Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QJ.net Quote: 2.60 Firmware Exploit Found - Kernel Access!

• 28-06-2006 2:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭

Yes folks, this is quite huge!

I never quite thought I'd see the day when firmware 2.60 has the potential to offer more homebrew capabilities than dare I say it fw1.0 right through to 2.5 :o

Although I feel it will be some time until I am sitting with a 2.60 psp in my hands (currently 1.50 and 2.50 with the flick of a switch, thank you Devhook!) Think about it, kernel access on the second most recent firmware available... play a selection of UMD's that would quite simply not be possible on any other firmware. Enjoy an internet browser with flash, while still being able to play your snes/gens/beats of rage etc.

To be fair there is a fair amount of noobishness on the comments on that page, and if you venture through the qj psp forums it is even worse, but needless to say this is a fairly bright time to have a psp with the likes of devhook and undiluted platinum, especially for those who have took the jump and updated, especially those who regretted doing so!

I have to say having a psp without this development was my only reason for not upgrading, and while I'm not making any rush updates, its defiantly a possibility I never thought I'd consider.

I will also point out that as difficult this is to believe, the story isn’t fake as ps2nfo.com and psp-hacks.com are both carrying the same info.

Also on one final note, will Sony ever bring out a hack proof firmware? I'll hopefully be buying the new syphon filter and sfa very soon if this takes off.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Yea, was reading this.

Its a very interesting development. Seeing as though Fanjita is suppose to be working on getting stuff with it it appears to be legit. Lovely work to hitchhikr on discovering it if indeed he can get it to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

I'll bet the lads who created the unlimited platinium are just over the moon with this new developement, especially as it shortly followed Devhook:rolleyes:

Still though, this is great news for the psp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Where are they with 2.01? Can you downgrade yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

skywalker wrote:
    Where are they with 2.01? Can you downgrade yet?

may as well upgrade if they've accessed the kernel. this means a whole world of possibilities for homebrew... and a whole world of pain for some poor programmer in sony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

modchip looks better anyway, the whole gta loader sounds like a pain.
    but fair decue on 2.6 kernel access. amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Modchip looks like a professional only install though. How much is the chip on its own?

But the mod-chip isn't free. Plus if your psp's fooked then sony won't know if you use the softmod instead of the chip(provided you're not stupid enough tto leave the memory card in)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

may as well upgrade if they've accessed the kernel. this means a whole world of possibilities for homebrew... and a whole world of pain for some poor programmer in sony.

But without upgrading, where are they with 2.01?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

No where. Doubt they worked on it after 2.5+ were released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

sorry to be a complete noob on the whole PSP front but i am seriously thinking of getting a psp since im working and can finally afford to but one.

so is it safe to but a psp with 2.6 firmware? all my friends that own a psp stuipdly upgrade much so sonys enjoyment and my other friends with older firmware dont hack their psps anymore really.

i was thinking of getting a new psp and then getting the modchip once a few modders pop up. so would this be recommended or should i just use this hack?

sorry to ask so many stupid questions but i dont really understand the whole process as i dont own one so if someone can point me in the direction of a walk through guide from going to a brand new 2.6 PSP to a complete hacked version it would be much appreciated

cheers

• Advertisement

Well the problem with the mod-chip is that there's no comeback really and the fact that it cost money(a lot of money). With the hack it is much easier to use, just put the right things in the right folders.

If you are planning on hacking i would wait for a week or two and see how the hack will pan out. Being run through e-loader it would require a copy of gta to run. Both options have their merrits but i personally would go fot the hack over the mod-chip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

There is now a downgrader in the works, as far as I can tell there have been a few successfull downgrades but mostly bricked psp's. I do think this will be sorted out very soon though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭blocparty

anyonw know what firmware the ones in the shops are running? surely they cant be more than 2.5 or so? can someone please point me in the direction of a walkthrough?

what are the best sites for downgrading and hacking?

blocparty wrote:
    anyonw know what firmware the ones in the shops are running? surely they cant be more than 2.5 or so? can someone please point me in the direction of a walkthrough?

what are the best sites for downgrading and hacking?

my little brother just got a ceramic white psp and it's 2.6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭That Guy 901

Good site for n00bs with the psp, is www.psprevolution.net. Have a look at the forums there!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭juanjo

ok, the working downgrader for psp's up to 2.6 firmware version works only if the psp motherboard is not a ta-082. There's a way to find out without voiding the warranty, and it's opening the umd cover. and this downgrader is working on most of the cases (they say 100% if you meet the requeriments and follow the steps carefully). i've done it and now i have a nice 1.5

turn the psp over and open the umd reader. If you see the letters ic1003 upside down at the right hand side then it's a ta-082 and it won't work. if u see another number or nothing, then u can downgrade.

ta82spot.jpg

you need to have a 2.5 or 2.6 firm (u need to update if u have a 2.01, like me) and then u need a 1.5 firmware dump. besides u need GTA:lcs and the gta eloader. there's an eboot around to perform the downgrader.

I even downloaded an executable that does everything for you and tells you what to do and so, the problem is that is in spanish.

good luck with it, i can tell u that it works!!

i'm not opening up my psp for the sake of playing sonic 2...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

you don't have to, it should say it when you open the UMD door. Does anyone know why the provided password for the winrar file isn't working for me?

juanjo wrote:
    oand then u need a 1.5 firmware dump

I may be wrong but i would make sure that a dump can be used and not the full eboot. That was how some people bricked when they downgraded from v2.0, they used a dump instead of a full eboot. I could be wrong as i say but i would make sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Spuddie

I had a 2.1 , then ugraded to 2.5 , then used the new 2.5 downgrader and now i have a great 1.5 !!!:D The new 2.5/2.6 downgraders have to be the greatest ever news for all 2.01+ owners.:D Its pretty easy to do , as long as your able to follow instructions correctly.

ps.The 1.5 dump was included with the 2.5 downgrader that i downloaded .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Is it really worth it to downgrade? Do the EMUs run alot better on 1.5? and is there anything apart from EMUs that make downgrading worth it?

yeah i got it working too, really is easy if you follow the instructions to the letter. Aside from emulators you can run ISOs of games (you legally own) off the memory card, provided it's big enough.

or off the computer as well, you can use devhook to run iso's from your pc through USB.

and for 4xcut, no, this time you use the dump itself, unlike in 2.0, where u used the 1.5 update. And the main reason of bricked psp's, generally talking is not knowing exactly what u have to do. I have done the 2 of them without any problems.

the bad thing about the dump, it is illegal to have it posted in the internet, so you have to have someone (with a 1.5 psp) to get it for you first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Snes9x runs much faster for me on 1.5 than on 2.01+GTA exploit, as afaik on 2.01 it could not process the audio using the psp's dedicated sound hardware, and had to use the cpu for time-expensive sample rate conversion work.

juanjo wrote:
    or off the computer as well, you can use devhook to run iso's from your pc through USB.
    I didn't know that, can you send me a link to a tutorial or something? obviously nowhere with roms or anything though. Thanks

install devhook 0.43 in ur psp (preferably on a blank mem card). unzip the usbhostfs and psp driver pack in ur pc. u have to store the iso(s) u wanna play through usb in the ISO folder that appears where usbhostfs is. turn on devhook and the pc will detect the psp, and will request to install drivers. guide the installation where the drivers are (in the "driver" folder that comes in the usbhostfs pack). Once done double click on usbhostfs.exe, will open an MS-DOS window at it'll say connected. Now you can go to devhook and in UMD select you will se the iso's you have in the ISO folder. run them as usual.

usbhostfs program and psp driver pack: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U4DVEU2F

devhook 0.43 usb enabled (from a spanish site, so the firmware emulations might appear in spanish):
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/t75mdh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

2.71 now cracked. Thats all firmwares now emulated under devhook 11oneeleven!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

sony = pwnt.

devhook 0.44 released. 2.71 firmware emulated, support for usb, screenshots and more.

(firmware 3.0 must be around the corner...)

• Advertisement
Advertisement