Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RemoteInstall what have I missed ?

• 28-06-2006 10:16am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have setup RIS on two different servers with XP as the client.
    Install RIS reboot
    Run the admin tool to copy files across
    Stop / Start the remote install service
    reboot
    Unauthorized and reauthorised the DHCP server
    Tried on a member server and a DC that has DNS and DHCp

But I can't get clients to PXE boot.

Clients can PXE boot from a Knoppix terminal session.

If I manually setup a tftp server an edit the DCHP settings to point at an image then part of the XP boot process occurs, but if I have to go down that road I'll give up on RIS and use http://unattended.sourceforge.net instead.

These DHCP options allow some PXE startup when done manually but wern't setup by the RIS setup - should they bey ?
    • #60 = Client Identifier (set to "PXEClient")
    • #66 = Boot Server Host Name
    • #67 = BootFile Name

I've a feeling I've missed a big step somewhere.
    Yes I've set it up for all clients to connect in AD porperties on the Server thats sharing the files and the folder is set to everyone read (folder is not shared though)

I have not tweaked any unattended answer scripts yet until I can get some response on the client
    Do I need to setup a PC first and then copy an image back off it or is that only an advanced option.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Lets see do i remember -Authorised with domain controller? (MCSA exams answer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

what happens when you try to boot the clients? what cards are they using? are the drivers loaded for the NIC cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Just for info.
    Have you set the nics to PXE boot?

I also had an issue last year some time where I couldnt get a NIC to boot into PXE mode even though it was giving me the option in the menu, it turned I had to dl a new driver from Dell and enable some setting in the Bios to get it to work. Took some time to figure that little beauty out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Have setup RIS on two different servers with XP as the client.
    Install RIS reboot
    Run the admin tool to copy files across
    Stop / Start the remote install service
    reboot
    Unauthorized and reauthorised the DHCP server
    Tried on a member server and a DC that has DNS and DHCp

But I can't get clients to PXE boot.

Clients can PXE boot from a Knoppix terminal session.

If I manually setup a tftp server an edit the DCHP settings to point at an image then part of the XP boot process occurs, but if I have to go down that road I'll give up on RIS and use http://unattended.sourceforge.net instead.

These DHCP options allow some PXE startup when done manually but wern't setup by the RIS setup - should they bey ?
    • #60 = Client Identifier (set to "PXEClient")
    • #66 = Boot Server Host Name
    • #67 = BootFile Name

I've a feeling I've missed a big step somewhere.
    Yes I've set it up for all clients to connect in AD porperties on the Server thats sharing the files and the folder is set to everyone read (folder is not shared though)

I have not tweaked any unattended answer scripts yet until I can get some response on the client
    Do I need to setup a PC first and then copy an image back off it or is that only an advanced option.

Capt'n Midnight needing help ? what has the world come to!

Anyways i presume your using Server 2003 with SP1 and updates installed, if you have gone through the ris steps that is perfect;

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;325862 <-- link to

Thats your server checked out perfect from the info you have given us.

If you followed everything above correct you should be installing whatever o.s it is right now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭jamesd

Check on the dhcp server that ris is actually authorised - Also in the ris settinsg theres a box that says accect ris clients which needs to be ticked - if im at one of our ris sites tmor I;'ll check where it is - We've it goign in 3 sites and it's grea t - had terrible trouble with dell nics and pxe boot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I think the good Captain has forgotton this lowly thread.. hopefully he fixed the issue :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

not yet - just tonnes of other more urgent stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭osmethod

This link may help you captain...

http://pxes.sourceforge.net/howtos/ms_only_environment/

Unattended (sourceforge) can be a pita to maintain afterwards...

Are you using the flat file RIS method or Riprep (Ghost Like) Ris Method?

Using sysprep you can also potentially configure 1 image to deploy to different hardware boxes...

osmethod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

osmethod wrote:
    This link may help you captain...

http://pxes.sourceforge.net/howtos/ms_only_environment/

Unattended (sourceforge) can be a pita to maintain afterwards...

Are you using the flat file RIS method or Riprep (Ghost Like) Ris Method?

Using sysprep you can also potentially configure 1 image to deploy to different hardware boxes...

osmethod

Indeed using Windows PE with a VBScript, RIS has some nice features over ghost such as the ability to change you HAL settings on a hal basis.

Advertisement