Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sliding sash windows

• 27-06-2006 9:02pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was recently asked to make wooden sliding sash windows, by a good friend.
    So i said I'd look into it.

He said he had got some quotes recently that were staggering. But his biggest issue was that the lead times were up to three months.

Any one here have a similar problem with the lead times for windows.

kadman

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Are these the up&down sash windows with the weights on either side?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Hi madm,

The very ones indeed. Although there are a couple of types of sliding sash windows.
    Spring balances, weights and pulleys , and a plastic insert called a bonavara system.

Although he was willing to take the cheaper construction bonavara system, still got a 3 month lead time.

kadman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Hi Kadman,

Given that its something we will be looking at soon I'm wondering what qualifies as "staggering" these days.

Read an article recently where Marvin Architectural were saying that you can expect to pay up to 2K a unit for sliding sash windows. Was it in the region of that?

Thanks

SAS

Hi SAS,

Sorry for the delay, posting on another website as well at the moment, so I'm flicking between sites.

Cost wise , 2k for a 1200 wide by about 2440 high could run to 2k+.

It all depends on the spec , cill size overhang , sliding sash type, glazing method. Material used , primed or natural, laminated or not, arch or square.

At the moment there seems to be huge demand for them , especially the traditional construction , for heritage granted conservation projects as well.

Thats when I stared to think why not.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

Kadman,

we worked at a house that used Andersen windows (US). 3 month lead time, dont know the exact cost but i assume they weren't cheap.
    Arrived well packaged. Sliding sash, with a tilting facility. Nice smooth action, the only feature that wasn't to good was the georgian bars were bowing out and getting caught on the other frame. The local distributor got them sorted though.

• Advertisement

foamcutter wrote:
    Kadman,

we worked at a house that used Andersen windows (US). 3 month lead time, dont know the exact cost but i assume they weren't cheap.
    Arrived well packaged. Sliding sash, with a tilting facility. Nice smooth action, the only feature that wasn't to good was the georgian bars were bowing out and getting caught on the other frame. The local distributor got them sorted though.

Hi foamcutter,

Lead times to be running at around that alright. Bowed glazing bars can be a problem , especially if they are fitted to give individual panes of glass.

A complete pane with plant on glazing is not as troublesome. But if you break a pne, you have to strip all the glazing bars. Messy

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Debracd

Kadman, my sis(yes there's more of us!) had a few companies out looking at her original sash windows recently with a view to replacing or renovating them. I'm not 100% sure what info she got, but you could PM her over on the other side and she'd be able to give you a better idea!

Deb

Thanks for the invite Deb,

|I,ll pop over there and pm her and see how she got on.

have they been done yet.

kadman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,998 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Kadman,

My employer replaced ten very large sash windows with uPVC about ten years ago. When the job was complete someone pointed out that the building was listed and the removal/replacement of the sash windows would require PP. New windows had to be ordered in the UK at a whopping IR£4,000 each (10 yrs ago!).

Red faces all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Hi,

I got about 10 quotes for sliding sash, from uPVC, traditional wood with weights etc and aluminium clad and all were minimum 12 weeks delivery.

• Advertisement

Kadman,

My employer replaced ten very large sash windows with uPVC about ten years ago. When the job was complete someone pointed out that the building was listed and the removal/replacement of the sash windows would require PP. New windows had to be ordered in the UK at a whopping IR£4,000 each (10 yrs ago!).

Red faces all around.

Funny you should say that.

I replaced many pvc sliding sash windows, with solid timber in Dublin areas, mainly due to the same thing. developers installed all pvc , only to have us replace them after.

kadman

Debracd wrote:
    Kadman, my sis(yes there's more of us!) had a few companies out looking at her original sash windows recently with a view to replacing or renovating them. I'm not 100% sure what info she got, but you could PM her over on the other side and she'd be able to give you a better idea!

Deb

Hi Debracd,

Why have you kept the virtual bar a secret from us all this time.

I can foresee a drove of thirsty diyers, heading there , after a hard days work.

You crafty devil.....:D :D

A virtual pint and perhaps a virtual lapdance :D:D

Can you pm me the sis's name , i'd like to check on the window situation.

Has she had the repairs done at this stage.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Kadman,

Where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Debracd

Will do Kadman :)

eddiej wrote:
    Kadman,

Where?

I,m here Eddiej:D :D

Sorry elaborate please,

tim

Hi eddiej,

Sliding sash info, I,m yer man.

Virtual bar...follow Debracd;)

kadman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Surely this can be done cheaper and faster? I have a partner overseas who could do this. What sort of wood is in these things? Does anybody have some diagrams for making 'em?

*sniffs an opportunity*

I do , I can make them and design them , why.

What part of overseas is your partner in, as there are varying standards for sliding sash windows, and specs.

kadman

guy is in poland.

There is obviously not very much point unless they are made to the Irish spec.

guy is in poland.

There is obviously not very much point unless they are made to the Irish spec.

Is he a joiner , and has he made them before

kadman

" sniffs a better opportunity":D :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 paddynead

This is my first time to post, I’ve been reading all the post for the last month and I have taking lots of great tips from them thanks.
    I am Just starting the search for sliding sash windows, Can anybody tell me what are the standard size (small,med & large ) sliding sash window as when I ask the window companies they tell me they custom make any size window. We have about 25 windows and I would like to keep the costs down (keep them to a standard) I was a bit shocked to here SAS’s find of 2K per unit. Also has anyone got any recommendations for good quality window companies as I have trolled the golden pages and sent e-mails to many companies looking for brochures, but only received a hand full?

paddynead wrote:
    This is my first time to post, I’ve been reading all the post for the last month and I have taking lots of great tips from them thanks.
    I am Just starting the search for sliding sash windows, Can anybody tell me what are the standard size (small,med & large ) sliding sash window as when I ask the window companies they tell me they custom make any size window. We have about 25 windows and I would like to keep the costs down (keep them to a standard) I was a bit shocked to here SAS’s find of 2K per unit. Also has anyone got any recommendations for good quality window companies as I have trolled the golden pages and sent e-mails to many companies looking for brochures, but only received a hand full?

Hi paddynead,

Well if cost is an issue there are a couple of options to try and keep the cost down.

Would you be willing to do any amount of work on them. Painting , glazing fixing ect. If you were , it is possible to bring the windows a lot below 2k.

kadman

paddynead wrote:
    I was a bit shocked to here SAS’s find of 2K per unit.

The company I mentioned in the original post are at
    http://www.marvin-architectural.com/owner/home.html

I've seen their windows at the "Spring Home & Garden Show" in the RDS. The internal pine finish externally clad in aluminium in a large window is quite impressive. But if these are the ones at 2K+ they'd damn well want to be, wouldn't they?

If its of any use they are listed for the SelfBuild show in punchestown in Sept.

Search this forum too its definitely come up in the last few months.

SAS

Standard window at about 1200 x 1800 could go as far as 1500+.

Materail maybe teak, or mahogany sashes and casing .. Internal liners, sapele , Tatajuba ( sp)

This type would not necessarily be either laminated sections or aluclad, or dry glazed either

kadman

kadman wrote:
    Is he a joiner , and has he made them before

kadman

" sniffs a better opportunity":D :D

ah shir, a few carpentry books, some white deal and a chisel and away they'll go.

Seriously, there must be a lot of demand for these, like nearly ten thousand of units a year in Ireland alone, no? I hope you don't have to make 'em all yourself.

:)

ah shir, a few carpentry books, some white deal and a chisel and away they'll go.

Seriously, there must be a lot of demand for these, like nearly ten thousand of units a year in Ireland alone, no? I hope you don't have to make 'em all yourself.

:)

I do,

But I wont be using white deal though :D:D

Hi Paddynead,

I got alot of quotes for sliding sash, from trad, PVC and the likes of Marvin. The difference between the cheapest and dearest was only about 4 - 5 grand. I went with Marvin who were the most expensive but I felt were the best, and fotr that bit extra over the lifetime of the windows worth it.

They are alu clad which comes with a life time guarentee and both sash's tilt in and can be taken out quite easily for cleaning or painting.

Another company to look at who do a very similar product ot Marvin are Lowen Windows, and I think they may be a little cheaper. i would say their quality is as good if not slightly better than Marvin. We didn't go with them because the guy was alittle slow at getting back to us as he was just setting up as the Irish agent and we had to make a decision.

If you can, pay for good windows as they really make the difference to how the house will look.

Wobs wrote:
    The difference between the cheapest and dearest was only about 4 - 5 grand

The vast majority of self builders I know would hope to get all their windows for that 4 -5 grand :)

sas wrote:
    The vast majority of self builders I know would hope to get all their windows for that 4 -5 grand :)

Might be possible..if they supplied and fitted their own glass , and fitted the window

kadman

• Advertisement

sas wrote:

Well when you are looking at sliding sash you would be lucky to get 4-5 average size for that.
    To give you an idea Paddynead, We had 22 sash windows average size about 1.5 x 1 mtr, 1 casement window and 2 sets of french doors and our quotes went from about 29k to about 34/35k.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement