Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Psychotic Magpies

• 27-06-2006 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

Also, the local magpies have taken to taunting my cat and swooping over her. She's generally petrified (though she tries not to show it). She did manage to kill one once - maybe that's why they're trying to kill her? Are magpies vengeful?

As Marvin might say - what's going on?

Paul.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭AdrianR

They probably see the cat as a threat to their nest. I actually saw swallows doing something similar to my parents cat at the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

After years of bird watching and studying the behaviour of various species I have come to the following conclusion............................................................ Magpies are the skangers of the bird world!! :)

I still love watching their antics though!!

After years of bird watching and studying the behaviour of various species I have come to the following conclusion............................................................ Magpies are the skangers of the bird world!!

And starlings are the spanish students of the bird world!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭DilbertPartII

AdrianR wrote:
    And starlings are the spanish students of the bird world!!:D

And Spanish birds are the students of the western world!
    :D
    /Not drunk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

My cat has the same problem. The Magpies swoop when she is eating and she runs under the shed for cover. The magpies pick away at her food and then leave. I've seen one checky magpie literally taunt the cat.

Lately I reckon I've seen quite few young magpies about so I reckon things will get tougher for the cat next year!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

magpies are supposed to be quite aggressive, and are supposed to kill young birds (not sure if its true). I throw waste food to the birds and the magpies and crows have some real battles, trouble is small birds don't get a look in :(
    have seen swallows spook my cats loads of times swooping down close to and even clipping them on the head. Its mainly when they have young uns.

artieanna

and are supposed to kill young birds (not sure if its true)

Not sure about that but they will rob eggs from nests, I heard someone claim lately that he has no small birds around his house and he was blaming the magpies. 3 magpies appeared around my house about a month ago and the small birds are definately staying under cover. Not sure if I should take steps to get rid of them or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

They are aggressive but very clever birds. I feel that I'm always only one step ahead of them.

I have seen them attack smaller (and not so small) birds. I think though that they prefer internecine wars... I have actually watched a group attack and kill one of their own. It was vicious and brutal to see.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

I wouldn't get rid of them adrianr, don't know how you would!!??? I think they should be left alone to do whatever they are meant to do. They are a part of a system that we shouldn't interfere with. we do too much interfering as it is... And anyway they are attractive birds, ever notice the dark feathers how luminously coloured they are (like the neck of a bantom cock). The large crows are nasty enough to small birds and grey crows are even worse! A sheep farmer told me "young lambs or sick sheep are regularly attacked by grey crows, they pluck their eyes out:eek: ....now thats savage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

artieanna wrote:
    I wouldn't get rid of them adrianr, don't know how you would!!??? I think they should be left alone to do whatever they are meant to do. They are a part of a system that we shouldn't interfere with. we do too much interfering as it is... And anyway they are attractive birds, ever notice the dark feathers how luminously coloured they are (like the neck of a bantom cock). The large crows are nasty enough to small birds and grey crows are even worse! A sheep farmer told me "young lambs or sick sheep are regularly attacked by grey crows, they pluck their eyes out:eek: ....now thats savage...

I love watching magpies and they are indeed stunningly beautiful if you just stop and have a closer look. I love their natty little "vests" as well and the way they skip along. They are extremely clever birds. Sometimes when we're out feeding the ducks the ducks don't have any interest so we're left with a load of "just about to go off" bread so we leave some of it on the wall and walk away.. Literally 5 seconds later the magpies swoop down for the bread. Always watching, always waiting :eek: Then again, my fondness for magpies would probably dissipate if I ever saw them doing anything horrible to a smaller bird etc., but I never have strangely enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement