Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IT Student

• 27-06-2006 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello, I have tried to finish my leaving cert, but i drop it in 5th year. Now im going to NDP (YouthReach) Im gonna finish the course there and get the cert that i finished the school. Also I will get ECDL cert and I already have Linux Systems Adminustrator cert. What should i do next to find a job something with computers? Can I find a good job with NDP cert?

P.S. Sorry for my bad english and sorry if you think that it's the wrong place to post this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

theres lots of jobs for Linux System Admins but most need a Computer Science degree

• Registered Users Posts: 16 md5

Jakkass wrote:
    theres lots of jobs for Linux System Admins but most need a Computer Science degree

Ok, but if i will finish NDP and after that i will get some courses. I will get some certs, will it be possible to find a job? And how much do you get per week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

to be honest without a degree you really would have to start in tech support....

i persume from your message you speak another language ? money isn't bad in tech support if you speak more than just english...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Depends on the company. You won't get into the larger companies but the small - medium sized companies you have a shot. You need to apply to them directly (and find them youself).

Life would be easier if you had a degree which is 4 years away! Failing that moving from tech support and onwards is your best bet.

Well i speak Lithuanian and Russian(not perfectly) I'm just scared of that school, that i will finish it nad I couldn't find a job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

once you finish school well you can do almost any course in University, whats there to be scared of :)

Jakkass wrote:
    once you finish school well you can do almost any course in University, whats there to be scared of :)

I have only two years for studying. One for VITEC(like leaving cert) and one for IT courses. What can I do best in two years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

The best thing ye can do is to go back and finish your leaving cert even if it is at night. It will always stand to you in your future and not having one will always hinder you in the future whether you realise it or not.

PDD

PDD wrote:
    The best thing ye can do is to go back and finish your leaving cert even if it is at night. It will always stand to you in your future and not having one will always hinder you in the future whether you realise it or not.

PDD

That's no problem wth that. Next year i will have it. But what should i do next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

I would say get some experience in Tech Support as it something you can easily get into but a majority of it is Windows based (I dunno how good your windoze skills are) plus the experience of working in support and dealing with customers is very benfical.

A smart option would be to do tech support for one of the ISP's as they allow flexible part-time hours over the summer and holidays you can do full time hours but when you studying you can do like 20 hours and it could be evenings etc. A mate of mine did this and it worked out really well for him but he was very disciplined.

The other thing I would suggest is that you make a point of concentrating on improving your English. This will be very necessary for support, which is what your sort of constrained in doing without a degree. This can be alot simplier than you would think, make sure you only listen to TV programs in English (for like 90% of the time). If you have friends who are Irish make a point of hanging around with them and having discussions so that your made to speak more english and let them know you want to improve your english so they can correct you so you can learn. Its important that you get used to listening and talking to native english speakers so that you pickup correct English.

• Advertisement
Advertisement