Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

log house

Options
  • 27-06-2006 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

I imagine it has been covered before but I am looking into a log house build. I stayed in one in Cavan and I was very impressed by its warmth, its breathability, and the overall feel and look of it. I am going to talk to a builder soon who is starting to do them and was just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with them, either living in them or constructing them. How different are they to the usual timber frame builds?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

cue wrote:
    I imagine it has been covered before but I am looking into a log house build. I stayed in one in Cavan and I was very impressed by its warmth, its breathability, and the overall feel and look of it. I am going to talk to a builder soon who is starting to do them and was just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with them, either living in them or constructing them. How different are they to the usual timber frame builds?

Radically different from a timber frame build Cue.

Totally different methods of construction all together. When you say your builder is starting them soon. Is he building from a kit based construction , or erecting them from a company manufacturing plant

kadman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

Cue,

from what I've been told they are more thermally efficient than a timber frame constructed house, but l would be sure to check this out with an engineer or the manufacturer, to make sure that you have the correct heat loss calculations.

They also don't like waste pipes going out through the walls, so you may have to consider the positioning of any upstairs bathroom/ ensuites etc, for pipe runs and voids to downstairs. The same applies to any oil/gas fired range/cooker that need an insulated flue.

Good luck with your research

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

If you are going to borrow money for the build, check out that you can get a mortgage on a log cabin. For some crazy reason many banks won't mortgage this type of home! :confused:

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I would love to have a log house too..... saw lots of great designs and they are cheap and environmently friendly.....
    .... but .... check out planning permission before you commit. Kerry Co Council (for example) will NOT grant planning permission for a log house.....its a real pain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Thanks for the old threads and the advice people. Plenty to be checking out. Have to check with the builder, kadman. Apparently these guys used to import a kit from canada and erect them, but now they have moved into manufacturing themselves. Will keep you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Does anyone know about the insulation properties of log houses? How do they compare with a standard insulated timber frame home?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Do-more wrote:
    If you are going to borrow money for the build, check out that you can get a mortgage on a log cabin. For some crazy reason many banks won't mortgage this type of home! :confused:
    Bit strange alright considering they will probably last a lot longer than a typical mortgage duration.

I've just been approved by AIB for a mortgage for a log cabin...ok its not my primary residence, but they had no problem. They gave me 85% and I just got the other 15% as an equity release from my own home.

They didn't ask for anything out of the ordinary.

Cue, sent you a PM.

Kadman, any recommendations for what to use for preserving the wood? I've been recommended by the suppliers to use Remmers.

Hi lex ,

Remmers is definitely an industry standard for all sorts of waterproofing , and surface protective coatings throughout the construction industry. And if its the companies preferred choice , best not to upset any guarantee issues.;)

Rooferpete would have good advice regarding that one , as i do believe he covers waterproofing with regards to industrial builds , and if memory serves me well , water protective coatings relative to bridge building projects as well.

Pm me and I will give you details.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Bit strange alright considering they will probably last a lot longer than a typical mortgage duration.

I got the info from a guy getting a timber frame from Griffner Coillte, seems they wrongly classified the house as a Log cabin and said they would not mortgage it, as they did not deem it to be a permanent structure i.e. if they went round to repo the house it could be gone! Can't remember if he said it was AIB or BOI.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

A lot to learn about these log houses. I met with the Builder/Carpenters and this is what I picked up from them. I hope it makes sense. Basically, the guys get Eastern Pine logs debarked and treated with pest control in Canada. I saw a sample log and it is about 18" wide and had been planed down to a nearly oval shape. Each log has a tongue and groove connection with two strips of a rubber like material for insulation in the join. I did not know this but these log houses just have one wall and the log itself acts as insulation. I asked about u-values and it was explained to me that logs are more about "thermal mass" and not cavities, so not sure if it applies in the same way. The theory is the log stores heat from the day and releases it at night, and it cools the house in the summer. The guys then manufacture the house, which means they work from the plans and construct the whole thing up as far as the roof. They make all the necessary cuts and joints and ensure that the whole thing fits together the way it is supposed to. They then stain it, take it all apart again and load it for delivery. The erection process on site takes a few days! The difference this time is it is made permanent. I think they use large vertical bolts to do this. The roof is made up of log trusses (exposed if preferred), sheeted with 6x2 tongue n groove, counter battened with 2x2, insulated, then felted and battened ready for roof tiling. They do not have vents in the roof because it breathes. They have a lifespan of 3 generations but they recommend spraying every 3 years to protect against uv. They can do turnkey or just erection and they say they will advise the trades on the differences. They say there is no problem with insurance or mortgages and planning is standard (but they would say that wouldn't they?). They showed me some pictures of the type of stuff they do and it looks pretty amazing. They are just starting out though so I am holding off to visit an actual build which is awaiting Planning Permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

I have had one built on my property, it is very warm and retains the heat magnificently....

You must paint preservative on it to prevent damage to it, and this helps seal the wood to prevent rain entering, I can upload a pic if you would like, althought the painting and surrounding deck has not been a priority so it may look a bit unfinished.

I ordered mine through weekendhouse.com
    Two Finnish men came over and built it.

Do-more wrote:
    as they did not deem it to be a permanent structure i.e. if they went round to repo the house it could be gone! Can't remember if he said it was AIB or BOI.
    I'd like to see anybody walk up to a log cabin and stick it on the back of a truck in one piece. Temporary structure me ar$e.

Try AIB in Naas, thats who approved mine with no problem whatsoever. It is no different than getting a loan for any holiday home AFAIK. Kidd insurances in Dublin gave me a super quote also as they deal especially for this sort of cover.

My log cabin came unassembled in a truck:P

Interlocking cabin construction , is stick built

kadman

shortys94 wrote:
    My log cabin came unassembled in a truck:P
    kadman wrote:
    Interlocking cabin construction , is stick built

kadman
    I know what you mean lads that they come unassembled, but once built, its a permanent structure.

I don't think anybody would EVER consider dismantling one to move it.

Yea, I think log cabins are the way to go now, much cheaper even with all transport and labour costs, although some of the work the guys did was pretty dangerous and they didnt seem to build with any safety regulations in mind, but I suppose they do it all the time, our house was order number 47 in Ireland

Heres a picture I uploaded of the cabin, the exteriror hasnt been fully finished, but it is coming along. just to show anyone who may be interested in building one.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/shortys94/IMAG0212.jpg

shortys94 wrote:
    Heres a picture I uploaded of the cabin, the exteriror hasnt been fully finished, but it is coming along. just to show anyone who may be interested in building one.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a354/shortys94/IMAG0212.jpg
    Is that your own log house or one identical to yours? If its yours, it looks great. Nice surroundings also...the trees and background really add to the feel of the log cabin.

Here's a pic of mine currently being constructed up in Cavan taken last Saturday

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/tosullivan/Cavan/Image030.jpg

Yes it is mine, thanks for comments, although that is not the finished colour as the stain has only been put on the other three sides....

Nice one yourself, upload a pic again when it is completed....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ur-lord

Hi guys, hust thought you might find this link handy http://www.theloghousecompany.ie wicklow base log home co. that provide lamintated quality houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanigamadan

Hi I just registered on boards.ie to be able to give a voice to Irish Log Builders on this thread.

I'll try to avoid commercial commentary but I am concerned about misinformation and poor quality kits and construction practices in the fledgling Irish log building industry.

I agree with kadman that log construction is very different to timber frame construction and some log homes have been built by frame builders without adequate knowledge of the log settlement process which results in serious problems in future years. Unfortunately this can bring the whole concept into disrepute and lead to a view that they are unsuitable in Ireland.

High quality log kits are designed to settle gracefully and if the log kit manufacturer is involved in the design process and the log builders are properly trained then the finished home will last for centuries.

In 2000 I met with representatives of the planning inspectorate in the Dail, facilitated by the Minister of State with responsibility for Forestry, to highlight the alleged discrimination against log buildings in this country by the planning authorities. At the end of the meeting we were assured that no such discrimination would be found and that the planning inspectorate would brief all offices to this effect. We did find that the situation improved for a few years but now there appears to be three counties that have indicated their aversion to wooden buildings at pre-planning meetings where it does not usually go on the record. On the other hand, we find that many counties are very enthusiastic about log buildings on sites that have a few mature trees nearby and a few counties welcome them unconditionally in rural areas.

Regarding difficulties with mortgages, all lenders reserve the right to decline to lend on an individual basis so we cannot say that a particular lender will always give mortgages for log homes but our customers have borrowed from all the major lenders in Ireland. It is often a case of persisting at a local level and asking the lender to check with head office regarding policy.

Finally, like any construction project in this country, building your log home requires commitment and stamina from the outset but every person I've met who lives in a log home is very glad that they do and they affirmed that they could not go back to living in a block construction.

Hi Lanigamadan,

Site is very impressive , kits look very good. I'd be interested to see the technical construction details of some of the kits. I could n't find the spec on the site, i may have overlooked, as it was a quick visit.

As you say log cabin construction is far removed from the standard timberframe construction , that has traditionally been dealt with so poorly here. Some people think that timberframe construction and log cabin construction are the same. As we know they are not.

From the standard of tf building here, I would shudder to think of the type of construction methods that ordinary framers here would use.

Glad to see a proper cabin construction expert here.

Welcome

kadman:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dawnie83

hi there i was just looking up about log homes and i see on this you have built one ,,its stunning,,can u tell me who built this for u etc please as i am mad to build one but not sure how expensive it is.. thanks

dawnie83 wrote: »
    hi there i was just looking up about log homes and i see on this you have built one ,,its stunning,,can u tell me who built this for u or were u got the kit etc please as i am mad to build one but not sure how expensive it is.. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Lanigamadan

Hi dawnie83. I'm not sure who you are directing your question to but we have built many log homes around Ireland and we have our own teams to do the kit erection.

Have a look at http://www.GoodWoodSolutions.com for more information on pricing, quality and designs. There's an Enquiry Form on the site so you can tick the box for designs you like and then you'll be emailed more detailed pricing information.

Good luck with your project - log home design and construction sometimes takes a little extra effort but it's well worth it and people who have lived in a log home say they would never live in any other type of building.

Hi dawnie83. I'm not sure who you are directing your question to but we have built many log homes around Ireland and we have our own teams to do the kit erection.

Have a look at http://www.GoodWoodSolutions.com for more information on pricing, quality and designs. There's an Enquiry Form on the site so you can tick the box for designs you like and then you'll be emailed more detailed pricing information.

Good luck with your project - log home design and construction sometimes takes a little extra effort but it's well worth it and people who have lived in a log home say they would never live in any other type of building.

thanks a million ,yeah was lookin at this site but no price list that i could see.. trying to get some kind of turnkey prices on two or pref three bedroomed homes,,thanks

Advertisement