Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Integrating Respect for Nature into Christianity

Options
  • 28-06-2006 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭

ConConnor wrote:
    ... the Druids saved the Light. This they did by being invisible and by presenting their truth as an advanced awareness of the true Christian way that they had adopted from before the time of St. Patrick onwards. These Druids dressed as Monks went to Europe and held the highest teaching models of the time. Irish Universities (read as invisible Druid schools) were established all over Europe.

I would be very interested in ideas about how one might integrate respect for nature into a sort of ordinary Christian belief system.

I would also be very interested in information as to the Druidic roots of the great irish foundations like Munster and St Gall.

Is it possible to attend druidic worship if one is a Christian?

MM

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would see that as easy enough given that nature and all it's compents are your god's creation as much as you are yourself.
    That in taking time to understand, compemplate and be in awe of nature would be admiring his handy work and make you feel more connected to the world you live in that he created for you.
    There are many lessons to be learn in this way, one of them is pointed out in the new testemant that god provides for the sparrow and he has provided for you if you have the wit to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

There are a great many Druids who are also Christians. Have a look at www.irishdruidnetwork.org there might be someone in your area you can contact for info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I would be very interested in ideas about how one might integrate respect for nature into a sort of ordinary Christian belief system.
    I'm not qualified to say what is an "ordinary Christian belief system". Now if we take "ordinary" as what is commonly labelled as such, then as a rule ordinary Christianity and ordinary Paganism aren't really compatible.

However, that's a rather arbitrary definition of "ordinary".

There are certainly people who combine Christian and Pagan influences in a variety of ways. Of course, you can find Pagan influences in Christian practices and Christian influences in Pagan practices, but these are more often cultural influences from the culture around on faith upon the culture on the other, rather than religious influences per se - e.g. the well known influences between Solstice and Christmas celebrations don't actually impact much upon either Pagan views of the solstice itself or Christian views of the nativity of Christ).

Beyond that there have been people who have gone much further than this in combining the two. Some viewing Pagan paths from a Christian viewpoint have come to the conclusion that this is an expression of the same divinity that they worship, and have not had any difficulty in introducing Pagan influences into their religious views and practices.

Conversely some viewing Christianity from a Pagan viewpoint see Jehovah as another tribal god, and Christ as another resurrected sacrificial hero with strong corn and wine associations. And introduce Christ to their views and practices as such.

Personally, I don't see how this is compatible with Jehovah's commandment that his worshippers not worship other gods, but that's their view, not mine.

More generally, in terms of integrating respect for nature into Christian practices there have been plenty of Christians who have done so; immediately St Francis of Assisi, and the Transcendentalists both come to mind.

Incidentally, not all Pagans define their views as being a nature religion per se (I don't, though the power of nature is still very important in my world view).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ConConnor

Hi all,
    Quote - “Is it possible to attend druidic worship if one is a Christian?”
    As a practing Druid claiming to be distinctly Celtic can I declare in no uncertain terms that I do not worship anything. I would see worship as a dictate from those who suggest seperation from the eternally creative consciousness (the Gods) as a means of ongoing domination of the majority by a minority.
    The word ‘religion’ is from Latin and it means ‘tied by ligament’. I reckon that the religious are tied by ligament to their books of scriptures from a long time ago. As such - religion is stuck in time (ie the past) and to the meaning of words as interpreted by the priests of that religion. Celtic Druidism is not a religion nor is there any need for worship. Celtic Druidism is a spiritual path to gaining and holding inner Light and expressing your higher self. This path does not lead anywhere but as a Celtic Druid you have to walk it all the time. Walking this path is only possible by being balanced and in your centre. To be in your centre is to achieve a balance between thinking and intuiting. It is only in your centre that you can discover and express your magical higher self.
    (full article at http://www.druidschool.com/site/1030100/page/471203 )
    But to directly answer the intention of the question - Yes, Christians are welome to join us at ceremony - details of our next Full Moon ceremony on Tara and a link to a report on the Solstice with pictures are at http://www.druidschool.com/site/1030100/page/853597 . There are many people attending from abroad and its possible that many different religions were represented. This is a free and open ceremony with the intention of saving Tara Valley that has been held on Tara on every Full Moon since Lunar Samhain 2003 and the contributors to this thread are all welcome to attend Tara, Tuesday, 8pm, 11th of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

I'd beg to differ. The Celt 'worshipped' or utilised a pantheon in much the same way as the Egyptians, Greeks or American Indian. The American Indians have a distinct spiritual path but they do regard it as a religion (ref. Vine Deloria has written extensively on NA religion). To say that Druidry is not a religion is your feelings on the matter. Many other Druids regard it as not only a spiritual path but a religion. By religion I don't mean the dogmatic systems typical of Christianity, Islam and Judaism but there is a clear recognition of diety and prayer/reverence/communication by many who are involved in Druidry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

Talliesin wrote:
    Incidentally, not all Pagans define their views as being a nature religion per se (I don't, though the power of nature is still very important in my world view).
    Is it Animism of some sort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

ConConnor wrote:
    Hi all,
    contributors to this thread are all welcome to attend Tara, Tuesday, 8pm, 11th of July.
    Many Thanks

MM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ConConnor

Hi Joseph,
    I do not understand why people need ancient cultures to have similar worship attitudes to those prevelant today in the white western world...

Perhaps most archaelogical and antropological studies are done by modern religious people who are seeing through stained glass of their gods...

My path as a Celtic Druid is a spiritual path but for the easy of expression I will often allow those who cannot understand the basis of what I mean by "spiritual path" to call my 'way' a religion.

By religion I mean the dogmatic systems typical of Christianity, Islam and Judaism that are based on books. Celtic Druids predate all this written carry-on. I dont try to live in the past but I do seek the wisdom of the attitude of the Druids and pre-Druids from the past.

I try to live in the here and now
    Grá

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

a clear recognition of diety and prayer/reverence/communication
    But that does not equal worship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Talliesin wrote:
    Is it Animism of some sort?
    My own path is primarily a fetility religion - that is the part of nature that is of most importance to me spiritually is the cycles of reproduction, birth and death upon which our existence depends (both since we are part of it, and also everything else in nature that we depend upon to survive).

This is not to say I don't see nature as spiritually significant outside of that, but it is that cycle that is a focus for me.

I do have animist beliefs, that is to say I do believe in the ability to contact the spirits of ancestors and genii loci, but again they aren't a particular spritual focus for me personally, though they would be for some that would describe themselves as Pagan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement