Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom User: Unable to access 1 particular site, please help!

• 27-06-2006 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Every week I download an MP3 podcast off this site http://www.podthralls.com

I went to the site this morning and got an error message, DNS server issues.
    I tried in work, also an Eircom broadband line & got the same.

Come home tonight, same problem, got onto Eircom tech support(went through the usual, clear history, cookies restart router, pc etc, ping other ip addresses & hostnames etc), they cant access it either but claim its the site is down.

I even tried installing firefox, i can look at all the other sites i visit but not this one

Here's the weird thing, I know the guys who run the site they're based in the USA, the site is running & they can see it, my friend who lives in Clondalkin & is on BT broadband can see the site no problems.

Since last week i haven't installed or removed any software or modified my machine.

Any ideas why this is happening, please?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It's not working here either, with Smart broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Have BT 3Mb....the site works fine for me!

It must be eircoms fault....given that it wont display on your work /home connection with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Workin' fine for me on BT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Eircom here, no joy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Just came back to this again!

BT...works fine
    Eircom.....blocked?

Ring those idiots in eircom up and demand an answer from a higher tier cutomer rep/supervisor!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Tried it on NTL lastnight and it seems fine, also trying it in work and its also fine (routed through US) perhaps they or their webhost https://www.libsyn.com have made some changes to the domain and the DNS changes haven't propagated fully yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

would changing your DNS server to BT's work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 paddymacwack

Maybe its something to do with the ip address you are being assigned, try using their proxy and see if that works- webcache.eircom.net port 82 I think it is - changing dns won't work at all as AFAIK BT only le ttheir customers use their dns servers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭✭event

zuma wrote:
    Just came back to this again!

BT...works fine
    Eircom.....blocked?

Ring those idiots in eircom up and demand an answer from a higher tier cutomer rep/supervisor!

:rolleyes:

Ok I can access the site from my eircom connection in work using 1 of the Indigo dns servers 194.125.133.11 - the other indigo dns server is 194.125.133.10 and its failing as is 159.134.237.6 - you can test this using an nslookup ...looks like the problem is that the dns proivder is - ns1.libsyn.com is blocking eircom's other dns servers - as they own Indigo you can you that as a work around.

To get the issue properly sorted I recommend you contact the site hostmaster of www.podthralls.com and get them to get their DNP to allow eircoms dns servers to query them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i used to work for eircom.net technical support many moons ago and they had a similar problem with a few websites.

the worst thing was that whether or not certain sites worked seemed to depend on what IP address you got assigned when you dialed up (before broadband had really taken off here).

i guess they never got around to sorting the problem permanently, surprise surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Well I changed my DNS to the first indigo ip address and it worked perfectly, thanks for that. Would have never thought of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭techie

Try using Eircom's new DNS servers: 213.94.190.194 and 213.94.190.236 as their old ones are giving customers trouble at the moment sporadically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Works fine here on BT.

vibe666 wrote:
    i used to work for eircom.net technical support many moons ago and they had a similar problem with a few websites.

the worst thing was that whether or not certain sites worked seemed to depend on what IP address you got assigned when you dialed up (before broadband had really taken off here).

i guess they never got around to sorting the problem permanently, surprise surprise.

I had the same problem before- I know somebody working for them and they told me the problem was due to a new block of IP's being assigned to them by Ripe - as the range had never been used before on the internet they were blocked by different ISP's incase of a DOS using spoofed ip's in those ranges. Problem wasn't on their end - my mate did find out where is was blocked for me and mailed the admin them asking to remove the block but never got a response - their proxy worked until I got a static ip from a different range from them

Advertisement