Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unbiased account of the entire history of Israel

Options
  • 28-06-2006 5:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

Jews will tell you one thing and Muslims another and when you're hearing it you know that they're are biased and what they're saying is probably not true. I want to read an unbiased account of the history of israel so I can decide for myself whose land it is and whose it isn't. Can anyone recommend a book?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

gnashrr wrote:
    Jews will tell you one thing and Muslims another and when you're hearing it you know that they're are biased and what they're saying is probably not true. I want to read an unbiased account of the history of israel so I can decide for myself whose land it is and whose it isn't. Can anyone recommend a book?

I think you're being simplistic in your approach. I know quite a few Jewish journalists (and some are actually Israeli, some even write for Ha'retz) who are quite critical of the Israeli government and think the land wasn't theirs to take in the first place. I also know Arab "journalists" who are flacks for AIPAC and other such pro-Zionist groups.
    I read somewhere that the majority of Jewish Americans don't support the occupation of Palestine.
    Besides that I'd suggest starting with googling UNSC Resolution 242 and do some research yourself. You'll probably come across some interesting books in that search.
    I'd recommend reading Robert Fisk...and independent journalist who actually lives in the Middle East.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

I'd recommend reading Robert Fisk...and independent journalist who actually lives in the Middle East.

Fitting Robert Fisk in with the unbiased criteria of the original poster may be a bit of a task.

Everything is biased in one way or another. Best way to overcome bias is to read around as much as possible

Thomas Friedman's "From Beirut to Jerusalem" is a good read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

sovtek wrote:
    I read somewhere that the majority of Jewish Americans don't support the occupation of Palestine.

Just out of curiosity where did you read that ?

To the OP I would also recommend Fisk, and in addition Norman Finkelstein.

One thing I would say is if your looking for a clear, sane and rational assessment steer clear of anything by alan dershowitz.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭RedPlanet

I caught the end of some Discovery Channel documentary about some famous archeological site in Israel that was originally heralded as "proof" that the Jews did infact inhabit the land there before the Arabs.
    However, upon scutiny, all the art on the pottery and things ultimately suggested that the folks living there Arab and Jew were from the same lot and not 2 distinct peoples at all, ie: shared the same ancestery.

civdef wrote:
    Fitting Robert Fisk in with the unbiased criteria of the original poster may be a bit of a task.

Fitting anyone in as unbiased is doomed to failure. People are always going to be biased...I thought that I implied that you were better off trying to find different sources and make up your own mind. Sorry if that didn't come through.

Morlar wrote:
    Just out of curiosity where did you read that ?

To the OP I would also recommend Fisk, and in addition Norman Finkelstein.

One thing I would say is if your looking for a clear, sane and rational assessment steer clear of anything by alan dershowitz.

I can't remember otherwise would have given a link. I think it might possibly be from a Chomsky book.

RedPlanet wrote:
    I caught the end of some Discovery Channel documentary about some famous archeological site in Israel that was originally heralded as "proof" that the Jews did infact inhabit the land there before the Arabs.
    However, upon scutiny, all the art on the pottery and things ultimately suggested that the folks living there Arab and Jew were from the same lot and not 2 distinct peoples at all, ie: shared the same ancestery.

Discovery also paid for some hack to find Nefertiti.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nefertiti

Everything is biased in one way or another. Best way to overcome bias is to read around as much as possible

Thomas Friedman's "From Beirut to Jerusalem" is a good read

But beware Friedman coined the phrase "Give War a Chance"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I want to read an unbiased account of the history of israel so I can decide for myself whose land it is and whose it isn't. Can anyone recommend a book?

You could try Indymedia for a radical passionate telling of the truth....

Seriously though, anyone who goes to the bother of writing a book on something like Israel/Palestine does so to examine events, to provide context and then to draw conclusions. Oh - and to convince you their conclusions are right. So if they have to exaggerate, downplay, ignore or misrepresent to do so - they will.

What youre looking for in a plain setting out of a timeline so you can draw your own conclusions. I dont think that sort of thing really sells tbh in the era of Moore, Chomsky, Limbaugh and that other blonde one .... whatever her name is.

My advice is dont look for a book - for the reasons given above - simply search out factual information, preferably not focused on Israel or Palestine, and steer miles and miles clear of anything that turns into a one sided political tirade against one side or the other. Very difficult to find a non-political information source on the region, but if you can piece together scraps youll do alright.
    I know quite a few Jewish journalists (and some are actually Israeli, some even write for Ha'retz) who are quite critical of the Israeli government
    I also know Arab "journalists" who are flacks for AIPAC and other such pro-Zionist groups.

I guess their credentials depend on which side theyre on...
    Or maybe its just Arabs cant be real journalists like Israelis can.

Does that imply they support the destruction of Israel then seeing as Hamas, the representitives of the Palestinian people claim Palestine is the entire area, including Israel proper? Probably depends on how the question is phrased I guess.
    But beware Friedman coined the phrase "Give War a Chance"

Good for him?

Advertisement