Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Twinned towns

Options
  • 28-06-2006 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Wasn't sure where to post this and I know this twinned town thing has been around for years but what does it actually mean?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

junii wrote:
    Wasn't sure where to post this and I know this twinned town thing has been around for years but what does it actually mean?

It means that local councillors get on at least one foreign junket a year.
    jd

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

jd wrote:
    It means that local councillors get on at least one foreign junket a year.
    jd
    But isn't Dublin 'twinned' with something like 3 other cities? That's a whole lot of junkets... good thing they don't know the way to San Jose.

EDIT: Yep 3 cities... along with San Jose.. we also have Barcelona and Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

And what is the function of this junket?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Well the EU spends over €10 million on these projects each year... I guess a lot of that goes towards goodwill missions.

It does all seem a bit pointless though... If I were to ask a bunch of people in Dublin and a bunch of people in San Jose I'd be very surprised if any of them knew the cities were twinned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

The whole twinning concept was develloped after WWII primarily between French and German towns. It was part of the whole idea of trying to stop further wars between the two countries by promoting cultural awareness between the two. By twinning towns people had a focal point on which to focus and therefore learn more about their foreign brethern therefore reducing ignorance and helping to promote peace. Not quite sure why it spread. Probably to promote a sense of cultral cohesiveness and greater understanding within the European Community.

• Advertisement
Advertisement