Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flash laggy on Mac browser (transparent window mode)

Options
  • 27-06-2006 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭

I'm making a site with flash. Have mercy on me!

I haven't done that much, and all the artwork so far is vectors but for some reason the flash is seriously laggy when I view it on a browser. I tried speeding the frame rate and it doesn't make any difference. Although when I test the movie using the flash player it's fine.

So I checked the cpu speed and it does seem to eat a bit of the cpu (even though there really isn't much happening). But the strange thing is - when I open the file directly from the browser - it's cool. The cpu doesn't get used as much either.

Is this normal? I haven't had problems before.

I'm using the object method of inserting flash:
    <embed src="indexvector.swf" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="800" height="700" name="test" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer&quot; />

It's a Flash 6 document created on Flash 8.

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

your framerate is probably too high, never use more than 30

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

pm me a link to the file on a server and i'll test it for you if you wish....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Gordon wrote:
    I'm making a site with flash. Have mercy on me!

I haven't done that much, and all the artwork so far is vectors but for some reason the flash is seriously laggy when I view it on a browser. I tried speeding the frame rate and it doesn't make any difference. Although when I test the movie using the flash player it's fine.

So I checked the cpu speed and it does seem to eat a bit of the cpu (even though there really isn't much happening). But the strange thing is - when I open the file directly from the browser - it's cool. The cpu doesn't get used as much either.

Is this normal? I haven't had problems before.

I'm using the object method of inserting flash:
    <embed src="indexvector.swf" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="800" height="700" name="test" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer&quot; />

It's a Flash 6 document created on Flash 8.

:confused:

When you open it locally with teh browser its cool? Thats vecause its running locally and doesnt need to load. Is it when it is live and online that it is laggy? I suspect its quite large what K or Mb are we talking here? You could solve it with a preloader but i suspect you will need to chop it up into different swfs. Thats the standard way you would do completely flash sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Rollo, I may do that tomorrow, thanks.

The framerate is 30 and it has completely loaded all the necessary stuff with my preloader. (I forgot it does load a small jpg image at random upon loading). The swf file is only 36k. It's running laggy when I view it locally, that's my problem!

And I'm on a 2.1ghz mac with 1.5gigs of ram too. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Gordon wrote:
    Rollo, I may do that tomorrow, thanks.

The framerate is 30 and it has completely loaded all the necessary stuff with my preloader. (I forgot it does load a small jpg image at random upon loading). The swf file is only 36k. It's running laggy when I view it locally, that's my problem!

And I'm on a 2.1ghz mac with 1.5gigs of ram too. :/

Jesus that is weird! Hmmmmmm!!

• Advertisement

It sure is, as it's fine on a PC. :(

Well to update this, it seems to be a mac specific problem. I haven't researched it properly but there is some problem with Flash that makes certain vectors and movies laggy on a mac.

However, in my case the problem lies solely on the fact that I have a transparent flash background.

So, if you've got a transparent background on your flash - it may be laggy for mac users. :/

Advertisement