Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 hour downtime on most servers tomorrow

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

FFS!

2/3 bosses done for Warlords command and then I can never step foot in LBRS again.

A message: Server shutdown in 15:00 has me a little concerned, but we're right at the boss anyway, so I'm thinking, no worries.

The a few seconds later my client just freezes and I'm thinking "Woah, bad lag" Then back to login screen. Log in and it says I have to download a patch. Ok I figure, some little hotfix, no probs. Downloads the file and then runs blizzard updater. Now I'm really starting to panic, but I get a message saying this update is for version 1.10 but I'm running 1.11...

Of course this means each time I try to log in, it just downloads the same patch and tries to apply it.

WTF blizzard. ARGH, this has annoyed me now more than anything else blizzard have ever done. And at one stage I was told they had canceled Starcraft Ghost indefinitely!

grrr...

[edit]
    Error message

This update does not need to be applied. It requires version 1.10.2.5302 of "WoW.exe", but you already have version 1.11.0.5428.

[/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It scares me and pisses me off at the same time, its a great incentive to NEVER touch this game...

Eh... Every MMORPG I've played has been the same. After a while people just start using acronyms and shorthand when talking to each other. Just like in real life where jargon is used by almost every profession and hobby....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

nesf wrote:
    Eh... Every MMORPG I've played has been the same. After a while people just start using acronyms and shorthand when talking to each other. Just like in real life where jargon is used by almost every profession and hobby....

Iv seen to many good people become zombies becuase of this bloody game and other games like it, its not healthy imo, the crazy slang is just an extra incentive to not play it as i said. I guess it depends on the individual, but would you say this game is overly addictive?

Iv seen to many good people become zombies becuase of this bloody game and other games like it, its not healthy imo, the crazy slang is just an extra incentive to not play it as i said. I guess it depends on the individual, but would you say this game is overly addictive?

Overly addictive? Tbh, I don't find it any more or less addictive than any other MMORPG I've played, the biggest difference is that this game is very mainstream so there are an awful lot of people playing it that have never played an MMORPG before so it makes the game look a lot worse than it is. MMORPGs (well most) are addictive by their nature, in that any game where you are constantly grinding away for xp, item, reputation etc will tend to be addictive. It's very easy to fall into cycles.

But personally I find it amusing. I've been far more addicted to other games, Sim City where I'd be constantly running over possible solutions to traffic/layout problems all day long. I lost weeks upon weeks of college and school work to games like Civilisation, Warcraft I, II & III, Rise of Nations etc. The only thing that keeps me interested longer in MMORPGs is the social element. It's not a solo experience and I really enjoy that. I spend most of my time on MMORPGs chatting away to people, logging into one sometimes feels similar to logging into MSN (a much more expensive version of course!).

It's perfectly possible to play this game and not get addicted and it's also possible for a heavy user to look as if they were addicted but in fact were not in the real sense of the word. The thing is dependant on what time the game gets. If you are replacing time you'd normally spend sitting blank faced in front of the television with playing a MMORPG then I really cannot see a problem. If you are persistently replacing time you should be spending with friends/family/loved-ones with the game then yes you may have a problem and need to take a break and look at things honestly.

All that said, give me 3/4 hours of WoW over 3/4 hours of sitting in front of a TV watching crap soap operas and "reality" TV. I don't think the latter is any more healthy than the former tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

nesf wrote:
    All that said, give me 3/4 hours of WoW over 3/4 hours of sitting in front of a TV watching crap soap operas and "reality" TV. I don't think the latter is any more healthy than the former tbh.
    QFT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

nesf wrote:

I agree mate!!

Basicially it works out as

RL>WoW>TV

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

That's my way of doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,585 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

nesf wrote:
    Never a truer word spoken.

I've even been criticised for playing this game for hours on end by housemates who do nothing but slouch in front of the TV or computer watching downloaded episodes of Married With Children and One Tree Hill :confused:

I've even been criticised for playing this game for hours on end by housemates who do nothing but slouch in front of the TV or computer watching downloaded episodes of Married With Children and One Tree Hill :confused:

I've been critised for being online by flatmates in the past. Apparently I should be social and go out and watch soaps with them....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

nesf wrote:
    I've been critised for being online by flatmates in the past. Apparently I should be social and go out and watch soaps with them....
    Reminds me of the times my mother used to tell me I was being very rude by reading a book at dinner, while the rest of them were watching Coronation Street.

• Advertisement

Reminds me of the times my mother used to tell me I was being very rude by reading a book at dinner, while the rest of them were watching Coronation Street.

Yeah, I've never understood how watching soaps with a person is a "social event". To each their own and all that, but it's odd how these people seem to take it as a given truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

nesf wrote:
    Yeah, I've never understood how watching soaps with a person is a "social event". To each their own and all that, but it's odd how these people seem to take it as a given truth.
    You've clearly never watched soaps with your average Hello! reader. There's little watching going on, and more talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Ivan wrote:
    FFS!

2/3 bosses done for Warlords command and then I can never step foot in LBRS again.

A message: Server shutdown in 15:00 has me a little concerned, but we're right at the boss anyway, so I'm thinking, no worries.
    :D

Given that I've finished WLC I found the whole thing pretty funny. Just at the last guy, people been going "Thank God finally gonna finish this lousy quest etc." - Server goes ker-splatt 10 seconds after the 15 minute warning. First thought "Teehee Sou is going to be so pissed off."

seamus wrote:
    You've clearly never watched soaps with your average Hello! reader. There's little watching going on, and more talking.

Very true, but then I don't hang around with Hello! watchers generally.

Advertisement