Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have France awoken from a 6 year slumber?

• 27-06-2006 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Have France awoken from a 6 year slumber?

They looked a different team tonight to the team for qualifying and the group stages.

Discuss.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

The majority know its their last chance,they always had the ability , it was all about the attitude. i wouldnt be suprised if they went on to win it now,but brazil are getting back to their best (in their attacking anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

France always had an excellent defence, it was as a creative side that they have declined over the last few years.
    People forget they were unbeaten in qualifying.
    They did well tonight but I thought Spain were very naive and played right into their hands.
    Spain had very little width and they ran out of ideas.
    Brazil will be a much tougher nut to crack plus Brazil are experienced at this level unlike Spain.
    It will be an intriguing match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

France suprised me tonight and I think they may have a better chance of beating Brazil than Spain. They will be the most confident they probably ever have been under Dominech after that win. Brazil will find it tough to score against them and it is really a tough match to call.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

France surprised everyone, including the French.

Though I must admit, everyone is full of smiles here at work this morning and even a couple of people smiled to me on the metro (usually means that someone is about to rob you) :)

They've always had the players but ever the right attitude. Internal problems between Zidane and Henry haven't helped either but even if they go out this weekend they've shown that there are capable of winning now and again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

Ponster wrote:
    Though I must admit, everyone is full of smiles here at work this morning and even a couple of people smiled to me on the metro (usually means that someone is about to rob you) :)

have you checked if your fly is open? toilet paper stuck to your shoe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

People forget they were unbeaten in qualifying.
    But so were the Swiss, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Holland, S&M & Croatia, but I take your point.

France were great last and that last goal by Kilbane was top class. As has been said already, it's always the attitude of the French that decides whether or not they win cos they've certainly got the players to win any match. Ribery was very impressive too. Very hungry for the ball. I liked that bit where he took the ball off Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

evilhomer wrote:
    Have France awoken from a 6 year slumber? They looked a different team tonight to the team for qualifying and the group stages. Discuss.

No, France, whilst playing better last night are not now world beaters. I expect them to have difficulties in upcoming games and I do NOT expect them to win the WC.

Spain, if anything, were found out last night. The game was very evenly balanced at 83 mins, when the Viera goal was scored. Up to that point, Spain had a few chances, France had a few chances. If it was a boxing match, France would have been ahead on points. But that goal changed the game, and lets be clear, that goal was on the fortutitous side, Alonso's header could have gone anywhere, Viera's header could have rebounded off the defenders knee and out, etc.

But thats football. France deserve the win. The 3rd goal was only scored as Spain risked all, as they had to, to try and get back into the match. But dont let that gloss, which was immaterial in the grand scheme of things, fool you. Zidane would not have scored a goal like this if the match was at 0-0.

Spain were naive in their defence. Ribery's goal was excellent. For a second I thought the backs on the line would get it. Its good to see a new player coming to the fore. I think even Arsenal fans are bored to the back teeth of seeing Henry slotting them in!

France in the top-8, well done. They made it hard for themselves as they should have been playing Ukraine instead of the Swiss. But this last-8 stage is where I expect France to bow out.

At least they can now bow out with pride, and of course, anything can happen in a football match. It will be Brazil's sternest test to date. A single goal may be all thats needed and it could come just like Viera's last night. The French have nothing to lose and being 'underdogs' may suit them. But Brazil are very dangerous.

It should be a good match. So should Germany v Argentina.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

France are like Arsenal tbh.. Put them against an average side who set out to prevent them playing and just kick the **** out of them and they don't know what to do. Put them against a side that want to play football and France are a different team. Last night showed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Brazil will be a much tougher nut to crack plus Brazil are experienced at this level unlike Spain.
    It will be an intriguing match.

Brazil's defence is very very frail so i wouldn't be too surprised if France beat them, however it all depends how well Brazil play. France have a top notch defence and a very solid midfield so it'll be interesting. If they put in a performance like the one yesterday and Brazil play like they've been playing all the time then i'd say they'll win it. However it'll be decided on the day.

ZZ played a blinder yesterday though, his vision and passing were supreme once again, hope he keeps it up (as i've France in a draw at work! :D)
    Red Spider wrote:
    No, France, whilst playing better last night are not now world beaters. I expect them to have difficulties in upcoming games and I do NOT expect them to win the WC.

I don't expect it either but if that performance gives them momentum, who knows? I'd say on their day they definately have the capability of beating any side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

France's midfield only looked good cause they packed it, made it a five man midfield, with Henry up front on his own. This resulted in their attack being utter ****e. In order to threaten the Brazilian defense (which is nowhere near as weak as is made out) they need either pure magic from Zidane, or else to bring on another attacker. Since Dominich is set on Trez or Wiltord, this extra attacker won't do anything. In conclusion, France aren't good enough on the attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Brazil to beat France.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

PHB wrote:
    France's midfield only looked good cause they packed it, made it a five man midfield, with Henry up front on his own. This resulted in their attack being utter ****e.

But yet France were much better at attacking than Spain who had many gifted attackers on the pitch. I would hardly call that utter ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭samb

France Vs Brazil will be the most interesting encounter yet. I am hoping that Henry and Ribery can cause serous problems for Carlos. With Ronaldo kicking into gear however there could be danger for both defences. The ageing galactico's on both teams could be crucial.

Advertisement