Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sliding sash windows

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Wobs wrote:
    Well when you are looking at sliding sash you would be lucky to get 4-5 average size for that.
    To give you an idea Paddynead, We had 22 sash windows average size about 1.5 x 1 mtr, 1 casement window and 2 sets of french doors and our quotes went from about 29k to about 34/35k.

For reference, how recently was that? Just interested in how "inflation" may have affected that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Wobs

Hi Sas,

All the quotes were from last year .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 paddynead

Thanks for all the replies.

We could paint and install them, will this cut a bit off the price? How much would the painting alone cut off?

kadman wrote:
    Hi paddynead,

Well if cost is an issue there are a couple of options to try and keep the cost down.

Would you be willing to do any amount of work on them. Painting , glazing fixing ect. If you were , it is possible to bring the windows a lot below 2k.

kadman

I just found the loewen website will contact them. Txs wobs

What do people prefer Alu Clad or timber window which is more expensive? My windows will be white is there a lot of up keep with the timber? Large area of the house is south facing.
    We want the windows to look as real as possible. If some of our windows are non opening will this help with the cost? Will it still look good?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

paddynead wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies.

We could paint and install them, will this cut a bit off the price? How much would the painting alone cut off?

I just found the loewen website will contact them. Txs wobs

What do people prefer Alu Clad or timber window which is more expensive? My windows will be white is there a lot of up keep with the timber? Large area of the house is south facing.
    We want the windows to look as real as possible. If some of our windows are non opening will this help with the cost? Will it still look good?

If some your windows were fixed sashes, i reckon it would cut up to 10% of a window price , depending on how many sashes were fixed in a window. And what type of window system it was.

Complete fitting of sashes weights, cords and widow frame , you could save about 75 -100 euro a windwo. IF YOU KNEW WHAT you were doing.

painting could save you a small percentage of the overall cost , but it is labour intensive.

kadman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I have done a little work on sash windows in my time, and I am with kadman here. It is seriously labour-intensive stuff, and if you don't know what you're doing it can take a lot of time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kingswood

hi all, i have a joinery shop in london and will be happy to quote for any windows wanted, they certainly wont cost 2k ea and i'll deliver them home to anywhere in ireland at no extra cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

Kadman,

My employer replaced ten very large sash windows with uPVC about ten years ago. When the job was complete someone pointed out that the building was listed and the removal/replacement of the sash windows would require PP. New windows had to be ordered in the UK at a whopping IR£4,000 each (10 yrs ago!).

Red faces all around.

Yep. Served him right. Imagine owning a listed building and not knowing this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

extopia wrote: »
    Yep. Served him right. Imagine owning a listed building and not knowing this...

I heard a story from one of my competitors about a woman who bought a sea front building in Seapoint.

Took all the windows out and put in uPVC took all the shutters and window surrounds out because they were too much trouble to paint.

I think it was about 25 windows with surrounds.

Council found out and forced them to reinstate the sash windows as they were and reinstate the surrounds with shutters.

Wish I had been there when it happened (wish I had gotten the job)

I'll never understand why some people buy old buildings then rip out the best of it.

Never understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 cilldara34

you can get them a lot cheaper than that i got mine for 750 for the same size windows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jpos1

were they fully finished.... what was the quality like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 cilldara34

The exact same windows that are on the web site. fully finished pine hardwood cills painted on outside laqured on the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Deirdra

Hi,

We are building at the minute & we're ready for windows but finding it hard to make a decision. We had hoped to put sliding sash windows across the front & on the gables & ordinary casement windows across the back. Initially we were only considering upvc sliding sash windows as we thought there would be too much maintenance on a timber equivalent.

At the weekend we went out to the self-build exhibition in Citywest to get some more information. We spoke with one company from Tipperary who only do timber windows & they told us that their sliding sash windows are completely maintenance free because they're treated in a special way. Is this possible?

Also, over time, since the sliding sash windows do not have rubber seals, could they become draughty?

Would appreciate as much information as possible in relation to sliding sash windows.

thanks

Why would they not have rubber or other types of seals?

How long wood will last is going to depend on what type of wood is used, as well as the type of finish. Choosing woods is very complicated. In general, hardwoods like teak are more expensive than softwoods.

It's hard to imagine that there's a finish you can put on wood that will never require painting or varnishing or oiling, but maybe there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Deirdra

They have 'draught strips' but they're not rubber. They're like little hairs or bristles & Im just wndering will they get damaged over time if the windows are used alot.

re seals wearing out - same issue whatever the windows are made of. there is no particular reason why rubber would last longer than brush seals. It's a matter of which type is more appropriate for a particular application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 maqsash

I use micro potous paint on our sash windows and the paint co. gives a 10 year guarantee . Thats the best paint option I could find , you have to use an oil based paint when retoring single glazed sash windows.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement