. And then go to these sites which have acurate yet sometimes conflicting reviews and then dload the trailers and see which look dodgy and which dont and then read all of these blogs and and see which of their tastes synch with mine and then go out and buy the DVD of whatever and probably have the whole plot spoiled on me from reading that much about the series and still not like it.

Why? Because reviews and trailers and everything is for the masses. People have different oppinions and I very much dislike wasting time and money. In the other thread that you linked, I said I didn't like popular series such as DBZ etc. I never said that I didn't like them because they were popular. They just happened to be popular, and I just happen to not like them very much. Hence I am a squeeky clean pot.

Its more time effecient, I find to do my process of selecting anime and it hasn't let me down yet. I buy the anime when it comes out and usually a lot of merchandice. Even if I see a few eps of a series that I haven't bothered to watch all of cause I didn't like it, I'd usually end up buying the art book. (The character design is a big thing in my selection of series). If a product can't sell itself in its first episode, its a poor product. Fact. I think that if companies could air to everyone across the world for free their first episode of their series, they'd be f*cking idiots not to take it! Thats like 25 mins of non stop advertising! Newtype USA used to give away a free DVD. A chapter of manga.

I think what I'm doing is a better form of advertising cause if I had to do what you do to select a series to buy, I wouldnt be bothered and I don't think that many people would be. I'd just give up watching anime and if you think that that's a good thing, well then you're more a fan of the law than of anime.

Anime conventions show fansubs. Do you plan on supporting them, and their "immoral" ways?

I haven't ignored world fandom of anime. I used to be a decent part of Anime-England as I couldn't find anyone in Ireland that was that big into anime, and there where a few irish people with A-Eng anyways, like Art Wolf. Why did I post here? Because this is my countrys fandom of anime and look at it. Theres only a hand full of posters. I wanted to improve the numbers but with such rigidity of oppinion, I see why there are such few posters. They're not allowed talk about the really new series cause then they'd be witch hunted for breaking the taboo of torrent usage.

I do believe that I have been quite plesant to all of you unless I have been directly attacked, which I have been several times. I'm not a bad person and I did actually enjoy talkin with Shari briefly cause its been a long time since I've been really able to talk to an Irish person about anime. But now I do feel quite unwelcome here. Yippie you say, yippie I say cause I probably wont post here anymore but unfortunately for the both of us, you can notch anime fandom on the list of things that England are better than Ireland at.

aaaaand now, I do believe that I'll take the final word.
    Good day to you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭GK¦ Ixion²

Ah noo dont leave. I forbid it+ i agree with you:D
    And sharingan, although ur views might be valid, i dont think u should assume u have some sort of moral highground or a justified reason to call graki an ass because his methods of eventually BUYING anime are a somewhat less legitamate than yours.Or because of a rule he broke and then immediately apologised for. Because i havent seen any evidence of his supposed
    "being an ass".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Must agree with GK¦ Ixion², give us a second chance Graki_Khan - we all like a little debate :D

We are all into the anime scene here and know whats acceptable and not and what helps and the entire thread I think agrees in principle that they are helping the anime group in Ireland in their way. Think that really ends this topic..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Graki_Khan wrote:
    They're not allowed talk about the really new series cause then they'd be witch hunted for breaking the taboo of torrent usage.

Well no that's not true at all. There's nothing stopping discussion of a series and the rule about torrents is you can't discuss downloading licensed anime.

Graki_Khan wrote:
    Ah here, just to start, calling me an ass for unknowingly breaking the rule once, appologising and never doing it again, but more so for having different oppinions of which I have oppressed on none of you, I think is a bit much.

Actually you:
    1) Broke the rules for linking to download site
    2) Got informed that it was against the rules
    3) Went into a massive pro-downloading drum beating session, trying to justify your downloading arguments, didn't remove the link to that site (probably the biggest anime piracy site out there), demanded that you had a right to know anyway and other kinds of bleating soapboxing.

Its point 3 that I take offense to. I missed the 'apology' that you claim to have made in among all the pro-downloading ranting.

In any anime forum that has an ethical policy on anime downloading (basically don't link or get us in trouble), you will find that most of the forum users take offence to people preaching pro-piracy in such an in-your-face manner. The reaction you got here would be mirrored on any large and/or ethical fan community.

Most anime fans into proper discussion don't like to see the places they go to talk about anime turn into DL linkfests, or get overrun by leeching tards looking for DDL for the latest release of whatever.

Its not like DL sites are rare, and that sites with a policy against link sharing are obliged to list whatever would turn up a google search for the same thing.

I think you totally missed the point I was trying to make. I attacked your 'ethical' position on downloading anime to 'try it out' prior to buying as a matter of course. I sometimes buy anime that I have seen on fansub (more than most people), but I have never viewed fansubs or any other download format as an advanced kind of evaluation copy or commercial alternative.

By the time DVDs are available, I know enough from select fandom sources
    a) whether I will like it.
    b) whether I will buy it (price/wallet/availability permitting)

The first hand knowledge I have about Zero no Tsukaima didn't come from any J-TV that I cannot subscribe to, or any japanese DVDs for it that aren't released yet.

I participate in fansubs because my anime 'scene' is firmly set in japanese time. Also many of the shows I am interested in simply don't get licensed. Whatever reasons I justify that to myself, I don't share publicly -
    a) it creates trouble for mods & sites (these posts are indexed by search engines and are available to men-in-black)
    b) it causes flame wars on forums
    c) it offends people who choose to legally consume anime (and have-nots who cannot afford to download)
    d) it invites leeching tards to forums like flies to sh1t (through search referrals and the like)

While I have attacked the hypocrisy of some of your pro-download justifications, the main reason for my response is the fact that you were unapologetically breaking rules, advocating pro-download in the first place and arguing that you somehow had an ethical right to 'share download knowledge'
    Graki_Khan wrote:
    I haven't ignored world fandom of anime. I used to be a decent part of Anime-England as I couldn't find anyone in Ireland that was that big into anime, and there where a few irish people with A-Eng anyways, like Art Wolf. Why did I post here? Because this is my countrys fandom of anime and look at it. Theres only a hand full of posters. I wanted to improve the numbers but with such rigidity of oppinion, I see why there are such few posters.

There are some opinions which universally cause offense. The fact that boards.ie has a small post count with limited viewing is a symptom of the fact that the irish community is very small, and a commercial offshoot of the UK market and last but not least, that more of the hardcore irish fans have moved onto different irish anime forums and some english ones.

I don't get much out of boards.ie as information goes, beyond getting a feel for what a segment of the irish fans are up to. I have seen a lot more stuff and I try to give back in some ways, give informed posts to new fans or whatever.
    Graki_Khan wrote:
    They're not allowed talk about the really new series cause then they'd be witch hunted for breaking the taboo of torrent usage.

Don't make up stuff. You are not being challenged here for talking fansubs or whatever. You are being challenged for troll-worthy, unrepentant, rulebreaking and pro-download evangelizing.

Frankly the response you got here was benign. Some of the forums I frequent would result in thread-lock, ban Graki_Khan, moderator edited posts and even full thread deletion. If you want to participate in other irish anime forums keep it in mind - they are more aggressive about policing them.

Dear god sharingan, leave him alone!!
    He did actually apologise in case u missed it(i didnt).
    And as far as taking OFFENCE:rolleyes: to Graki putting a link that was against the rules(which he did apologise for), id really hate to see someone truly try to offend u. For fear of ur reaction.
    He(in my eyes anyway) has simply stated his method of purchasing anime and defended the fact that hes not an immoral being for doing so. Putting it as evangelizing illegal DLing i think is a strech at best.
    As far as his DLing of anime goes, i think its a subject best left for people other than urself to judge him upon. Its not that im condoning illegal DLing but as long as he doesnt talk openly about it here, creating problems for mods and so on, then its fair game IMO.

He did actually apologise in case u missed it(i didnt).

Was good of him to delete the links then wasn't it?
    And as far as taking OFFENCE:rolleyes:

I spent a good bit of time explaining exactly why I was offended:
    his self-righteous indignation after he was called up on the offense, suggesting he was entitled to the link anyway.
    As far as his DLing of anime goes, i think its a subject best left for people other than urself to judge him upon.

My point is that he should keep his downloading 'ethics' to himself, and not preach that he is in some way ethically entitled to download. That argument in itself is offensive and tiresome.

People download because its free and convenient. Whatever self-justification should be kept to themselves. Or just spout it out of site on the 10 billion leeching forums out there where we don't have to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

he hasent loged on since that :(

• Advertisement

awhir wrote:
    he hasent loged on since that :(
    I have to say , i honestly dont blame him:rolleyes:

Advertisement