Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Of course there's no broadband

• 28-06-2006 11:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭

Eircom have been telling us that broadband is only months away for the past 3 years so our town had enough of it and we decided to set up our own wireless network, experts where contacted, hardware was bought and bandwidth was arranged. all the site serveys went ahead and everything looked like a go.

We had gotten the broadband from an Italian company for less than €5000 but just before everything was about to be set up an Irish company contacted and let us in on the monopoly that they would over the Irish broadband market and if we wanted to get broadband into the town we would have to pay them €30,000 for the bandwidth. We where expecting Eircom to ruin all our work as we've heard they roll out ADSL at a cheeper price just after towns set up there own network but who the **** are E-net (I think that's the name, it's been a while now).

It's not a big deal to get broadband around the country, the technology is cheep and just about any old fool could read the manual and set things up. Technologys like that these days it's idiot proff but thanks to cartel system that works in Ireland most of us are never going to see it. What makes it even more annoying is the towns ether side of us have broadband. Now we're being treated like lepers! The people in charge are holding back broadband for rural Ireland there are no practical explanation for why broadband hasn't been rolled out in some shape or form in most towns across Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

E-net are the company that are managing the MAN's (Municipal Area Networks) for the government. You would need them for backhaul or did you have backhaul lined up with someone else?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ScumLord wrote:
    The people in charge are holding back broadband for rural Ireland there are no practical explanation for why broadband hasn't been rolled out in some shape or form in most towns across Ireland.

Two Words. Noel Dempsey .

Noel will furthermore shortly give eircom lots of money with no strings attached to take out the competition in towns like yours very shortly. Can ye not get ANY wireless backhaul FFS instead of (looks like to me) a 2Mbit leased line from eircom. Do not go to your local TD because Noel will not even listen to his own Dáil Communications Committee or answer ANY of their questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I don't know the full in's and out's of it it's been a while since I was told this, I just decided to rant when I saw there was a broadband forum and the board was slowly loading over my crappy dail up connection.

As far as I know everything was comming from this Italian company until Enet stuck it's oar in. We got grants for this and everything, the government actually gave us most the money to pay for everything then right at the end we find we can't go through with it because of a government group the whole things been a complete waste of money and time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Two Words. Noel Dempsey .

Stop cursing Sponge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ScumLord wrote:
    As far as I know everything was comming from this Italian company until Enet stuck it's oar in. We got grants for this and everything, the government actually gave us most the money to pay for everything then right at the end we find we can't go through with it because of a government group the whole things been a complete waste of money and time.

First of all stop babbling :(

Explain your problem in the right forum and explain what went wrong. I still do not understand what went wrong and nor does anyone else I'll wager .

The right forum for advice is

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60

Noel Dempsey will pull his funding at the least excuse and then ye are rightly fecked .

• Advertisement
Advertisement