Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to call country 'Éire Ireland'

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

If Gaelic football is correctly called "PEIL" then why dont we call it that???

I have never heard Peil used in the media, and as for EIRE we tend to give the Brits a hard time if they call Ireland "EIRE" but then we put Eire on our stamps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

And, irredentism aside, the UK province of Northern Ireland is not?

Not what?

Northern Ireland is a constiturent part of the UK.....what is your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

ArthurF wrote:
    I have never heard Peil used in the media, and as for EIRE we tend to give the Brits a hard time if they call Ireland "EIRE" but then we put Eire on our stamps!

I don't get this "giving the Brits a hard time" thing. If some Brits use the term in a derogatory way (and tbh I don't think most of them mean it negatively), that's their problem tbh. The Irish for Ireland is Éire, hence the stamps! What next? Patricks shouldn't shorten their names to Paddy because it has been used as an insult in Britain at times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

zuma wrote:
    Not what?

Northern Ireland is a constiturent part of the UK.....what is your point?
    I commented that a number of places have been referred to in terms of East/West or North/South, such as Korea or Germany. Your response was that this was because “they were/are completely separate political entities”, which makes no sense as, irredentism aside, so are Southern and Northern Ireland. Hope that clarifies it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

How many things wrong are there with this..?!
    http://www.plates4less.co.uk/irish-number-plates.asp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

LOL! Its a catalogue of outrage.
    Many of our customers are surprised that these Northern Irish plates can be transferred to UK mainland vehicles whereas those from Eire (or Southern Ireland) cannot. This is because Northern Ireland forms part of the United Kingdom and Southern Ireland is a separate European country with its own separate vehicle licensing system.

Ya couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

I know. It's actually embarrassing.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Old thread is old.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement