Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Solderless Modchip

Options
  • 27-06-2006 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭

Anybody got a solderless Xbox modchip that I can borrow for a few days? Managed to get myself a free broken Xbox the other day. Opened it up and figured out that the HDD has died, completely died with no hope of working ever again, I even changed logic boards with an exact same drive with same firmware and it managed to spin up but still doesn't work and itsn't recognised on the PC either.

This is a problem because normally I softmod but seeing as the original drive has died I have no way of figuring out the HDD Lock Code unless I manage to build some contraption to read the eeprom chip. That'd be wayyy too much work so I was wondering if I could borrow a solderless modchip from someone for a few days so that I can at least boot up the Xbox with a new HDD then use a tool to read the eeprom chip and rip it to an eeprom.bin file so that I can lock a new HDD with that key and then remove the chip.

Anyone up for loaning me one or at least know where I can buy one second hand?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Sneaky_Russian

You could try this lark.....i need to do this in the near future so i'll report back when i do.

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/Reading_Xbox_Hdd_key.htm

I think theres an easier route fo you though.

from what i gather, you should still be able to boot your mod game(mechassault, 007, splinter cell) from the dvd drive?

then you could probably load the hacked game save from a memory card?

once that loads up unleashX, you can go to the properties and the HDD key is in there..

write it down and get a new HardDisk, copy the nessecary files, and lock it with this key.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

You could try this lark.....i need to do this in the near future so i'll report back when i do.

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/Reading_Xbox_Hdd_key.htm

I think theres an easier route fo you though.

from what i gather, you should still be able to boot your mod game(mechassault, 007, splinter cell) from the dvd drive?

then you could probably load the hacked game save from a memory card?

once that loads up unleashX, you can go to the properties and the HDD key is in there..

write it down and get a new HardDisk, copy the nessecary files, and lock it with this key.

Thanks man I came across that article before but I'm useless with soldering or any electronics. The Xbox won't boot a game at all from the drive I have an original splinter cell with modified cable to use my PSP's Memory Stick as an Xbox memory card with hacked gamesave it's how I softmod other consoles but no go.

Seeing as the original hard drive just died seems like the HDD Key will be lost for a good long while at least. I got this Xbox (limited edition clear green) as payment for doing a softmod for someone else as they didn't need it as it's borked. I did coincidentially enough have the same model of hard drive, same capacity same version with same firmware on the logic board as this hard drive so I switched logic boards between the drives and the drive itself did manage to spin up this time but still no go, connected it to my PC and tried to browse files with xboxhdm but got alot of read errors so the drive itself is ****ed it seems.

So it still looks like i'll have to temporarilly install a solderless chip to retreave the HDD Key.

Any available yourself that I could borrow? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

You dont need any hdd key, eeprom bollox.

Once you get a solderless chip, you can boot slayers, reformat the drive, and if its still dead, stick a new hdd in anyway, use slayers to prepair it, then done. No need for hdd keys, or lock/unlock crap. Once you get the new hdd in, and working, lock it, remove chip, then softmod it as you normally would. ;)

Or, give ME the xbox.... :D

Or, give ME the xbox.... :D
    Yeah heh... that won't happen it's going to be my new media centre frontend with a tv signal being streamed to it over the network (when I get that up and running) and connected to the tv for recording and timeslip features streamed from the tv card on my PC.

Achilles wrote:
    Yeah heh... that won't happen it's going to be my new media centre frontend with a tv signal being streamed to it over the network (when I get that up and running) and connected to the tv for recording and timeslip features streamed from the tv card on my PC.

Sounds good, how does the tv signal thing work? some kind of xbmc/linux dealie? sounds interesting, but I wouldn't have a use for it personally, gonna buy a few 400GB hard drives soon, get a few more xboxes, cheap, second hand ones if I can, and have servers all over the house :D

• Advertisement

Sounds good, how does the tv signal thing work? some kind of xbmc/linux dealie? sounds interesting, but I wouldn't have a use for it personally, gonna buy a few 400GB hard drives soon, get a few more xboxes, cheap, second hand ones if I can, and have servers all over the house :D
    Hrm... how much can you get those 400Gb drives for? Might buy one off of you... would it be possible to get a loan of that solderless chip tomorrow by any chance?

Achilles wrote:
    Hrm... how much can you get those 400Gb drives for? Might buy one off of you... would it be possible to get a loan of that solderless chip tomorrow by any chance?

I dont sell hard drives sadly, try www.komplett.ie, and the chip is still in a mates house.

I dont sell hard drives sadly, try www.komplett.ie, and the chip is still in a mates house.
    Hrm well any chance you could get it just for tomorrow? It's the first day I've had off in a while I could drop it back up towards the end of the day or whatever suits.

Advertisement