Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Former Juve player Pessotto falls from roof/window

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Yep saw that earlier, sounds like a suicide attempt.

from guardian
    Juventus team manager and former defender Gianluca Pessotto has been seriously injured after falling from a building at the club's headquarters.

"Gianluca suffered multiple fractures, but his life is not in danger," said Juventus spokesman Marco Girotto. It is unclear where exactly the 35-year-old fell from - early reports suggested he had fallen out of a second-floor window, but now it seems he may have fallen from the roof of the building. Club officials said they were unable to give details and were looking into all possibilities.

According to police sources, Pessotto was found clutching a rosary, having fallen around 15 metres to the ground, although they insisted it was still unclear what had happened.

Pessotto, who only retired at the end of last season after spending 11 seasons with Juventus, was taken to the Molinette hospital in Turin.

Italy captain and former Juve team-mate Fabio Cannavaro walked out of a national squad press conference this morning after hearing about the accident. "I'm shocked. 'Pessottino' is the nicest man on earth," said Cannavaro, while Marco Materazzi added: "He was here in Germany just the other day, what happened? He's a friend who must recover. We are all close to him."

After recently being assigned his new role after the club's entire board resigned in May, Pessotto had said: "It's an opportunity that allows me to start a new career and at the same time remain in contact with the team."

Juventus are currently facing charges relating to the massive match-fixing scandal rocking Italy. The scandal began last month with the publication of intecepted telephone conversations between former Juventus general manager Luciano Moggi and Italian Football Federation officials discussing refereeing appointments.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

yeah he ahs been depressed recently,was due to see his phsychiatrist today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Mad stuff. I remember him from his Juve days, very good player. Hope he recovers in body and mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

If you want to commit suicide, you fall from somewhere higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Italian diving is getting out of control.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

Pigman II wrote:
    no need for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Pigman II wrote:

there's always one inconsiderate ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

With this adding to all that is going on in Italian football I don't think they even need a manager to build themselves up now. Cannavaro will now want to win this WC for Pessotto and he'll make sure he has the players up for these games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Pigman II wrote:

Well done Pigman. Showing your true class there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I bet you all grinned.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

lads chill out,
    pigman made a joke, a good joke, nothing more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

PiE wrote:
    I bet you all grinned.

If your a 2 year old maybe you would have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

PiE wrote:
    I bet you all grinned.

As a huge fan of Serie A and having watched the man for years, not really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

When I first read this (started off in another thread) I thought that it was to do with all this match fixing etc but he is only in the job a wet week so I cant see him trying to kill himself cause of that.

He was suffering from depression so I reckon thats more than likely the reason why he jumped.

Alessandro Del Piero, Gianluca Zambrotta and assistant manager Ciro Ferrara left the Azzurri camp to visit Gianluca Pessotto, as more details emerge on his fall from a window.
    more...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

If it was a Man U player that tried to kill himself all jokes would result in banning from the bias Mods here !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Big Nelly wrote:
    If your a 2 year old maybe you would have
    I don't think a 2 year old would get the joke.

I Laughed

I laughed too, am I evil?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

mike65 wrote:
    I laughed too, am I evil?

Mike.

Yes, yes you are evil

Me strokes white pussy on lap...

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

^^ but thats definately immature!

or am i the only one who thinks that way :o

When Payne Stewart died in an aircrash someone quipped on a Channel 4 TV comedy review 'did he hit a birdy?' and there was outrage but I saw the giggle in that kind of black humour

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i Smiled slightly. fair enough its in bad taste, but people need to stop being so uptight and PC these days. Its not like it was said to the guys wife or anything.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I would have laughed but I was eating! Beware the PC brigade, careful now...

Get well soon Pessotto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

ah that was a good one now but still .... not good news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Get well soon Luca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Not a nice thing to happen, but take a joke lads. How many "leaving on a jet plane" jokes was there when John Denver died in the plane crash? All in jest I tells ya.

Alex Del Piero and Gigi Buffon lead a chorus of prayers for Gianluca Pessotto, as affection for the troubled Juve man also comes from France and Ukraine.

“Forza Pesso!” reads the message on Del Piero’s personal website today with a large photograph of the recently retired Juventus defender. “You have always been an example for me. We all need you and I’m waiting for your return.”

Bianconeri captain Del Piero, Gianluca Zambrotta and assistant manager Ciro Ferrara flew in to Turin in a private plane last night to see their beloved teammate, who is in hospital fighting for his life after an apparent suicide attempt in which he fell 15 metres on to parked cars from the roof of the Juventus headquarters.

Medical staff confirmed he nearly died on the operating table last night and that the situation remains critical. “Pessotto’s progress is normal, considering the extent of the trauma,” explained Ottavio Davini at 5pm UK time. “We can talk of stabilisation and a slight improvement, but I repeat that we cannot give him the all-clear before 72 hours have passed from the incident and complications can still arise.”

Pessotto, who retired this summer to become Juve’s new Team Manager and was suffering from depression, sustained multiple fractures to his pelvis, vertebrae and coccyx.

“To talk about football at a time like this is difficult, almost impossible,” noted Buffon on his blog. “My thoughts go to my companion in so many battles and good friend Luca Pessotto, as well as his wife Reana and their children. Zambrotta and Del Piero went to visit and brought back comforting news for us here in Germany, as we were anxiously awaiting developments. Luca will win the most difficult match of his career and his life. He’s a fighter and a moment of weakness cannot cancel the temperance of a man so strong in his principles.”

The atmosphere in the Azzurri camp in Duisburg is solemn and shocked ahead of Friday’s quarter-final with the Ukraine. “We’ll play our next game for him. It won’t be easy to get over this shock, but it’s another reason to get a great result and dedicate it to him. Everyone loved him in this sport, teammates and opponents, so perhaps this little gesture can in the long run help him to get back on his feet.”

Messages of support have come from all over the World Cup fraternity. “So many people love Pessotto because he is a wonderful man. We all feel very close to his family and to the Azzurri,” noted Ukrainian Andriy Shevchenko.

“I am truly sorry to hear what has happened. I, Lilian Thuram and David Trezeguet have him in our thoughts. We hope everything can turn out alright for him and his family so that he can soon come back to us,” said Juventus midfielder Patrick Vieira.

“I was very touched by this event, because Gianluca is a good man and I always got on well with him when we were at Juve,” added Thuram.
    http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jun28m.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

BolBill wrote:
    If it was a Man U player that tried to kill himself all jokes would result in banning from the bias Mods here !

Come on Bolbill, keep up, we are not biased in favour of man u, it is Liverpool. :rolleyes: You remind me of those people on the pitch who wave the pretend card at the ref trying to get a man sent off. Report the post or quit your damn whinging.

Pigman II, banned for a week.

PC brigade is here..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

i laughed 3- am i very evil??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

PC brigade is here..
    Wow, is that for real or are you joking?

Banned for saying "Italian diving is getting out of control"?
    Does that fall under "personal abuse" or "disruptive influence" or does the charter need to be amended to bring in "soccer jokes made in bad taste" ?

Back on topic
    I find it very hard to believe the Juventus line that this has nothing to do with the current scandal but all to do with his depression and personal issues. I know in all likelihood he can't have been thinking clearly, but still I believe if this had nothing to do with the Juventus scandal, then he would have chosen somewhere else to jump from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

mike65 wrote:
    Me strokes white pussy on lap...

Mike.
    you lucky sod:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Wow, is that for real or are you joking?

Banned for saying "Italian diving is getting out of control"?
    Does that fall under "personal abuse" or "disruptive influence" or does the charter need to be amended to bring in "soccer jokes made in bad taste" ?

If he'd cracked a joke about Hillsborough or Munich would anyone raise an objection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

I just don't feel it was right to crack a joke when the man is fighting for his life

In other news Juventus found guilty of match fixing

Come on Bolbill, keep up, we are not biased in favour of man u, it is Liverpool. :rolleyes: You remind me of those people on the pitch who wave the pretend card at the ref trying to get a man sent off. Report the post or quit your damn whinging.

PC brigade is here..

Yeah of course you are :)

Hope he gets better soon, I was a fan of his as a player, reliable across the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

If he'd cracked a joke about Hillsborough or Munich would anyone raise an objection?
    Interesting that you think that those tragic events where innocent people lost their lives is comparable to a guy throwing himself off a building and failing to kill himself. The latter is sad, but im my opinion bears no comparision to the other two. But thats all opinions and not really the point. I was just wondering what rule pigman broke....

Someone raising an objection doesnt (or shouldnt anyway) mean an automatic ban. Some people report posts not because they find something objectionable, but because they see an opportunity to get someone they dont like banned, so they feign objection. As we all know its very hard for refs to deal with those who dive and cheat :D :mad: (although you'd think statistical evidence should highlight it)

Interesting that you think that those tragic events where innocent people lost their lives is comparable to a guy throwing himself off a building and failing to kill himself.
    tbf, we don't know if he failed to kill himself. As of now he's still in a critical condition.

eirebhoy wrote:
    tbf, we don't know if he failed to kill himself. As of now he's still in a critical condition.

For the record, his injuries aren't thought to be life threatening.

Get well soon mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Interesting that you think that those tragic events where innocent people lost their lives is comparable to a guy throwing himself off a building and failing to kill himself.

We don't know the guy threw himself. Even if we did, its still a sad and tragic thing to happen, IMO attempted suicide ain't that funny.

BolBill wrote:
    For the record, his injuries aren't thought to be life threatening.

Get well soon mate.
    http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jun29f.html

“We can’t say that he will get through this”

Maybe they're just lying on the side of caution though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

"Gianluca suffered multiple fractures, but his life is not in danger," said Juventus spokesman Marco Girotto

It was a funny joke, bloody hell...

Anyway, was Pessotto involved in the match-fixing, or what? When will we find that out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

he isnt involved acording to the BBC website.

Hope he survives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

I thought it was an excellent joke. Probably one of the funniest and best timed jokes i've read in a long time.

However, the fun police are in town....

I feel the ban was deserved, if say, Ryan giggs crashed his car at 100mph and was in the same condition and then someone said somehting like "haha, first time he used his speed in years rofllamo!!!" you'd all be whinging like children.

The man is fightng for his life, has been depressed since before christmas and made a bad decision.

It is comparable to hislborugh and Munich in that is a tragedy that is affecting not just a man, or his family but it is affecting a a club, a national team and a whole footballing nation!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Seaneh wrote:
    I feel the ban was deserved, if say, Ryan giggs crashed his car at 100mph and was in the same condition and then someone said somehting like "haha, first time he used his speed in years rofllamo!!!" you'd all be whinging like children.

The man is fightng for his life, has been depressed since before christmas and made a bad decision.

It is comparable to hislborugh and Munich in that is a tragedy that is affecting not just a man, or his family but it is affecting a a club, a national team and a whole footballing nation!

OR

he's just someone that jumped out of a window, is in hospital recovering, and the joke was just a joke. i chuckled, then 2 seconds later forgot it.

Quite so.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

What a stupid ban.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Seaneh wrote:

I laughed at that!

But enough about the joke...

What was he depressed about? It's not often you hear about footballers attempting suicide, is it? hmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

CiaranC wrote:
    What a stupid ban.
    What a pointless post......

DaveMcG wrote:
    I laughed at that!

But enough about the joke...

What was he depressed about? It's not often you hear about footballers attempting suicide, is it? hmmm.

His wife has said that the realisation over the last season that he couldnt play football at the level he wanted to anymore, and having to retire because of that has made him very depressed, some Juve players had said he wasn't his normal self the last few months as well.

Add the pressure of becoming General Manager at Juve last month ontop of that and other "personal" stuff we don't know about and it's not unimagianable that somehting like this could happen.

I find it extreamly sad, he was one of the most liked and looked up to players in Italian football for the last 10 years I really hope the doctors can stop the internal bleeding and Luca can pull through it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement