Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW 5 Series Vs Jaguar X Type

Options
  • 27-06-2006 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking at the BWM 5 Series 2.2 litre engine and the Jag X Type 2 litre... anybody have any experience or know off how economical these cars are to run and services.

A few people have mentioned that the Jaguar is a lot more expensive to run and it just eats petrol?

Tks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Bimmer 5 series is in a completely different class to a Jag X-Type, which is effectively a re-skinned Mondeo (and FWD).

Dunno about running costs but the 5-series would be better car for re-sale, better car period I reckon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

Lexus1976 wrote:
    Hi,

Looking at the BWM 5 Series 2.2 litre engine and the Jag X Type 2 litre... anybody have any experience or know off how economical these cars are to run and services.

A few people have mentioned that the Jaguar is a lot more expensive to run and it just eats petrol?

Tks

The BMW will hold its value much more than the Jag which is basicily a posh mondeo same chassis, engine etc.
    not that the jag is a bad car,but id say the 5 series would by a better buy.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Would see the X type as more of a 3 series chaser really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

you're better off with a proper bmw instead of a half arsed jag.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Lexus1976 wrote:
    Hi,

Strange comparison as the 5 Series is a bigger model up from the X-Type. The bigger S-Type is the alternative to the 5 Series. But the 5 Series is the winner (or at least the previous model was) in this market segment.

The 3 Series is about the same size as the X-Type.
    Lexus1976 wrote:

Tks

To answer your question the 520i is a 2.2 litre four cylinder engine as far as I know and may be a bit underpowered for the size car so fuel economy may also suffer.

The X-Type is a 2.1 litre V6 and lighter than the 5 Series due to being smaller so it should be more fuel efficent. It is really an unfair comparison as these two cars are not competing with each other.

Also the X-Type is available with 4WD which would make the car heavier and hence less fuel efficent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Its a 2.2 inline 6 engine - 170hp - not particularly quick, but smooth, Fuel economy is about mid to high 30s on a cruise, mid to high 20s urban from my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

As the others said, those cars are in completely different classes
    pburns wrote:
    Jag X-Type, which is effectively a re-skinned Mondeo (and FWD)

The Jaguar X-Type has 4WD, not FWD. Looks like a proper Jag, but indeed it really is based on a Ford Mondeo with the tour-de-force of giving most traction to the rear wheels. Not that there is anything wrong with that! A bit of another me-too imho after Toyota (with the RWD Lexus IS200) cynically, but succesfully, jumped into the segment dominated by RWD BMWs and RWD Mercs

The only other contestant in the X-Type level is the Audi A4, which is only FWD unless one goes quattro

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I had a look at the X-type when changing my C200K a few years back. I had one for 2 days and hated it ! I bought a CLK instead !

Deffo X-Type is more a 3 series competitor, I found it smaller than the C-Class !

Also the 2.0 X-Type is actually 2.1 litre, so the VRT puts it into a higher bracket and the tax is dearer. Plus its only 150BHP, its sluggish, very sluggish although quite smooth !

Only the 2.5 & 3.0 are 4WD, the small one is FWD ! I found the build quality to be flimsy, with interior trim poor quality, the armrest is flimsy, the glovebox was ill-fitting and the wood trim is just pi55 poor for a Jag !

By contrast the 5 series is a well made car, they give airbag trouble occasionally and the rear suspension arms wear prematurley but its a far superior car in every way to any Jag IMO. Also the 2.2 170BHP feels fine and is sweet !

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MercMad wrote:
    Only the 2.5 & 3.0 are 4WD, the small one is FWD !

Ah that's right. Forgot about the low-end models

MercMad wrote:
    I had a look at the X-type when changing my C200K a few years back. I had one for 2 days and hated it ! I bought a CLK instead !

CLK has loads of style inside and out. X-type has only a bit of it and only when you're looking at it from a bit of a distance :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

unkel wrote:
    ...The Jaguar X-Type has 4WD, not FWD. Looks like a proper Jag, but indeed it really is based on a Ford Mondeo with the tour-de-force of giving most traction to the rear wheels. Not that there is anything wrong with that! A bit of another me-too imho after Toyota (with the RWD Lexus IS200) cynically, but succesfully, jumped into the segment dominated by RWD BMWs and RWD Mercs

Incorrect. The 2.0d X Type and 2.1 V6 are fwd. The 2.5 and 3.0 V6's are 4wd.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

MercMad wrote:
    ....Also the 2.0 X-Type is actually 2.1 litre, so the VRT puts it into a higher bracket....

VRT is 30% on anything above 1.9 litres. So the VRT rate is the same on a 2 litre, 2.1 litre or 2.2 litre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Lexus1976

Yes these cars are in a different class. I'm looking for an executive car with an engine less then 2.2. And both of these suited what I'm looking for.
    Audi, Saabs and Mercs are all excellent cars but not for me.

The reason why i'm considering the Jag:

Think the Jag is a bit more stylish then the BWM and not as common... every second car on the road now seems to be a BWM of some shape or form.

BMW 5 series is an amazing car but I do not like the interior (Bland) compared to the Jag X Type..

Fuel ecomony on both are comparatively the same due to the engine and weight of the cars.

Anybody know how much it costs to services these cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Lexus1976 wrote:
    The reason why i'm considering the Jag:

Think the Jag is a bit more stylish then the BWM and not as common... every second car on the road now seems to be a BWM of some shape or form.

BMW 5 series is an amazing car but I do not like the interior (Bland) compared to the Jag X Type..

Fuel ecomony on both are comparatively the same due to the engine and weight of the cars.

Anybody know how much it costs to services these cars?

Sounds like you really like the Jag & you have the where-with-all to attain it...

So go buy the bloody thing & stop pussyfootin' about servicing/fuel consumption. There's going to be bugger-all differences between cars in this class.

VRT is 30% on anything above 1.9 litres. So the VRT rate is the same on a 2 litre, 2.1 litre or 2.2 litre.

.............ahh yes true. I looked in late 2002 and the Jaguar just seemed way too expensive then compared with its true competitors. I would have had to spend €13 over the list price to get what I had on the C-Class, and they gave me a crap trade in price. I ended up buying the CLK with more in it yest for far less money !

If it isn't your own cash then test drive both and pick the one you like best. If it IS your cash I would run outa the Jag showroom before it costs you money !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

If you want an x-type, go up north. My dad just got a 2004 SE diesel for £13,500 up there. Has every extra including sat nav. Even with VRT of 11,500 he saved around 7,000.

If it isn't your own cash then test drive both and pick the one you like best. If it IS your cash I would run outa the Jag showroom before it costs you money !!

Dont understand... not buying a brand new Jag... 2004 Dont think the Jag X Type is much more expensive then the BWM... unless your talking about the cost to get it serviced?

Dont understand... not buying a brand new Jag... 2004 Dont think the Jag X Type is much more expensive then the BWM... unless your talking about the cost to get it serviced?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think he means if it's being paid for by a company, go with the one you like the look of best, but for resale, the Beemer wins.

Cheers

• Advertisement

........exactly and the Jag X isnm't half the car the E39 is !

I spotted some X-Types at Charles Hurst in Belfast and tru enough they were seriously cheap !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭gstonesmx5

the jag looks better but the interior is too small. if you plan on having people in the back they better not be over 5ft 6".

if it were me it would be the 5

Advertisement