Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding Wireless to Chorus Broadband

• 28-06-2006 7:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hey,
    I am trying to add a wireless Router to a friends Chorus Cable Broadand Service and am having issues :-). The laptop communicates with the Buffalo Router no probs but the Chorus Modem does not seem to pass its Internet IP onto the WAN port of the Router at all. Obviously when I plug the laptop into the Chorus MOdem it functions perfectly. Anyone attempted this and succeded? OR can anyone tell whether this is even possible.

Thanks in advance

John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Could be a MAC Cloning issue. Disconnect modem from power for 10 mins, then plug it into router. If that fails get router to clone mac address of laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 baggyboy

Cheers irlrobins. I will give that a go. How would I go about cloning MAC address of laptop on router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Depends on the model of router, but there should be a page on the web config where you enter the mac address of the laptop.

However, turning off the modem for 10 mins should release the ip assigned to laptop mac address and when you connect it to router it will assign ip to it's mac address.

In fact just to be safe, before you disconnect modem from laptop, do a "ipconfig /release" command in the command prompt on laptop, disconnect laptop from modem, switch off modem for 10 mins, then connect router to it and power back on.

Advertisement