Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope Advice

Options
  • 27-06-2006 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

anyone got advice on best scopes to use lamping foxes.
    I,ve got a tikka t3 .223 and mounted a simmons prohunter 6-18x40 on it,paid 300 euro for scope in midland dealers and thought it would be a good one ,disgusted to find same model for sale on american web sites for 70-80 dollars and considered a poor scope there.I find low light performance very poor even at lowest mag and eye position very critical resulting in delay finding targets in lamp beam,
    So not a happy hunter at the moment
    Are scope prices just another example of rip off Ireland ? I mean if I,d paid 100 euro for it and found problems then fair enough but 300 would buy a nice zeiss or leupold in usa.
    Anyone have experience of buying scopes on the net,and what,s the position with customs,warranties,etc
    I got a little 4x32 leupold (second hand) on my cz .22 scout and find it brighter than the simmons

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Get the best, Schmidt & Bender, the 8 x 56 model is the ultimate lamping scope. Pricey, but well worth it and will last you a lifetime.
    Link below:

http://www.schmidtbender.com/scopes_fixed.shtml

Billy Kelly, firearms dealer in Wexford, is doing a great deal at the moment on the 8 x 56 model.

Attachment below, shows my sucsess with this scope, mine is the 3-12 x 50.
    Keelan.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭thelurcher

I got a Simmons WTC18 6.5-20 x 50WA A/O 3 years back for the 22 - fine scope for the price (€130 incl shipping) - got it from the US and wasn't caught for customs - really good in low light and on the lamp. Has taken a few knocks out hunting but still is in perfect condition mechanically.
    Only down side is that it's long and heavy.

Just bought a Leupold from the US and made a serious saving on what I'd be charged here (> €250 incl shipping - and that's taking the average UK online price).
    Go with the smaller US dealers - not the likes of Cabelas (don't think they ship scopes internationally anyway).
    USPS Global Express is the only way to ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I've purchased a couple of items (scope + binoculars) from Jon & Tammi Jackoviak, at The Optic Zone.
    www.theopticzone.com

Excellent friendly service, and all done above board as regards export licences, etc.

Here's their response to my shipping enquiry-
    Shipping via US Global Express Mail would be $42.20. Before we can ship a scope to Ireland, by US Law, we must apply for an export license. This process is free of charge and typically takes 2-3 weeks for processing. If you have any other questions, just let us know.
    They also charge 2% on international credit cards.

My last order with them took exactly a month from order to delivery, including about 2 weeks of explaining the absence of ZIP codes in Ireland to the U.S. Commerce Department :rolleyes:

Seem like a good enough company in that they don't charge for getting the export license.
    But to be honest I couldn't give a toss if the dealers don't meet every legal requirement in their country - US law is not my concern.

Their prices are not great though e.g. 1st binoculars I looked at are $116 cheaper on the site I dealt with and all the scopes 40 to 50 $ cheaper. Since you're going 'above board' you're going to have to pay customs in Ireland as well - after the 2% cc charge and a 4 week wait for a scope it's hardly worth the effort!

I got my Leupold for half nothing in less than a week - I'll struggle through the guilt eventually :rolleyes:

Sorry Rovi ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

lurcher what site did you order from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭marlin

thanks for help guys,
    Lurcher you,ve got to give me the name of that site .
    think I,ll have to save a little for one of the schmidt and bender scopes keelan,
    nice foxes by the way what,s ur rifle?

Only Leupold at the site I'm on about - will send PM with details.

Probably best not to put it up on public forum especially when I'm after writing that there's a chance they broke some ridicilous law.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

marlin wrote:
    thanks for help guys,
    Lurcher you,ve got to give me the name of that site .
    think I,ll have to save a little for one of the schmidt and bender scopes keelan,
    nice foxes by the way what,s ur rifle?

Its a CZ 527 .223, fantastic rifle for the money.
    Keelan.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

Any chance you could pm me the details of that site too Lurcher ? I've just bought a Leupold but want to get another one. I got a 3x9x33 EFR. Cost 290 euro incl shipping. All the sites I've checked out were in around same price. Would be grateful if you let me know.

Cheers

Advertisement