Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tax renewal question

Options
  • 28-06-2006 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭

In the post yesterday I got a 'Final Reminder' from the Motor Tax office, apparently my tax is out since the end of April. I was shocked, as I usually renew my tax online as soon as I get the renewal form.

I went out to the car checked the disc, and of course it expired at the end of April. I don't know how I forgot, I then checked my credit card payments and I obviously didn't renew.

My problem is that I can’t find the original renewal document with the PIN number to renew online.
    Do I have to call into a tax office to renew or can I request a new PIN or do it over the phone?

I am out of the country from tomorrow for a week and a bit and the letter did say that if the renewal isn’t received within 14 days the gardai would be informed.

D’oh !!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

whippet wrote:
    In the post yesterday I got a 'Final Reminder' from the Motor Tax office, apparently my tax is out since the end of April. I was shocked, as I usually renew my tax online as soon as I get the renewal form.

I went out to the car checked the disc, and of course it expired at the end of April. I don't know how I forgot, I then checked my credit card payments and I obviously didn't renew.

My problem is that I can’t find the original renewal document with the PIN number to renew online.
    Do I have to call into a tax office to renew or can I request a new PIN or do it over the phone?

I am out of the country from tomorrow for a week and a bit and the letter did say that if the renewal isn’t received within 14 days the gardai would be informed.

D’oh !!!

If you are going away for a while just use the normal postal service - it will be there when you return. The 'informing the Gardai' is a formality. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you regularly come to their attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

You can just go into your local Motor tax office and renew it - Roughly same thing happened to me (except guarda noticed it before me - tax office sent renewal to wrong address) and I got it renewed within 10 minutes.
    You can ring them and ask them to send out a new pin. Not too sure if Guards will accept this though......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

go the office , fill out the form (can't use pin when its overdue anyway) they will give you a disc on the spot...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

yup, go to tax office or send cheque in post if you are going out of country (are you taking the car out of the country? if so, this might be tricky). Post is best bet, imho, as disk will be waiting for you when you get back

you cant get the pin re-issued :(

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭NauP

My tax is out since end of March (car off the road....) anyone get the gardai to sign off on this so as to avoid the back dates fees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

NauP wrote:
    My tax is out since end of March (car off the road....) anyone get the gardai to sign off on this so as to avoid the back dates fees?

I've never had a problem with the Guards when doing this, just go down to your local station and fill in the form.

Advertisement