Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandyford 25 floor,s high

Options
  • 27-06-2006 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I am starting this thread just to see if many people know about the new development that is in for planning in sandyford beside the beacon hotel
    9 block,s of apartment,s the smallest being 2 floors high and the biggest being 25 floor,s high if you know anything about this can you please let us know because a lot of people are not very happy :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm glad someone is pushing high-rise, but it's a pity they're not starting in the city centre. This'll just be a big thumb sticking out of the landscape like the Ballymun flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Story is starting price is 500k for a studio apartment with no parking if they go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Any link on this? If it's done well I'm all for it. About time it seems too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye it was only a matter of time before this sorta stuff happened. isnt there a development beside heuston station thats gonna be quite tall too?

Funkstard wrote:
    Any link on this? If it's done well I'm all for it. About time it seems too.

You might be but i am not into it its on my doorstep and in the summer i will
    have a shadow over my house until 11 in the morning :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

If we had done high rise in the first place, there would be double the office space and treble the accomodation in the city.

Two thumbs up! Hopefully the begining of Dublin embracing the fact it's a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

about frigging time, serioulsy they should have built up a long time ago. its ridicoulous the amount of whingers we have in this country. that prevent progression. if thew whingers had there way we'd all be living in the caves.

carpenter Dublin has grown , we can't all have the space we used to have, adopt and change.

this kind of not in back yard attiude has got to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

About time. I'd say all the other major European cities have high rise buildings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

The_B_Man wrote:
    ye it was only a matter of time before this sorta stuff happened. isnt there a development beside heuston station thats gonna be quite tall too?
    Yeah,
    Its under construction at the moment.There are a couple of buildings but the highest is 32 stories.
    The nearest homes to it are apartments(4-5 stories) located about 300m-400m away so the impact is not as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

The_B_Man wrote:

http://www.opw.ie/pics/View-001-Kiosk%20backdrop.jpg

Heres an image of the model of Heuston gate, the tower beside Heuston station. Nice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Archeron wrote:
    http://www.opw.ie/pics/View-001-Kiosk%20backdrop.jpg

Heres an image of the model of Heuston gate, the tower beside Heuston station. Nice!

My personal opinion is that skyscrapers tend to look best when grouped together. Dublin seems to be opting for randomly spaced "landmark buildings". I don't think that's a great idea.

The Heuston Square development (beside the Heuston Gate one) is under construction on St. John's Rd. already. With The Old Chocolate Factory and Clancy Barracks as well, that whole area is going to be transformed as much as Docklands over the next few years. Overall it should be good.

I'm Just not convinced about one-off skyscrapers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭Archeron

Sarsfield wrote:
    I'm Just not convinced about one-off skyscrapers.

I agree, I think clusters would be much more suitable. unfortunately, I think that Dublin is not going to accept buildings of this height on a large scale for a long time to come, so this is about as good as its going to get, for now at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

bennyx_o wrote:
    About time. I'd say all the other major European cities have high rise buildings.

Most have them in the city centre not in the suburbs.

Personally I don't want to look out my bedroom window at a 25 story high building. The whole Beacon development has just been an eyesore. There once was a time I could see the Dublin/Wicklow mountains, now I can see 12 high rise cranes. Lovely.

about frigging time, serioulsy they should have built up a long time ago. its ridicoulous the amount of whingers we have in this country. that prevent progression. if thew whingers had there way we'd all be living in the caves.

carpenter Dublin has grown , we can't all have the space we used to have, adopt and change.

this kind of not in back yard attiude has got to go.

Who are you to say that is it on your door step did you buy a house @15% int rate when there was no work when i bought my house i wanted to live in sandyford not a high rise development now people are telling me i have too:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

High rise is needed ! don't like it move!

Dublin is a City Now and plenty of poeple need to get used to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Carpenter wrote:
    Who are you to say that is it on your door step did you buy a house @15% int rate when there was no work when i bought my house i wanted to live in sandyford not a high rise development now people are telling me i have too:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Chill out there.

Regardless of the NIMBY reaction to these kinds of developments, more often than not, a nice new set of housing in your area can help push up the cost of yours. It's only during connstruction that the value of your house might be a bit underestimated. Think about it - large building, lots of offices and lots of apartments brings new shops, new jobs and more money to the area.

Case in point - my girlfriend's parents live in a significant house in Terenure. Last year a development started right beside their house in a large field. The residents were up in arms, because included in that would be a four-storey (tiered) apartment block. They were all convinced that no-one would want their houses now.
    But the development is now nearly finished. They've turned a troublesome field, regularly populated by teenage gangs, into an affluent housing estate with some houses costing €2.5m. None of the residents have lost anything in the way of privacy or light, and instead of a big ugly wall running halfway down the street, they'll now have a nice, well looked after estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

You gotta laugh at the low rise small town mentality of the City planners in Dublin Corporation!

In Melbourne construction was recently completed on Eureka Towers which is the tallest apartment block in the world. No half measures down here.

See it here

thats the way to go!

Drapper wrote:
    High rise is needed ! don't like it move!

Dublin is a City Now and plenty of poeple need to get used to this.

Move no sorry i will not move but we will fight to try get it lower we have over 250 people with us now and a town planner so move not a chance fight yes i have always liked that :D:D:D:D

what does the LAP and Town Plan for the area state?

don't forget An Bord Plenala are in favour of high rise high density developments ! makesure your Planner is on a fixed fee becuase you'll have a long costly battle!

• Advertisement

Hi
    Does anyone know a good town planner willing to talk to us about this

http://www.irishplanninginstitute.ie/consultants.jsp

take your pick !

I'd recommend :- Colin Buchanan and Partners

I've worked with them in the past ;-)

Ta Drapper nice 1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Dublin city centre is where we need these tall buildings. We need to turn Dublin into a higher density city. We are too much like LA... sprawling out into the countryside with roads that cant cope with the traffic.

If people work in the city centre and live in the city centre they can walk to work or take bus/luas/metro (when built) for a short trip.
    The Docklands area is perfect.. leave the old low rise city intact and build up a new city area. Paris is a prime example!!! There are a couple of clusters of high rise and most of the old city is still low rise.

Sandyford is the wrong place for high rise.. good idea in the wrong location. Though i can see the logic... Right by the luas.. imagine the view of the city & Mountains at that elevation if you are up near the top!!

Just 2 let u all know they backed down on the 25 floors

to how many? have they increase site coverage to compensate? or a smaller development ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

dSTAR wrote:
    You gotta laugh at the low rise small town mentality of the City planners in Dublin Corporation!

In Melbourne construction was recently completed on Eureka Towers which is the tallest apartment block in the world. No half measures down here.

See it here
    What part of Melbourne are these in?

I lived there until May of this year, and worked on Collins St, up by the Spencer St train station (what's it called now, I've forgotten the name of it) ans used to get the train in from the St Kilda/Balaclava area, and I have a vague recollection of seeing this tower on my trip in.

Am I imagining things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Carpenter wrote:
    Just 2 let u all know they backed down on the 25 floors

Well, it's typical of developers to over-plan and look for more than they need, knowing the final judgement will result in some comprimise yet still suit them, so this is not unusual. I believe this development has been reduced to 16 stoies?? Still tall enough to cast a shadow, but in fairness, I do not believe people have the right to complain. Dublin has the worst example of Urban sprawl in Europe and it's footprint is vastly bigger than many cities that have a much larger population (Dublin takes up more space than Brussels and Amsterdam combined and doubled or something like that).

What Carpenter has got to realise is that they're now living in a commercial and industrial area. It's not the quiet suburb it once was. There are plans afoot for numerous taller buildings in Sandyford so I would sell up now if I felt that strongly about it. Seriously, we have got to get out of this Big means Bad mindset. So what if there's a little shadow in your Garden?? Do you spend a lot of time in there before 11 am??

My Garden is covered by trees, shall I chop them down??

Advertisement