Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is 10GB enough of an allowance?

• 27-06-2006 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

I'm thinking of getting broadband for the first time and the package I was thinking of has a 10Gb download allowance. Is this good or bad as I have no experience in the matter. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

fearcruach wrote:
    I'm thinking of getting broadband for the first time and the package I was thinking of has a 10Gb download allowance. Is this good or bad as I have no experience in the matter. Thanks.

For browsing and mail it is plenty. If you do much downloading it is quite small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's plenty if you'll spend a few hours every night just checking mails and surfing sites, occasionally watching videos on youtube, etc.

It really only becomes small if you'll spend time making large downloads. I've downloaded 12GB in the last 24 hours for example (2 x Linux ISOs & Windows Vista ISO), but that wouldn't be the norm. Most ISPs tend not to be strict on the limits unless you're a consistent offender.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

if all your doing is browsing the net, picking up e-mail, looking at movie trailers the odd time and buying music off iTunes then its more then enough...talking from experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Smoggy

I have a 12gb can and download loads, its well enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Smoggy wrote:
    I have a 12gb can and download loads, its well enough

Please stop misleading people!
    You loads and my loads must differ HUGELY!

For the casual user and those who will only use the internet for activities as stated above then your fine....if you download loads(my definition!) then go for the higher and more expensive packages.

When I first got broadband with eircom in Oct 2004 the download CAP was 4GB and I was actually able to keep my downloading to under 6GB for the first month....then upgraded to the Plus package for the 8GB capacity....for which I stayed under 10GB for....before conacelling the 2month trial they had on offer due to "advanced billing crap"!

Went to 16GB BT a couple of months later(once you get BB there aint no going back!) which quickly changed to 24GB allowance following the 2Mbit upgrades.....quadruple the speed but increase the allowance by half....WTF!
    That new allowance was quickly broken.

What Im trying to say is that once you find things to download (radio/video streams, dl.tv, Digg, Vista...etc) it becomes infectious so in time you will be better able to follow your downloading trends and organise your BB package accordingly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

fearcruach wrote:
    The short answer is that if you have to ask, then yes, 10G is loads.

90% of DSL users in Ireland don't come anywhere near using their "download allowance".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

For the average user 10GB is plenty of allowance.
    Even if you do a small bit of downloading you're unlikely to go over it.

An album is normally only about 100 - 150 MB, a TV show 200 - 300 and a divX movie around 600. - 700.
    So if you do one of each a week, you'll be just between 4 - 5 GB for the month, which still leaves bandwidth for surfing the net and checking mails.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

zuma wrote:
    You loads and my loads must differ HUGELY!

Yes your loads and his loads are very different, same as your loads and my loads (150GB+) are very different.
    However I don't believe he's misleading anybody, for the average user 10GB is more then enough...for a heavy downloader its nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 vimak

Foxwood wrote:
    The short answer is that if you have to ask, then yes, 10G is loads.

90% of DSL users in Ireland don't come anywhere near using their "download allowance".

this is why I'm still wondering why they are bothering with the stupid dl caps at all in the first place. Uncapped dsl's work in other countries fine, why not in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I myself am on 1GB monthly allowance with Skydsl one-way Satellite and I have only gone over it a few times by 200MB. But then again I don't download off itune's and have firefox adblock blocking out adds on my favourite sites, and all flash and youtube applications are now restricted. (I couldn't stay on target otherwise) I feel websites have got much bigger since this time last year with more focus on "media content" etc. What I wouldn't give to have 10gigs :eek: I have recently bought an Ipod which has some itunes vouchers and I'd like to use them but will probably do it in an Internet Cafe instead.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote:
    Yes your loads and his loads are very different, same as your loads and my loads (150GB+) are very different.
    However I don't believe he's misleading anybody, for the average user 10GB is more then enough...for a heavy downloader its nothing.

Wanna put money on that ascersion... ;) !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Sconsey

zuma wrote:
    You loads and my loads must differ HUGELY!....

...What Im trying to say is that once you find things to download (radio/video streams, dl.tv, Digg, Vista...etc) it becomes infectious so in time you will be better able to follow your downloading trends and organise your BB package accordingly.

/Flame On

Relax, nobody is trying to be misleading from what I have read, maybe if the original poster gave a bit more detail on how they will use BB then it would be easier to answer. But I am on a 10Gb cap and I surf for at least an hour, I play online-games for at least two/three hours per day (on average) and I have never come close to hitting the 10Gb limit....so unless you are going for movies/warez/etc. I doubt you need worry about breaking your cap...

p.s.: wtf is the problem with Digg? don't see why you singled that site out as a bandwidth hog. I check Digg a couple of times a day, it's not a big download :eek:

/Flame Off

Sconsey wrote:
    /Flame On

p.s.: wtf is the problem with Digg? don't see why you singled that site out as a bandwidth hog. I check Digg a couple of times a day, it's not a big download :eek:

/Flame Off

I probable wasnt clear about it:
    http://www.revision3.com/

Diggnation is what I was talking about.....I just typed Digg out of habit:
    http://revision3.com/diggnation/2006-06-22/media

Not too small if I say so myself!!!

Sconsey wrote:

I was curious about this myself, I'm assuming he's refering to http://www.digg.com/? If that uses bandwidth then slashdot.org must use loads! :rolleyes:

Perhaps he meant the likes of youtube, google video etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Sconsey

zuma wrote:
    I probable wasnt clear about it:
    http://www.revision3.com/

Diggnation is what I was talking about.....I just typed Digg out of habit:
    http://revision3.com/diggnation/2006-06-22/media

Not too small if I say so myself!!!

Crap! looks like that could soon be putting a dent in my download limit :D ....looks like a good site.

Advertisement